• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Which Bluray player?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
I've decided to go ahead and replace the Piece of Shit 3 player in my living room with something a bit more reliable. I can get a player from my company's "rewards" program that employees get for recognition (where I got my PS3). Here's a list of players available to me. Which from this list would you pick?:

Sharp BD-HP24U
Samsung BD-D5500 (3D)
Samsung BD-E5700 (3D)
Philips BDP3406/F7
LG BP620 (3D)
LG BP520 (3D)
LG BP220

Panasonic is what I would really like, but I don't have enough points to get the lowest price player. So, it has to be one of the players listed above since they are "free" for me. 3D is not necessary, but if it's on a player that has more features, then fine by me. All I really care is disc playback and streaming ability (Netflix and Amazon) since this is going in my living room.

I'm kinda partial to Samsung only because I've had good luck with the three I have. I'm sure other brands are fine. If I were buying a player today, all I would care about would be load times and the menu for accessing Netflix.

^^^ Pretty much me also. My company's online catalog doesn't give a lot of details. Just basically the basic features like 3D, 1080P, WiFi, etc.

It's looking like it's between the E5700 or the D5500 for now. You mentioned Netflix on your player. How easy is it compared to your PS3? Your Roku? I've had no luck with the Sony player downstairs accessing netflix and frankly surprised that it still plays discs.

I havent used a PS3 in a very long time but the Roku outperforms any player I've seen because it turns on instantly and is very responsive to the remote. The players I've used all take little longer to boot and move to and between apps.

Are there any netflix players besides the ps3 that will do surround sound? My sony BDP's netflix only ever does stereo, even on things that have DD5.1 when played on ps3. Same with closed captions.

PaulyT said:
Are there any netflix players besides the ps3 that will do surround sound? My sony BDP's netflix only ever does stereo, even on things that have DD5.1 when played on ps3. Same with closed captions.

My Roku with an HDMI connection will do NF in surround.

:text-link:

Dolby Digital Plus surround sound:
TiVo Premiere

Sony BDP-S390, S590 Blu-ray players

Roku 2 XS, XD, HD, LT

D-link MovieNite, MovieNitePlus

Netgear NeoTV Pro

Panasonic 2011, 2012 Blu-ray, Smart TVs and HTIB

WD TV Live and Hub

2011, 2012 LG Smart TVs, Google TV, Blu-ray players, HTIB and Smart TVs

2011, 2012 Samsung Smart TVs (D5, D6, D7 Series)

Philips 4706/5706 TV

2012 Toshiba Blu-ray and Smart TVs

2011 Sharp Smart TVs

Dolby Digital Surround Sound:
Apple TV 2nd and 3rd generation

Sony Playstation3

Xbox 360

Closed Caption support:
TiVo Premiere

Sony BDP-s390, S590 Blu-ray players

Roku 2 XS, XD, HD, LT

Apple TV 2, 3rd generation

Wii

WD TV Live and Hub

Toshiba 2012 HDTV and Blu-ray players

Philips 4706/5706 HDTVs

Google TV (Logitech Revue and Sony TV, Blu-ray models)

D-link Boxee Box

2011 Sharp HDTVs

2011, 2012 LG Smart TVs, Google TV, Blu-ray players, HTIB and Smart TVsPanasonic 2011, 2012 Blu-ray players

2011, 2012 Samsung Smart TVs (D5, D6, D7 Series)

Philips 4706/5706 TV

2012 Toshiba Blu-ray and Smart TVs

2011 Sharp Smart TVs

Sony Playstation3

Xbox 360

Mobile devices (iOS and Android)

So... lots of choices assuming you have a Dolby Digital Plus capable receiver.

Only the PS3, Xbox, and Apple TV support plain old DD.

did you actually get to sell your ps3 tho yesfan?

id go with the LG series, just because its one of those aside from panasonic id consider.

Just my $0.02.....get the best Samsung BD player you can get for free....if you want a BD player (that has Netflex, Pandora, etc)...ck out Oppo....but the Samsungs may have those options also. My Samsung & Toshiba stuff is still going strong.....for decades. LG stuff may be getting better, but I wouldn't know about them. Although I do have some Sony stuff...I'm still shy of them along with Pioneer & Onkyo.

