• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Who Uses a Horizontal MTM Center Speaker

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
I am one, even though my System is still in setup mode!

Curious to see what the response is.

Flints explanation of why they are not optimum is great and very clear.

Please respond!!

No cc at all for me - yet. Just too lazy to mount it over my TV, since TV/movie watching is way lower in priority for me than music. Figure for now, phantom's better than a horizontal MTM center which is the only way I could fit it on the rack under my TV.

I run phatom as well. But I have no issues with running a horizontal MTM. Just don't have the energy to worry about things to that level anymore.

I jettisoned the center speaker a couple years ago and now just use phantom imaging. Movie sound is far less important to me than the best two channel music reproduction; having stuff between the two stereo speakers just mucks up the imaging, both sonically and visually.

I do, but since I have no family or friends I'm always in the sweet spot, and have no lobing issues.

There was one thing in Flint's excellent tutorial that didn't make sense to me, but I need to read it a couple more times before I ask, he may have explained it and I didn't catch it...

I do and to be honest I can sit anywhere in the room and it sounds fine. :think:

The PMC CB-6 pictured is by purpose not MTM design. It's essentially an OB-1 with the bottom cut off, the tweeter, midrange, and midwoofer rearranged.

Rope

Attachments

• PICT0275.JPG
    PICT0275.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 712
I use a Paradigm Studio/CC v2 MTM in my system and have for years. Any lobing issues are extremely minor and only because audible when sitting WAY of axis. It sounds fine from my couch and that's all I care about. Horizontal placement is just not practical in my setup.

I do also, mostly because I wait for Flint to post his advice/tutorials and I simply do the opposite... :teasing-tease:

Seriously, I stated over at S&V that there was simply no way that I would or could put a Contour S 5.4 in the middle of the room and the 1.4 doesn't have the same tweeter so I went with what I felt would work best for me and I couldn't be happier...

I have an MTM center speaker that is normally oriented horizontally. However I have an extra set of Mopads stashed away and I'll place the speaker vertically on those in front of the entertainment console when I want the best possible sound quality. My wife thought I was on crack when I first explained my plan to do this and why. After I had her do some blind listening tests in different seating locations she understood...

2675567500086574373S500x500Q85.jpg

Those are Dynaudio Focus speakers.

I use a smaller version of my main speakers...the s1.4 for my center.

I think there's a near-infinite combination of speakers, rooms, tastes, budgets, what-have-yous, such that any given individual could spend way too much time worrying about whether there's a better way of doing things, rather than simply getting on with the enjoying. From the previous posts I find it great that so many different approaches result in the same thing: happy listeners.

But to answer the question I have probably tried most combinations (and have the previous experiments sitting in storage right now to prove it) and for some time now have preferred identical large full-range speakers, identically-placed (ie. all vertical) in all positions, including the centre - because I can!

For multi-channel movies and music I run the full monty. However for more intimate stereo listening I've very recently set up a separate 2.1 system within the confines and construct of the same main HT that houses the 7.1 system. Again because I can.

Jeff Mackwood

7.1 system speakers: 5 stacks of Koss CM/1030 (2 per stack - 10 speakers in total) for front L/R/C and side surrounds; 1 pair of Paradigm Titans as rear surrounds; 2 Velodyne Servo 1200 subs, 1 B&W ASW-1000 sub; and an SVS PB13 Ultra sub thrown in to boot. (There's also a Yamaha YST-SW160 sub, but that takes more explaining than the others.)

2.1 system speakers: 1 pair of Koss CM/1010; 1 SVS 20-39PC+

Is MattB going to be pissed off when he see's Jeff setup, or what?

Rope

Maximo said:
I run phatom as well. But I have no issues with running a horizontal MTM. Just don't have the energy to worry about things to that level anymore.
When you run a phantom center, Is it as simple as clicking NO to center speaker in the menu? or is there more to it?

nats said:
Maximo said:
When you run a phantom center, Is it as simple as clicking NO to center speaker in the menu? or is there more to it?

Right. That's all there is to it.

Welcome, Jeff! Good to see you rise above lurker status. :happy-smileygiantred:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

No MTM here, I have a Klipsch Heresy playing the role of center speaker. Hoping to find a single Cornwall at some point to replace it though.

PaulyT said:
Welcome, Jeff! Good to see you rise above lurker status. :happy-smileygiantred:

:text-welcomeconfetti:
:text-+1:

Back