• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What concert/show are you going to?

lakedmb

I saw a concert video thread, but didn't see one specifically for concerts that we plan to attend. Any that you guys are planning to attend or would recommend?

My wife and I recently picked up tickets for the following:
  • Cirque du Soleil - Ovo
  • Chris Thile (was a part of Nickel Creek)
  • Keb' Mo'
  • The Avett Brothers

Last edited:
There was a live music thread here, but I went back 7 pages or so and couldn't find it, so you're "It"!
This coming Wednesday, Chicago is coming to the dinky Layton Ampitheater in utard. I almost bought tix when it was announced early Spring, but couldn't see going by myself anymore (I quit dating about six years ago).
Another article on the show today in the paper, and I checked the Layton website just for shits & giggles; the General Admission section was sold out, and the deluxe section (front three rows) had ONE seat left.
I stared at it. I could swear it had a "B" on it.
I boughted it.
I've seen Chicago live a couple times before, and have all their studio albums (don't have all their greatest-hits-rehashes, albums 25 thru 29 or so). AND my first bar band was a 7-piece, I played trombone and congas, and we did a shitload of Chicago tunes (I transcribed the charts!); so, I have a lot of allegiance to this band.
Will be a good time, even though I'm going solo. Stay tuned.

Great time! They touched on most of their hits, but I was surprised how many "non-hits" they played (songs that were almost all favorites of mine too), must've played five songs from their first album alone. Did the full "Ballade for a Girl from Buchanan", "Street Player" (their odd disco record), "Free", and a wonderful, slow, acoustic version of "Rainy Day in NYC". Parazaider's now gone, as was Jason Scheff and Bill Champlin. They still kicked.
I was quite flabbergasted, however, on how old the rest of the crowd was. Weird.

My wife and I saw Pearl Jam (no way) in April. Great shows....3 hours long.

I think we've seen them 13 times now. 4 different states.

Did you know Pearl Jam and 10cc are both named after the same thing?

Holy Crap!

Barb emailed me yesterday that she got an email from the Pabst Theater Group (she signed up for early concert announcements) that Dream Theater is coming to the Riverside Theater. A fairly small venue, not quite as small as The Pabst, but still small.

Tickets went on Pre-Sale today, which she is eligible for. I told her to get tickets, the show is Nov. 1st. But I told her to get as center as possible but nothing on the floor past row 10, then shoot for Front Row Balcony.

Yea Baby...................Front Row Balcony offset slightly to the right. Front Row Balcony is 35' from the stage.

Excited is an understatement!!!

Wow, that would be very cool. What's their current lineup for touring?

I saw Steely Dan with Elvis Costello last year. Honestly, I'd love to see them again. I think that's the best show I've seen. I want to see them again.

I'm going to have to scour the interwebs to see if there is a bootleg CD of that show I could trade for. They opened with a cover of Ray Bryant's "Cubano Chant" and then segued into "Black Cow", then "Aja". Got wood, thinking they were going to do the whole Aja album live, but that was short lived when they went into "Hey Nineteen". It was still great as the first five songs they just pulled the stops and didn't let up. Total sonic nirvana.

The highlight for me was when they did "Pearl of the Quarter". That's probably one of my favorites by the Dan. The drummer touring with them is a Nashville native (where I saw the show).

I thought I had followed this thread up, but must've never hit submit.
  • Cirque du Soleil - Ovo - very fun show. The visuals were so creative and their use of surround sound was impressive. This could be a neat show to take younger kids to as well since there is a bit of comedy built in, though very little English. I believe they were speaking French, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure.

• Chris Thile (was a part of Nickel Creek) - I left this concert with mixed feelings. While he was an amazing mandolin player, I didn't think he was strong enough for 100% solo act. Throughout the show I kept waiting for a moment when a backing band would appear and play some tunes with him. I would go see him in a festival type of setting, but probably not as a solo act again. He was crazy talented and entertaining though.

• Keb' Mo' - one of my favorite blues artists. His take on blues is very unique as he's a west coast guy, though you wouldn't realize that listening to his music. Has such a soulful voice that I can listen to him all day. He sang a few songs solo with an acoustic guitar or steel guitar, but his backing band was great and their chemistry was perfectly in sync. Between some songs he'd give a little background about himself and the music, which was very entertaining. The guy next to us mentioned that the last time he had seen him perform was in the early 80's. Very highly recommended if you enjoy the blues genre or even solo acoustic acts.

• The Avett Brothers - very solid show from start to finish. The crowd wasn't my favorite, but the performance was great. I didn't know much of their music going in, but my wife really liked them. If you enjoy the newer bluegrass/folk/rock genre, they are a fun band to see. If you get a chance to see them in a smaller venue, I think they would be amazing.

Last edited:
In October I also went down to Charleston, which is about a 3 hour drive, and saw Phish.

• Phish - Whether you like their music or not, their shows have an energy that I can never quite capture at any other concert. While vocals are not their strong point, they are probably the most musically gifted group as a whole that I have ever experienced. I've been a huge fan of theirs since the late 90's and it still amazes me that they are able to create some of the music with only four musicians. Their lighting designer, Chris Kuroda, is on another level as well. A quick Google search of him or "Phish Light Rig" will allow you to see some of his creative genius over the years. While some bands setups struggle to fill large venues, the lighting rig that Phish uses looks right at home in large arenas and their stage presence is spot on. Not only do I highly recommend everyone to see them if they are nearby, but if you are in the Atlanta/Knoxville/Asheville/Charleston/Charlotte/Raleigh areas and want to go, chances are I'll have an extra ticket. We typically bring one extra ticket in the event that a last minute guest can attend. Also, all shows come with a free MP3 (FLAC upgrade for a small fee) download with the ticket number.

^^^ Umphrey's McGee is performing at Red Rocks in CO next 1 July, may be worth a nice motorcycle ride.

Lionel Ritchie is coming here, with Mariah Carey opening; I think it should be the other way around.

^^^ Umphrey's McGee is performing at Red Rocks in CO next 1 July, may be worth a nice motorcycle ride.

Lionel Ritchie is coming here, with Mariah Carey opening; I think it should be the other way around.

I'd definitely make the trip Red Rocks. They're playing up in Asheville, which is just under 1.5 hrs away, in their large arena two nights and then in a small club on Sunday. I think I'm going to do one arena night and then the club night. Two completely different atmospheres should be interesting.

It is weird to think that Mariah Carey is an opening act now. I guess she has only been relevant in the news because of her personal life for several years.

Take that back!
Heh. No.
mariah-carey-4dde8d481b3f2.jpg

We are going to see Yes formally (Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman) at the Riverside Theater on 9/9/17; 11 rows back center...............

I am so freakin' excited!!!

Last edited:
Back