Barney said:
Just my $0.02.....get the best Samsung BD player you can get for free....if you want a BD player (that has Netflex, Pandora, etc)...ck out Oppo....but the Samsungs may have those options also. My Samsung & Toshiba stuff is still going strong.....for decades. LG stuff may be getting better, but I wouldn't know about them. Although I do have some Sony stuff...I'm still shy of them along with Pioneer & Onkyo.

If you want good NF and other streaming get the free BD player and then spend $70-90 for a Roku.

I have the Oppo 93 - a fantastic disc player but when it comes to streaming the Roku beats the Oppo hands down.

My googletv (logitech revue) which has been discontinued will outputt DD with its optical output (only 2 channel over the HDMI cable).

mzpro5 said:
I have the Oppo 93 - a fantastic disc player but when it comes to streaming the Roku beats the Oppo hands down.

Agree. BD players take a bit to boot and get to the menu for the apps. The apps themselves are a little sluggish compared to dedicated streaming boxes like Roku and Apple TV. At the moment I have Roku, AppleTV, Xbox, and Samsung players in the house (I went through a phase where all we watched was streamed).

The Roku and ATV just work better than players or TVs with built-in streaming that I've seen. I especially like all extra "channels" you can get for free with the Roku.

Towen7 said:
The Roku and ATV just work better than players or TVs with built-in streaming that I've seen. I especially like all extra "channels" you can get for free with the Roku.

i concur about the free channels. if you have kids or tweens at home who like anime they have a channel that broadcast anime 24/7

No Oppo guys as it's not listed. It has to be one of those players I listed so it's not an out of pocket cost for me. I may consider getting the cheapest player so I can get a Roku. That's a good suggestion.

Jomari,

Never got a chance to sell the PS3 and I wasn't going to take a chance with eBay since I had no takers here and around work. The PS3 started giving me playback issues last night, so after an hour of frustration I chucked the thing in a garbage bag and dumped it at a Goodwill on the way to work this morning.

The Sony player downstairs will be next if it gives me playback problems. It's 'supposed' to allow NF streaming, but gave up trying to figure that one out. If so, it will be the last Sony product in my house.

Yesfan70 said:
Jomari,

Never got a chance to sell the PS3 and I wasn't going to take a chance with eBay since I had no takers here and around work. The PS3 started giving me playback issues last night, so after an hour of frustration I chucked the thing in a garbage bag and dumped it at a Goodwill on the way to work this morning..

Sniff Sniff... :text-imsorry: tell me it was the older version, and not the slim...

anyways, id personally go with the LG if thats the case.

Yesfan70 said:
No Oppo guys as it's not listed. It has to be one of those players I listed so it's not an out of pocket cost for me. I may consider getting the cheapest player so I can get a Roku. That's a good suggestion.
Sorry wasn't meaning to imply you should get an Oppo. I was just using that as an example of a higher priced premium disc player that still is lacking in the quality of the streaming function when compared to stand alone streamers.

I went ahead and read some reviews of the above mentioned players on Amazon. After that, I decided the LG BP220 was the one to get. Just placed the order a few minutes ago and it didn't even cost me half the points I have accumulated. This player also has streaming capabilities, but I'm not going to rule out a Roku just yet. The BP220 also has a USB port to hook up a external HDD.

If this player turns out to be a good one, then I may replace the Sony downstairs if it decides to shit on me.

Yesfan70 said:
I went ahead and read some reviews of the above mentioned players on Amazon. After that, I decided the LG BP220 was the one to get. Just placed the order a few minutes ago and it didn't even cost me half the points I have accumulated. This player also has streaming capabilities, but I'm not going to rule out a Roku just yet. The BP220 also has a USB port to hook up a external HDD.

If this player turns out to be a good one, then I may replace the Sony downstairs if it decides to shit on me.

nice thing about LG players is that they play avi divx mpeg files pretty darn well.

congrats yesfan.

Out of curiosity... What was it in the reviews that pushed you to the LG? I may be in the market for a player for a spare room soon.

Back