• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Who is planning on watching 'The Grammy Awards'?

Babs

Queen "B"
Babs & Zing will be front & center in HT! :music-rockout: Unfortunately, last year I was unable to see the show! Really looking forward to it for 2014!

Even though I'm kind of out of touch with modern music anymore :character-oldtimer: its the one show I never miss every year (I'm more likely to miss the Superbowl).
The awards are meaningless to me as they're so bizarre sometimes, but I always learn of at least one new act whom I wasn't familiar with before, that I end up being a fan of. :music-rockout:

Botch said:
Even though I'm kind of out of touch with modern music anymore :character-oldtimer: its the one show I never miss every year (I'm more likely to miss the Superbowl).
The awards are meaningless to me as they're so bizarre sometimes, but I always learn of at least one new act whom I wasn't familiar with before, that I end up being a fan of. :music-rockout:

The Probowl or Grammy's hahahaha not much choice here. Ill watch the Grammy's long enough to see Merle Haggard get recognised then off to something else most likely.

We are enjoying the Grammy Awards with our friend Swanny! Along with some great snacks, food & drink! Enjoying the HT with a good friend!!!! :handgestures-thumbup: That is what it is truly all about!!!

I assume that's Sean Lennon sitting next to Yoko.
O
M
G
that's downright creepy! :shock:

Daft Punk!!! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Chicago!!!! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

The first bar band I played in was a Chicago/Doobies cover band, I played trombone/congas (I can't play congas). Chicago was my Grail for many, many years; so GOOD to see them on the Grammies, Bravo!! :banana-rock:

1. Taylor Swift is one beautiful woman! :shock:

2. Lady Gaga is one amazing showperson! :shock:

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

I watched about half the show on Sunday and have been watching snippets of the rest off my PVR.

Some of the numbers were great to see and hear (I never get tired of P!nk) there were some very disappointing moments, or lack thereof:

1. The non-tribute to Lou Reed

2. Jamie Foxx

3. CBS cutting away from gay (just-married) couples kissing

While the cross-over musical pairings were sometimes bizarre, I must admit that musically at least a few of them were masterful - Metallica and Lang Lang in particular. In general though, I'd be happy if they did not do any cross-overs and just let each genre stand on its own merits.

I would have liked to hear at least some full-on original orchestral pieces and jazz, but I know they have to play to the viewership.

I do think that they are striking a much better balance, musically, than they did 5-10 years ago, when they were pretty much the rap / hip-hop awards show.

Jeff

I flipped back and fourth between the NFL Pro Bowl that surprised me it was very entertaining and the Grammy's that didn't surprise me it just doesn't do much for me. I was to catch an old friend i listened to much my life. Merle Haggard well I didnt know he was gonna be with the Highwaymen and The new country guy who i wont recognise. It totally sucked they all got old and I hate with a passion Kris Kristopherson and Willie looked like he spent too much time on the bus. Merle has aged so badly his voice is gone and without Waylon the Highwaymen are the Ruralroutemen. I though it would be a tribute to Merle and when they opened with Okie form Muskokie I knew it wasn't gonna go well and it didn't. Why not Big City or any of Merles great song but oh well. Merle dont fit with the Grammy crowd anyway.

Let's see:

Buy the Grammy Nominated songs CD - Check
Watch the pre-Red runway show - check
Watch the Red Runway Show - Check
Nap through the entire Grammy show - Doh.

I'll have to find it on-demand. :angry-cussingblack:

JeffMackwood said:
Some of the numbers were great to see and hear (I never get tired of P!nk) there were some very disappointing moments, or lack thereof:

Perhaps you just haven't seen this snippet yet but there was indeed a tribute to Lou, presented by Jared Leto.

Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:

Perhaps you just haven't seen this snippet yet but there was indeed a tribute to Lou, presented by Jared Leto.
I did. Hence the term "non-tribute."

They could, and should, have done MUCH better. Why not bring in several artists to sing a montage of his songs? I would have gladly traded Katie Perry's spot for that!

Heck I love Ringo, and seeing him do Photograph (I've got all of his All-Star Band DVDs), but I would have also traded that as well.

Lou Reed deserved it.

Jeff

ps. At least Metallica's Kirk Hammett had the smarts to wear a Lou Reed t-shirt during their performance that followed the non-tribute. Classy.

Srvy said:
I flipped back and fourth between the NFL Pro Bowl that surprised me it was very entertaining and the Grammy's that didn't surprise me it just doesn't do much for me. I was to catch an old friend i listened to much my life. Merle Haggard well I didnt know he was gonna be with the Highwaymen and The new country guy who i wont recognise. It totally sucked they all got old and I hate with a passion Kris Kristopherson and Willie looked like he spent too much time on the bus. Merle has aged so badly his voice is gone and without Waylon the Highwaymen are the Ruralroutemen. I though it would be a tribute to Merle and when they opened with Okie form Muskokie I knew it wasn't gonna go well and it didn't. Why not Big City or any of Merles great song but oh well. Merle dont fit with the Grammy crowd anyway.
I'll have to watch that segment again, but my initial impression was that they were very well received and appreciated by the crowd. In fact one of the lasting impressions I had was of audience members' positive reactions to artists outside of their own genre / domain. Real talent can always be appreciated.

JeffMackwood said:
Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:

You know, your use of "non" tripped me up. At first, I took it that you meant there was no tribute. Then I thought "Why did he use non? Maybe he means it wasn't much of a tribute." So I flipped a coin. It was heads. I posted.

:text-imsorry:

JeffMackwood said:
Zing said:
JeffMackwood said:

They could, and should, have done MUCH better. Why not bring in several artists to sing a montage of his songs? I would have gladly traded Katie Perry's spot for that!

Heck I love Ringo, and seeing him do Photograph(I've got all of his All-Star Band DVDs), but I would have also traded that as well.

Lou Reed deserved it.

Jeff

ps. At least Metallica's Kirk Hammett had the smarts to wear a Lou Reed t-shirt during their performance that followed the non-tribute. Classy.

Did I notice that Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather were playing with Ringo at the Grammy's? After some research, they have both been in his "ALL-STAR BAND", HOWEVER, I could swear that they were both there with him on stage at the Grammy's.......

heeman said:
Did I notice that Peter Frampton and Steve Lukather were playing with Ringo at the Grammy's? After some research, they have both been in his "ALL-STAR BAND", HOWEVER, I could swear that they were both there with him on stage at the Grammy's.......
They were indeed. Good catch! :handgestures-thumbup:

:text-bump: 2015!! Who is checkin' the Grammy Awards out?? Zing & Babs are always in for this event. :music-listening: :handgestures-thumbup: :music-rockout: :music-listening:

Back