• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What concert/show are you going to?

I am still in awe!

Last night I attended a joint concert of the Austin Symphony Orchestra with grammy winning Conspirare Choir performing Brahms Requiem. I've never heard this piece live, and I was lost in reverie the entire time.

If you ever get the opportunity to see a performance of a huge (60+ member) choir performing an amazing piece like this, do it! Few things can move your spirit to heights of ecstacy like a huge choir doing their thing.

I just looked at the program, it was more like 120 singers in the choir. Insane. I had chills running through my skin almost the entire time they were singing. It was amazing.

It's a powerful piece, especially when those timpanis get going.

I am still in awe!

Last night I attended a joint concert of the Austin Symphony Orchestra with grammy winning Conspirare Choir performing Brahms Requiem. I've never heard this piece live, and I was lost in reverie the entire time.

If you ever get the opportunity to see a performance of a huge (60+ member) choir performing an amazing piece like this, do it! Few things can move your spirit to heights of ecstacy like a huge choir doing their thing.

If anyone wants to hear this performance, and I highly recommend it, they are playing a recording of it on March 17. Most people can stream the local Austin classical station online:

You miss this epic concert? No worries. Our friends at KMFA Classical 89.5 got you covered. Listen in on March 17 at 7:00 p.m CST.

https://www.kmfa.org/episodes/3780-...VPUZOeMg9y_hkg-KSYZpwxhMuJX_1RIn6l6s663jtoJt4

Well apparently @Towen7 and I went to the Rodeo at the same time to see Kings of Leon. That said, I completely can't stand the acoustics in NRG stadium so any concert stinks there. This particular one was bass heavy that really drowned out the lead singer's voice but I think about 4 songs in corrected this. But I would not say I had a blast.

Going to The Black Keys and Modest Mouse tour coming to Houston in November. Woohoo. I haven't bought tickets but I will be going once tickets go on sale. I saw The Black Keys when they performed at venues that were hole-in-the-walls.

... I completely can't stand the acoustics in NRG stadium so any concert stinks there. This particular one was bass heavy that really drowned out the lead singer's voice but I think about 4 songs in corrected this. But I would not say I had a blast.

Ditto
To be honest, NRG is a fairly awful place to see a concert. Even the best seats are a mile from the stage and the acoustics are terrible. I only go to a show or two per season and when I get cheap tickets.

Jon Anderson - 1000 Hands Tour WOW, 4th Row Center........ Would have never know about this if we didn't pick up the Sherpherd Express Entertainment Paper.

“I’m looking forward to putting on a great show,” Anderson said in a statement. “We’re going to do a lot of Yes music and some songs I haven’t sung in a while, and we’re going to do some songs from 1,000 Hands. I’m thrilled to be playing with Michael, his brother Tim, and all of the great musicians in this band. To be able to go out and give music to the fans is one of the greatest treasures in my life. We promise everybody a really special evening.”

Venue 2300 seats:

https://www.marcuscenter.org/venue-space/venues/uihlein-hall

Last edited:
Earlier this month we saw Tedeschi Trucks Band. They had two bands open for them, Shovels and Rope (excellent duo) and BlackBerry Smoke (did not enjoy. It seemed like a band version of Duck Dynasty).

If you get an opportunity to see Tedeschi Trucks, I highly recommend going. Susan’s Tedeschi has an incredible voice and Derek Trucks will go down in history as one of the best electric slide players.

We have Indigo Girls and Keb Mo coming up in September.

We saw There Struts, Bones UK and The Glorious Sons at the House of Blues in Boston last night. The Struts are amazing and I honestly think Luke Spiller could go toe to toe with Mercury or Jagger in their prime. He is that good.

20190730_213711.jpg

Attachments

• 20190730_215338.jpg
    20190730_215338.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1
We saw Bush and Live on Sunday night. Over twenty years in KC and this was our first concert at this venue (outdoor theater) and it was pretty nice. We went with my sister-in-law who is a huge Bush fan and our seats were in a back corner section, 8th row from the very back. During the set, Gavin Rossdale, Bush's lead singer, walked through our section and sis-in-law was able to pat him on the back. He then hopped up on a seat a couple rows behind us to belt out a few lines. It was cool.

Holy shit, guess who I'm going to see on Friday night?

345x290.jpg

Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo and Melissa Etheridge

Just for the hell of it, I went to browse the schedule for Tanglewood - which is about 15 minutes from the resort we're currently at - and this came up! We've got 8th row center(ish) tickets, so stoked.

GF sent me a text and she just picked up 3rd row Orchestra Pit for Lenny Kravitz and a couple weeks ago I bought tix for Blues Traveler.

@PaulyT so jealous. I would love to see both of them. Somebody Bring Me Some Water cuz Hell Is For Children!!!

Man, that was really terrible. Mods feel free to suspend me or something for that horrible attempt at humor!!!

Holy shit, guess who I'm going to see on Friday night?

345x290.jpg

Pat Benatar & Neil Giraldo and Melissa Etheridge

Just for the hell of it, I went to browse the schedule for Tanglewood - which is about 15 minutes from the resort we're currently at - and this came up! We've got 8th row center(ish) tickets, so stoked.
I'm curious. Who is headlining and who is supporting? Or is it a co-bill kind of thing?
Mike
PS: Just for shits and giggles when Benatar is playing yell "Play that Mellencamp song!!"

Last edited:
Who is headlining and who is supporting? Or is it a co-bill kind of thing?
Not really sure, from what the description says it seems they'll all be up there together on stage... I don't know what to expect exactly, dunno how many other supporting band members there will be, etc. I'll let you know.

It was a great show. My pictures are shit because I only had my phone, and we were "encouraged" not to use them. So I didn't take many after the show started.

Melissa Etheridge, probably the only semi-decent pic I got:

IMG_20190830_192436661-X3.jpg

Anyway, it was a great show. Etheridge "opened" (though it was really more of a double billing) and sang for ~1.5 hrs. She's quite a rocker! I'm not all that terribly familiar with her stuff, but I recognized some. My favorite part was where she grabbed a couple of drumsticks and did a duet with her drummer, kinda playing around him.

Then they stripped the entire stage and rebuilt it for Benatar/Giraldo. I knew these two had worked together for a long time and are co-authors of a lot of her songs, but I somehow never realized that they're actually married, and have been for 30 years. Benatar performed for maybe 1:15, I wish she had gone a little longer, but she was great - talked to the crowd a bit, described some stuff she's working on currently (a musical from which they performed one song), did a lot of her big hit songs as well as some less familiar stuff. Man she can still sing!

The sound in the venue was well balanced, on the loud side but not too extreme - I didn't have any ear plugs because I hadn't planned on going to a rock concert when we left home... My ears are still ringing a bit. The other musicians in the bands were kinda ... meh ... with the exception of Etheridge's drummer who was very interesting IMHO. Benatar's drummer was solid but ... uninspiring I guess. Same with both bassists.

But anyway, it was basically a double concert and well worth the price of admission! I've never seen Benatar perform before, not even on video, so it was cool to see her in particular. Definitely one of my all time favorite female vocalists.

Back