• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Which one?

Dentman

I'll soon be in the new home and I have a decision to make.
My new music/theater room is roughly 14x16 with some open areas as well.

Do I go projector again or do I go with a 75" 4k display? Room will be used for some regular tv watching.

I personally prefer a flat panel TV over projectors. I know projectors can get a bigger screen for the money, but the image quality of flat panels are just that much better for the same money and I have enough size to not need any extensions.

That said, I am impressed by some of the projector setups folk on this forum have.

I tend to prefer non-projector options, myself. As Flint says, the picture quality tends to be a little better at the same price points. Also, projectors tend to require darkened rooms- IMO, I don't necessarily want to commit myself to always having the room dark and be focused solely on what's on the screen.

I tend to prefer non-projector options, myself. As Flint says, the picture quality tends to be a little better at the same price points. Also, projectors tend to require darkened rooms- IMO, I don't necessarily want to commit myself to always having the room dark and be focused solely on what's on the screen.
Good points all. I loved my past projector but as you mention I didn't love the need to keep the room fairly dark to get the most out of it. This new set up will get a fair amount of regular tv viewing which also makes me lean towards the 75" set up.

Hey Dent!

Good to see you here again, hope all is well

I picked up the Epson 5030 from Crutchfield last yr for the basement. Love it. Lights on/lights off....Watching football with friends or movies with the family all is really good at 126". I was surprised at just how much light output, without significantly losing PQ this projector throws.

I cannot speak to any of the new flat panels and their quality. I still have a Panasonic plasma in my family room i purchased in 2009. when it goes, i will have to do some research. For now, I will defer and learn from the others here.

Dan

I have a 5010 and can confirm Epsons are indeed flame-throwing light cannons. I've never once wished for better light control in my room even though I technically need it.

Epson 5020 here. I sit 9 ft from a 92" screen and the picture is stunning.

I can also watch football with the drapes open without issue. PJ's advancements over the past few years requires you to check them out. I will always have a PJ in my dedicated room.

Great to hear from you too Dan.

Wow so it sounds like Epson is the go to projector these days. Ok thanks guys I will look into them ASAP before I pull the trigger.
Thanks.

For me, the one big (biggest) issue about putting a large flat panel in a home theatre is having to therefore compromise on the audio layout.

A projector and acoustically-transparent screen combo, while more expensive, eliminates that compromise, for any given speaker system.

I like my flat panel in my family room theatre - where the brunt of the TV watching in the house gets done (and where the ability to control ambient light during the daytime is poor) - and the sound is still pretty darn good.

I like the projector / screen set-up in the main HT (where I can absolutely control the ambient light at any time of the day) - where I'm looking to get the best sound quality possible, and in particular great multi-channel music, concert videos, and movies.

So I guess my bottom line response to your OP is that I swing both ways!

:)

Jeff

For me, the one big (biggest) issue about putting a large flat panel in a home theatre is having to therefore compromise on the audio layout.

A projector and acoustically-transparent screen combo, while more expensive, eliminates that compromise, for any given speaker system.

Meh, those little Bose cubes can be put really close to the TV anyway. It's not that big a drawback. :thumbsup:

i loved my epson back wheni got it, but it didnt have lens shift. if i wanted to mount it it would be a bit too low, or on a table almost smack in between me and the missus.

frustrating, but great for the flamethrower it was.

do i still use it? nope. i have a 65 4k tv which was one of the last 3d tvs out in the market.

If you can handle a flexible position for the projector, you get more bang for the buck per inch.

As long as it has 3d. :D

I've decided on going with a 65" display. My reason is based on the idea that 2ch audio is my main concern by a large margin. Going with a 65" display will allow for the best speaker placement and seating placement.
At this point I'm not even sure if I'll do a surround set up.

I will miss a projector no doubt.

I am going to upgrade the display in the basement over the winter, I think. I wanted to go with a rear projector, but the new big flat super-duper high color contrast whizbang 15G Ultra 400 KFBD displays have really piqued my interest.

I love my 65" upstairs and judging from that a 75" downstairs would be massive and I think that is the way to go. Plus it facilitates easier cable and power runs.

Back