• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Do I Need?

Zing said:
Re: Squeezebox - Amazon is selling the Duet for $299. That's all the SB I need, correct? There isn't some other Logitech/Squeezebox item/component I would also need, is there?

Correct, that's a self-sufficient unit. The nice thing about the duet is if you want more than one receiver (different systems in different rooms), you can add another one cheap - and control both from the same remote.

Zing said:
To address some comments that haven't been addressed...Yromj, my pre/pro does not do DNLA. It's the first gen Integra DTC-9.8. Monster, I do have a surplus PC but I don't think I want to use it. It's old, big and would require a few upgrades to make it useable in a WiFi capacity. Honestly, I've been considering destroying its HDDs and just pitching it.........

If you can locate that PC to where you could connect it to your network via Ethernet, then you won't have to worry about it being WiFi. WiFi would be handled by your router, not that PC.

I would take that PC, add a couple of massive drives in it and make it as a dedicated server to be shared by the rest of your devices. That would be a really cheap way to getting what you want.

Yesfan70 said:
I would take that PC, add a couple of massive drives in it and make it as a dedicated server to be shared by the rest of your devices. That would be a really cheap way to getting what you want.

Zing,
I have a 4 year old Seagate Barracuda 500GB internal hard drive laying around that hasn't been used in a year that I'd be willing to donate to the cause if you decide to go this route.

CMonster said:
Zing,
I have a 4 year old Seagate Barracuda 500GB internal hard drive laying around that hasn't been used in a year that I'd be willing to donate to the cause if you decide to go this route.
Thank you very much! I'll keep that in mind but I really think the Duet route is the better option for me.

As I mentioned earlier, I could be happy just sitting in my chair with my notebook in my lap browsing and listening but I'm also thinking about my wife's useage of this. The stereo system is in a room just off the kitchen and she frequently plays something while she cooks/bakes. Having the Duet controller within reach on the counter would be heaven for her.

What do you need? How's about a swift kick to the ass!!! That's what you need!!!

I can send you a computer with a decent sized hard drive and a network jack to run Slimserver on and to store the music file. Just pay me $100 for shipping and it's yours. It is an old computer, but it runs.

Flint said:
I can send you a computer with a decent sized hard drive and a network jack to run Slimserver on and to store the music file. Just pay me $100 for shipping and it's yours. It is an old computer, but it runs.
Oh snap! I wish I would've known that earlier. I just wrote a really big check to hire Bill Gates and Steve Jobs to come here and custom-build a media server for me. Drat the luck!

FYI, you can control the SB from any computer on your network, via web browser. I do this all the time when I'm working, it's often more convenient that using the separate remote.

Zing,
Do you or the misses have iPhones?

If so just get an Apple TV for $100 and stream everything to your system. Then both you and the misses can control it all from your iphones.

Also, you get get post your favorite pics on your TV or album covers while its playing... it's a nice touch.

Razz said:
Zing,
Do you or the misses have iPhones?

If so just get an Apple TV for $100 and stream everything to your system. Then both you and the misses can control it all from your iphones.

Also, you get get post your favorite pics on your TV or album covers while its playing... it's a nice touch.

There's a very nice iPhone app called iPeng to control the Squeezebox. Does the television have to be on to use Apple TV just for playing music?

No iPhones for either of us but I do own an iPod Touch and Batman just suggested the same thing.

CMonster said:
There's a very nice iPhone app called iPeng to control the Squeezebox. Does the television have to be on to use Apple TV just for playing music?
No it doesn't.

mzpro5 said:
I use a WD Passport HD. Reliable and portable and power is thru the USB.
That's a good one Mz, I just wish it was offered in a capacity larger than 1TB.

Zing said:
mzpro5 said:
I use a WD Passport HD. Reliable and portable and power is thru the USB.
That's a good one Mz, I just wish it was offered in a capacity larger than 1TB.

How many songs do you want to put on it?

1TB will accommodate alot of tunes.

mzpro5 said:

I realize that but I'm thinking long term. I may not fill a 1TB drive this year or next but I bet I would within 2-3 years. Plus, I'd rather have surplus capacity on one unit than have just enough in multiple units.

Zing said:
mzpro5 said:

I realize that but I'm thinking long term. I may not fill a 1TB drive this year or next but I bet I would within 2-3 years. Plus, I'd rather have surplus capacity on one unit than have just enough in multiple units.

If this drive is just for music, then you'll be surprised how long a TB will last. If you're ripping to Lossless (Flac, Apple, or WMA Lossless) then figure about 2 CDs for every Gig since the max amount of space on a CD is 700MB. If you're ripping to MP3, AAC, etc. than you can figure about 10 CDs for every Gig. So a TB will hold about 2000 CDs ripped in Flac or 10,000 in ripped as MP3s.

Zing said:
1000MB = 1GB
and
1000GB = 1TB
right?

Yep. :handgestures-thumbup: A CD is 700MB but while some albums get close to that, none that I have are right at the 700MB mark or 80 minutes. I think some of the bigger albums might come close to 600MB and when they are ripped to lossless, they are usually half that size (350-400MB).

Back