• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What happens when Flint makes a Line Array?

I may never share all of that info, I have learned I have some proprietary skills in designing speakers that I'd like to keep to myself should I go into business building speaker. I did infer which woofer I got by stating its price and size. I also shared some of the info on the enclosures. I'll even share the wiring diagram, but how I design my enclosure around the specs of the woofer I am leaning towards keeping a tad private.

As a note I had one of these woofers delivered and measured it after burn-in prior to designing the enclosures and the enclosures are built exactly to spec, including the amount of material I removed from the internal braces and taking into account the properties of the polyester with which I am filling stuffing the boxes.

So, in a few months maybe even you could buy these speakers for the low low price of an arm and a leg spread over 6 months with no interest.

You are too kind, Flint the philanthropist. LOL.

Ya, actually I get all that. Makes sense, but after all its just us here, who are we gonna tell? :devil:

I will say, my original plan was to make an separate enclosure for each woofer and stack four enclosures on top of each other to get the tower effect. Each single enclosure would have been in the range of approximately 1 cubic foot each. I decided to go with two woofers in a larger enclosure after I realized it would take at least three sheets of MDF to make 8 smaller enclosures versus two full sheets of MDF for the 4 larger enclosures. The drawbacks to the larger enclosures with two woofers each include a need for more bracing which complicates the assembly, heavier & bigger boxes are harder to move around, and there is much less flexibility in their utilization. However, the benefits of larger enclosures include the need for less material, finishing will be easier, and they should be more stable when setup for use.

You are too kind, Flint the philanthropist. LOL.

Ya, actually I get all that. Makes sense, but after all its just us here, who are we gonna tell? :devil:

Also, the measured real world characteristics of the woofers are quite different from the posted specs. This company is incredibly consistent in their manufacturing (they make a ton of affordable OEM drivers for the industry), so I was surprised the specs were as different as I discovered.

Also, the measured real world characteristics of the woofers are quite different from the posted specs. This company is incredibly consistent in their manufacturing (they make a ton of affordable OEM drivers for the industry), so I was surprised the specs were as different as I discovered.

So you had to make adjustments from the original plan, I am sure.

I've been doing glue only joints for decades. Any mechanical fixing methods, like screws, brads, dowels, biscuit, etc., actually weakens the MDF at the joint. I've also discovered that if you ever try to break a glue joint on MDF, it is the material next to the glue breaks, not the glue joint itself. So, while it is a bit more difficult to assemble a box, the glue only joint is the strongest and most reliable.
Thanks.

I have two questions -- now that you've been playing around with this project, would you ever consider:
  1. Going with a Line Array in your main (or other permanent) rig?
  2. Going with an Open Baffle in your main (or other permanent) rig

I'm sure there will be follow up Q's, but I was curious.

I'm betting that now that Flint's a single man on the prowl again, he's already re-converted his master bedroom-based theatre into a shagalicious den of carnal knowledge that would make Austin Powers blush! The IB subs converted to bed-vibrating duty. :)

I have two questions -- now that you've been playing around with this project, would you ever consider:
  1. Going with a Line Array in your main (or other permanent) rig?
  2. Going with an Open Baffle in your main (or other permanent) rig

I'm sure there will be follow up Q's, but I was curious.

1. No
  2. No

I got on a roll this afternoon and assembled the new passive crossovers for the main arrays:
LineArray16.jpg LineArray17.jpg

While I haven't measured anything, yet, the system sounds better than ever.

I replaced a very simple single-pole (6dB / Octave) passive crossover with a more complex and specifically tunes double-pole (12dB / Octave) passive crossover with some inductance compensation on the woofers.

Overall the balance is very good and the midrange is much clearer. I may need to a 1dB to 1.5dB pad on the tweeters, but I'll know better after I measure the response. I plan on tuning the sound to the listening position - with a line array like this measuring at 1 Meter is pointless.

I got on a roll this afternoon and assembled the new passive crossovers for the main arrays:
View attachment 8006 View attachment 8007

While I haven't measured anything, yet, the system sounds better than ever.

I replaced a very simple single-pole (6dB / Octave) passive crossover with a more complex and specifically tunes double-pole (12dB / Octave) passive crossover with some inductance compensation on the woofers.

Overall the balance is very good and the midrange is much clearer. I may need to a 1dB to 1.5dB pad on the tweeters, but I'll know better after I measure the response. I plan on tuning the sound to the listening position - with a line array like this measuring at 1 Meter is pointless.

Great!

How does that crossover effect the overall impedance of that array?

I've been working on the woofer cabinets, but it is going pretty slowly. I want them to look nice, but I am not inclined to go all out for a full on high gloss perfect finish. I am thinking perhaps I would go with a dark semi-gloss grey finish, though I might consider a sunburst on the front baffle.

Back