• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What concert/show are you going to?

Couple things:
1. Went out to eat before the show and service was unusually slow so we didn't get to the arena until 8:00. Attendant said Metric ended at 7:45 and Smashing Pumpkins were starting at 8:15. I figured we'd be heading home around 10:30...

2. Billy Corgan is much taller than I expected. Dude is 6'3"

3. And he SHREDS on the guitar. I guess I never paid attention; I just thought he'd be rhythm guitar, not lead.

4. They played for over 3.5 hours!

What a great show last night!

Seeing Chick, John and Dave was just mind blowing.........

You would never know that Chick is 77! His fingers just floats across the keyboard.

John's bass playing is beyond phenomenal.

Dave's drum solo and his playing throughout the night...........WOW!

A couple crappy photos.............

140.JPG

145.JPG

Tonight I am heading off to the Old Coupland Dance Hall (an old-west train stop, saloon, hotel, brothel built in the 1800s) to see Bob Schneider with his band. I am excited!

Two nights in a row, both extremely Austin in my mind.

Friday Night
Old Coupland Dance Hall in Coupland, TX (about 30 miles from Austin)
Bob Schneider Band

it was Bob Schneider who was amazing at a venue which could not have been better. It was a proper old-school, classic deep Texas dancehall with creaky floors, wobbly stools, heavy-pouring sassy barmaids, cowboy couples country dancing to anything with a beat, sort of place. I was ecstatic the entire time as it wasn't too loud, wasn't too crowded, and it was the sort of place where women would go dance four or five songs and feel perfectly comfortable leaving their purses, phones, and drinks openly laying on their seats or tables without haven't to worry someone might do something nefarious. LOVED IT!!! Bob and his band were right on point, as well. They even appeared to truly enjoy performing "40 Dogs" to end the show. This is the type of experience used to get when I moved to Austin which is fading away in the city as classic old venues are dying out and any decent show tends to be packed shoulder to shoulder by people who really aren't there for the music.

Here's two photos, one panorama of the Old Coupland Dance Hall from the rear corner, and one of the Bob Schneiber band while they were singing "40 Dogs."

2018_09_14_BobSchneider_CouplandDancehall_01.jpg
2018_09_14_BobSchneider_CouplandDancehall_02.jpg

Saturday Night
Dell Hall at the Long Center, downtown Austin
Austin Symphony Orchestra

Then, last night I attended the 2018-19 season opener for the Austin Symphony Orchestra with a program titled "The Mighty Russians III". I had attended the first two Russian composer performances, so this was great. Lise de la Salle, the guest pianist, was lovely, though not as mature a performer as needed for these pieces, the instrument she was playing, and the room she was in. I felt the difficult and dense music demanded clarity and at times she was so muddled it just sounded like she pressed the sustain pedal and proceeded to hammer every key down. I've heard this Rachmaninoff piece performed live several times and listened to it being rehearsed in my home quite a bit, and yet I was a bit lost in her playing too often compared to even students working on it. However, the orchestra was amazing and I loved how some of the uniquely Tchaikovsky moments actually made the audience gasp out loud and burst into applause before the reverb of the last notes had faded away and the amazing conductor and musical director, Peter Bay, lowered his baton. This was the program:
  • Alexander Glazunov Carnaval Overture, Op. 45
  • Sergei Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 1 in F-sharp Minor, Op. 1
  • Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky Manfred, Op. 58
Sorry, I didn't take any photos, but I put some links to others' photos of the venue, complex, and city location in the title of this section.

So, two great nights of completely different musical pieces.

Saw grandson last Saturday night. If you like Rage Against the Machine, check them out:

And Monday night we went to see lovelytheband:

Friday night will be Fall Out Boy...

I just picked up tickets to see Tony Levin and Stickmen at a great little venue next Thursday. COOL!

Tonight's the night! I may have to take a butt load of Advil after spending 90 minutes in the dentist's chair getting my old front teeth's crowns removed and temps put on, so I might have more tinnitus than normal, but such is life. I am still going to see Tony Levin play the Chapman Stick with his friends for two hours!!!

What an incredible show! I got to sit just feet away from Marcus Reuter for 2.5 hours of incredible music and entertainment. What a show! The venue was very small, about 150 seats, and there was a reception afterwards to meet and chat with the band, Stickmen. Tony is very small, surprisingly small considering the dominant presence he presents on stage.

Stickmen_2018_09_27.jpg

I just got home from an amazing performance of Leonard Bernstein's music performed by the Austin Symphony Orchestra. It was amazing! I wasn't thrilled to hear Lennie, as all the performances I've been to or heard recordings of were disappointing as the classical musicians weren't capable of the raw energy and groove of latin and jazz music. But this orchestra nailed it and gave me chills. Then I remembers all my prior experiences were performances by musicians who were trained before rock and roll was even invented and jazz was still "colored music." The musicians tonight had likely grown up listening to exciting rock and roll, latin, jazz, and other energetic music, so this stuff probably came very naturally to them.

Wow! I really did get chills on a number of occasions and my respect for Lennie has been restored.

Lisa and I went to see the Yacht Rock Review last night in Boston with a bunch of friends and they were fantastic. They are basically a highly skilled cover band that does soft rock hits from the 70s and early 80s and they dress the part right down to the hair. The show is meant to be escapist and it is. I had a huge smile on my face from the time they started playing until the end of the last encore two and a half hours later. The venue was sold out and 80+ percent of the people there were between the ages of 45 and 65. The band had the entire crowd dancing and singing along. If you are just looking for a really good time, I highly recommend it.

http://www.yachtrockrevue.com/

slideshow1.jpg

Lisa and I went to see the Yacht Rock Review last night in Boston with a bunch of friends and they were fantastic. They are basically a highly skilled cover band that does soft rock hits from the 70s and early 80s and they dress the part right down to the hair. The show is meant to be escapist and it is. I had a huge smile on my face from the time they started playing until the end of the last encore two and a half hours later. The venue was sold out and 80+ percent of the people there were between the ages of 45 and 65. The band had the entire crowd dancing and singing along. If you are just looking for a really good time, I highly recommend it.

http://www.yachtrockrevue.com/

slideshow1.jpg

That sounds like a good time.

CB-in-SFJazz.jpg

Chris Botti is coming to Baltimore next weekend, which I didn't know until it popped up on my facebook feed. I thought, "what the hell let's see how extravagant the prices are..." and clicked on the link. Well wouldn't you know it, there were two fourth row center seats, just screaming out "BUY ME!" and they actually weren't all that bad - $50 each. Not dirt cheap but for someone of Botti's calibre, not terrible. So more or less on impulse, I bought them. I'm a big fan of Botti's, his Boston concert is one of my favorite music vids. I have no idea what sort of group he's currently touring with or what they'll be playing - jazz, pop, (probably) some mix.

I'm actually really stoked about this. It's been quite some time since I been to any sort of live music performance.

Back