• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What are you reading now?

I just finished this one up a few weeks ago. What I like about this book is it wasn't your basic Seal candidate survives BUDS then Hell Week. This one is the story of a life. Takes ya though his you growing up in Little Rock AK. Meeting up with the wrong lady getting hooked on drugs going to Jail. Meeting a great woman struggling to stay off drugs for his wife and baby daughter. He gets a break joins the Navy lucks out and gets to go to SEAL training succeeding then having many setbacks. And through it all becomeing a SEAL legend and Maybe the most highly respected Navy Seal ever. Great read couldn't recommend it any stronger. This one will make even the strongest persons eyes water up. True story of Chris "I Got This Chief" Brown.

51RV7Etv9NL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-66,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Waiting in the wings is Killing Kennedy.

I usually have 6-12 books on the go at any given time (mostly scientific texts etc. so I like to read them in manageable bites). Top of the bedside night table right now is a reprint of the first edition of Darwin's On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life. Absolutely fascinating - and I'm kicking myself that all I'd ever read previously were excerpts from later editions.

I always have a book, or two, on my night table.

Currently reading...

sylviaplathjournals.jpg

and

The-Bond-Wayne-Pacelle.jpg

Sylvia Plath is a favorite of mine. She expressed herself intimately in prose and poetry. Also known for her semi-auto biographical novel...

the-bell-jar-400x400.jpg

The Bond is incredible, so much insight from Wayne Pacelle regarding our kinship with all creatures great and small.

I really wanted "The White Spider" by the same author but it was going to take 2 to 4 weeks , so I thought I would read this instead. Never saw the Brad Pitt movie.

41WMYreHbXL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU15_.jpg

and

41lzLPREH1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

It's been 10-15 years since I last read a Dean Koontz novel. Prior to that I read everything he published.

Anyhow, I'm working my way through Innocence this weekend. Compelling, if Koontz-formulaic, story with the usual oddball characters and subject matter. Not quite a page turner, but close.

Jeff

Attachments

• Innocence.jpg
    Innocence.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,378
51vbg934AKL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This was a Christmas present from my wife this year. And yes, it's exactly what it sounds like - Star Wars (ep. IV) written as a Shakespeare play. It's really well done!

"... Nay Nay,
Thou overladen glob of grease, thou imp, thou rubbish bucket fit for scrap, thou blue
And silver pile of bantha dung!"

- C-3PO (to R2-D2)

JeffMackwood said:
It's been 10-15 years since I last read a Dean Koontz novel. Prior to that I read everything he published.

Anyhow, I'm working my way through Innocence this weekend. Compelling, if Koontz-formulaic, story with the usual oddball characters and subject matter. Not quite a page turner, but close.

Jeff

I have two Koontz novels...

The Bad Place & Midnight, both are from some time ago. I really enjoyed The Bad Place. Quite suspenseful!

mcad64 said:
Got that one for Xmas and am reading it right now. Maybe it's because I'd heard a bit about it some time ago, but nothing he's said so far surprises me in the least. But perhaps it's because I've also known intuitively about many of the things he's saying. It's a very good book regardless.

Jeff

Another Malcolm Gladwell to add:

david-goliath.jpg

Here he explores the "little guy" conquering the "big guy", using cases from the book's namesake biblical story, child leukemia, class sizes, high school girls basketball, dyslexia, wealth in parenting, the Catholic/Protestant wars in Ireland, Jewish resistance in Nazi Germany, and an extremely interesting look at college entrance exams vs. "name" universities (which had 100% applicability/verification in my own life and is highly recommended reading if you have children preparing for college).

Just ordered a copy. Thanks for the tip Botch.

Jeff

J.K. Rowling's nom de plume. Read the Cuckoo's Calling so we figured what the heck!?? I decent enough read.
51zWmD6wlJL.jpg

Movie was on TV the other night. I have seen it countless times and of course know the outcome. Watched the credits at the end and It said based on the book by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger and I thought "Hhmm...wonder what the book would be like?" In a word, Fantastic!! So much more informative than the movie (not a big surprise I guess) and well written.

9780618619580_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

mcad64 said:
Huh ????????????????????
The thread is titled "What are you reading now?". Well, I was reading the "What are you reading now?" thread.

And I am again. Please don't make me screenshot it a second time.

Wow!! Great read by one of my favourite artists. Mark Oliver Everett (aka E) front man and driving force behind Eels.

51KEydhnL1L.jpg

One of the few benefits of having one's leg in a cast, is that it gives one time to catch up on one's reading while lying prone, leg elevated.

Over the last two years I've embarked on a minor quest to read (and in many cases re-read) Stephen Jay Gould's writings. This consists of dozens of books, most of which are collections of his essays.

I've just finished pouring through Hen's Teeth and Horse's Toes (1983), an amazing grouping of essays dealing principally with evolution and evolutionary biology. On a roll I've jumped right into the next in line, The Flamingo's Smile (1985).

This is pretty heavy reading (I'm happy to make it through a full essay between breaks) but well worth the effort. While time (and new scientific discoveries) have sometimes overtaken some of what Gould wrote about in those, his earlier works, any effort expended by the reader is rewarded many times over.

Jeff

Back