• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

Wait...you watch the movie first then read the book? I have always done it the opposite!!
Me too normally... but in this case after seeing the somewhat deliberately vague trailer with equally vague threat to humanity I figure I should maybe watch the movie without knowing anything.

Trailer looks good. Have not read the book will hold off so I don't spoil the movie.

Bump: Watched this tonight has all the makings of good apocalypse flick just never really came together and the ending was an absolute clunker we thought. Will check out the book hopefully it's better. Shame to waste some otherwise solid performances and good moody sense of dread throughout. Just felt like a random series of events rather then a cohesive story.

Wanted to like this I am usually a sucker (pun intended) for any style, grade or genre of vampire flick serious or campy. And I am a big fan of Aisling Franciosi after The Nightingale especially and other performances... I think she is going to end up making a lot of great movies. But I couldn't get too engrossed in it for whatever reason it felt very formulaic and the ending also felt like it jumped the shark a little like it knew it was not so great but was baiting us at the last minute into thinking it was trying to set up for a sequel that seems like it has little to no chance of ever being produced. The only moment I really liked was when Franciosi's character did something on screen that reminded me of the Nightengale and how powerful her character and performance were in that film. I'd maybe watch it for free if you like period style vampire flicks but I paid $5.99 for it on Amazon and felt like it wasn't worth it.

Watched The Creator didn't realize it was a Gareth Edwards movie. Seemed almost like a compilation of AI sci-fi elements from various books and movies over the years and not particularly new or original. But it was very well done and looked/sounded great in the home theater. Streamed it so not the best possible sound might be worth a rewatch on Blu-ray there were some pretty epic sounding battle scenes I can imagine might qualify as new reference material.

Rewatched 1917 my girlfriend had not seen it. Amazing looking movie her reaction was if it was possible for a war movie to be beautifully filmed this was the one. I love the editing style where the whole movie feels like one uninterrupted camera shot... feels very engaging. Also reminded me that I need to also rewatch Gallipoli.

I installed an Apple TV 4K a few weeks ago, mainly to bypass the poor GoogleTV OS built into my new Sony TV, and it works SOOO much better; great purchase for me.
I got 3 free months of Apple TV (the app, not the hardware) with my purchase. I finally started futzing around with it today, wanting to see that long documentary of the Beatles recording their last album, but its already off Apple TV, and only available on Disney+... Sigh......
The majority of movies and TV that they offer, you still have to pay extra for so I'm not really sure how these "paid" streaming services even work, wtf. But I did see that the newer Top Gun movie was available, for free, so I clicked on it. And got it.

I don't think I've watched a full-length movie in the last 15 years or so; this was fun. There were some (okay, a LOT) of unbelievable scenarios but it was still enjoyable. So, yay, I watched a damn movie. I really wanted to watch the new "Oppenheimer" film but between Apple TV, and amazoid Prime, I could only watch it for additional money; wtf? Glad I still enjoy books.

The majority of movies and TV that they offer, you still have to pay extra for so I'm not really sure how these "paid" streaming services even work, wtf.

AppleTV is free but they have a paid tier called AppleTV+. TV content on AppleTV+ and very few movies are included at no extra charge, but the significant majority of movies cost extra to buy or rent.

Movie availability on all the platforms is unpredictable. Some blockbusters and high demand movies require extra money for a few months after release, sometimes it may be included at no additional charge immediately, sometimes they’re available for a limited time, sometimes they’ll always cost extra, sometimes they’re not even available.

What’s worse is that the same movie may be “free” on one service but cost extra on another. You really need to search them all.

Thanks for the clarification, Tom. I did figure out that, when I request a show by name, Siri shows me the different options, if there are more than one.

I'm a fan of streaming but it's a convoluted mess figuring out what's available on what platforms at what cost.

The movie Tetris on AppleTV+ is free and very good, like surprisingly good. I also enjoyed CODA. You should give Ted Lasso a shot, too, at least the first couple episodes of season 1. The movie Killers of the Flower Moon will be available for free on January 12th.

I did watch the first episode of Ted Lasso. Knowing how popular it became, was kinda cool to see the story line "seeds" being planted; but I haven't had the desire to watch more, mebbe give it a couple more episodes.
Right now, I'd rather watch the vikings get beat! :fight: :bouncygrin:

Slow Horses on AppleTV (not sure if it requires +) is really good.

I don’t think there’s a free version. AppleTV is the hardware, AppleTV+ is the service.

Another friend has been recommending Slow Horses so I think this is the nudge I need to give it a go.

I seem to recall that there is at least some AppleTV+ content that does not require a paid membership.

Last edited:
Back