• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Instrument Do You Play?

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
NO! The skin flute doesn't count! :teasing-tease:

Seriously, who plays and what instrument is it? I already know...
...Botch - Keyboards
...Flint - Drums
...Doghart - Guitar
...Pauly - Piano (and maybe bass)
...Batman - just starting on drums
...Heeman - Piano

Who'd I miss?

Anyone else?

I plaved bass when I was younger. I still have my Fender Jazz bass I bought back in 1990. My brother uses it a lot in his band.

Gotta flesh out my resume. I've played professionally (meaning I got paid, not that I was any good):
Fiddle (although I was pretty good at that)
Harmonica
Pedal Steel
Mandolin
Trombone
Tenor Sax

And kinda know my way around:
Lap steel
Hawaiian guitar
Soprano sax
Recorder
Banjo

I also play a some guitar, bass, piano, keys, and (of course) a myriad of percussion instruments. But, my expertise was/is the drumset.

I play the radio, hometheater system, and the Squeezebox. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

None currently, but I'm studying the scalpel & bone saw so I can fill in for Dexter when he's on vacation ......... :violence-blades:

I played drums and percussion for about 12 years. I really miss it and drooled over flints new set when he go it.

Botch said:
Gotta flesh out my resume. I've played professionally (meaning I got paid, not that I was any good):
Fiddle (although I was pretty good at that)
Harmonica
Pedal Steel
Mandolin
Trombone
Tenor Sax

And kinda know my way around:
Lap steel
Hawaiian guitar
Soprano sax
Recorder
Banjo

Dam Botch that's an impressive list. My mom, brother, sister and father all were musically inclined and me no talent in whatsoever. Well mom said i had a good voice but i was always to shy to sing anywhere but in home or shower. Harmonica, pedal steel, banjo and mandolin. All some of my favorites. I have fond memories now not then of me being out late as a teen and drinking beer and sneak into the house i thought. Id be woken at 7 am in the morning with mom belting out Moon River and others on the Wurlitzer. It would be so loud and my head would be pounding. I envy you all I tried many but didn't have the dedication. I remember one Christmas I woke to find a used full set Slingerland drums down in the basement and Drum lessons at Jenkins music store. Well first lesson i arrived ready to beat some drums but was shocked to find it would only be on a practice pad I lost interest almost instantly. I envy you guys.

Bass, poorly but can plod through basic stuff.....good thing nobody pays any mind to bass players.

-B- said:
.....good thing nobody pays any mind to bass players.

victor-wooten.jpg

"Say what??" :angry-tappingfoot:

:teasing-neener:

Yeah, piano's definitely my main thing. But I can only do classical; never learned jazz/improv, though certainly would have if I were to somehow start completely over now.

I can muddle through some bass now, but would never play a gig... And I can do Guitar Hero drums and lead guitar! :laughing:

A little bit of my music history:

I studied piano from 9 - 18 (very serioiusly from 16-18). I got my first Synth in 1972 (Farfesa). I played piano/keyboards in wedding and rock bands thru age 22. Sang in the chorus and the band. We did a killer Freebird and Highway Star!

From 22 - 30 did not play. Picked up an old piano at 30 and left it behind when we moved to RI in 1994.

Picked up a Yamaha Portasound in 1997 to jam with some guys that played guitar at work. Purchased my Yamaha Stage piano in 2007.

I rarely play classical anymore. I just like to jam with folks an/or jam with CD's.

I should play more!

I'm sure I could rattle off 10 bands and nobody would know the bass player but the front man and lead guitarist be known.

I'm not talk in about the Jaco's of the world.....I got 10 satriani types to his one. As for Geddy, him and Neil Pert are probably why I don't like Rush....everybody is always blowin those two for being great. Gimmie Lemmy any day

If bass players got any props, John Paul Jones would be recognized more for being the backbone of Led Zeppelin. Dude is genius and I'm betting they wouldn't be half as good without his music. But I'd wanna be like him, walk around and not get mobbed and still be part of it and filthy rich.

GEEZER BUTLER!!! Made me want to play bass.

Oh ya, and that Victor Wooten guy somebody posted a picture of ain't bad either. Now back to our original programming.

Like Yesfan, I played Bass for about 5 minutes back in the late 80's and early 90's. Unfortunately I was way too interested in titties and beer to take it seriously and I did not practice nearly enough nor learn to read music.

Little did I know, years later when I bought a bar, I found out that had I kept playing I could have gotten lots of titties and free beer for doing something that I liked. :angry-tappingfoot:

Hey Yesfan.............Chris Squire one of my all time favorite bass players!!

Is this a thread for "Who is your favorite bass player??"

I agree more guitar players are famous than bass players, but do you blame them? Most bass players are plaing bass because the lack all imagination.

John Entwhistle was famous as a bass player
John Paul Johns was famous as a bass player
Jack Bruce was famous as a bass player
Paul McCartney was famous as a bass player
Mike Rutherford was famous as a bass player
Chris Squire...
Geddy Lee...
Lemmy...
Les Claypool...
Roger Waters...
Tony Levin...
Flea...

That's just those I can rattle off in the five minutes I took to write this post. I am sure there are many dozens of others people could pull out of the memories.

The thing is, who's going to remember the boring bass players (and drummers) who did nothing innovative, new, or remotely interesting? Unfortunately, more bass players are shockingly boring than guitar players.

My wife would tell you that is why I played bass. Cuz I am SHOCKINGLY BORING!!!

But then again she did not know me for the first 42 years of my life and doesn't realize how much fun I used to be. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Flint said:
I agree more guitar players are famous than bass players, but do you blame them? Most bass players are plaing bass because the lack all imagination.

John Entwhistle was famous as a bass player
John Paul Johns was famous as a bass player
Jack Bruce was famous as a bass player
Paul McCartney was famous as a bass player
Mike Rutherford was famous as a bass player
Chris Squire...
Geddy Lee...
Lemmy...
Les Claypool...
Roger Waters...
Tony Levin...
Flea...

That's just those I can rattle off in the five minutes I took to write this post. I am sure there are many dozens of others people could pull out of the memories.

The thing is, who's going to remember the boring bass players (and drummers) who did nothing innovative, new, or remotely interesting? Unfortunately, more bass players are shockingly boring than guitar players.

That being the general list usually comprised when bass players are brought up. That list could be probably tripled easily with guitar players. But rock music doesn't normally require outstanding bass playing as a general rule.

It takes more talent to be a sufficient lead guitar player than a bass player. You could play the name that bass player game and there would be a lot less known than a name that guitar player game.....I'm ok with that, because I can suck and nobody cares :happy-smileygiantred:

I started out on the cornet then moved to the baritone. Loved the brass section.
But if I tried to play now.........might dirty my pants trying to "puker-up & blow" in that large mouth piece. But I still remember the valve combo for each note. Used to read treble & bass clef (sp?). Only can read treble now.

Back