• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Why do Kef Muon speakers cost $198,000?

Dennie

Why do lamborghini's cost so much? :confusion-shrug:

lamborghini_madura.jpg

Dennie

Because somewhere out in the world there are a few very rich guys that think when they tell people they paid $198,000 for speakers they will sound better.

Because limited production raises cost, because we need people to pay for things like this so we can continue to get the things they make little on. Because it looks dam good in the portfolio. Because they can and someone will.

...Because some men will always try to make up for their shortcomings in life!

Nearly every speaker company, especially those calling themselves innovators and inventors, has a statement speaker which is a no compromise product using the core technologies the company offers to demonstrate how incredible their engineers are if given a chance.

Sony used to have statement products in their ES line - like the first SACD player or the first BluRay player. Both of those set a new standard for future technology. KEF, Dynaudio, Klipsch, and others all have something like this.

The actual costs of making these statement products rarely justify the selling cost. The selling cost is partially to make them showoff pieces, as are limited editions and such. The real expense is the cost of making only a few units (one off manufacturing is very costly), having to support those units for decades (if you only product 10 units for sale, how many spare parts do you have to keep in a warehouse for decades?), and all the demo units sent to top dealers to show off with.

I don't give a crap how they sound as long as they're chrome and give me bragging rights.

Rope

Why do Bose cost more then 10.00/speaker? Same principle, because the world is filled with morons who have more money than common sense. Was watching this premiere on HGTV last night called "Selling LA" where you see all these rich prick stuck up assholes buying multi million dollar mansions. They had this one ex Italian racecar driver who was shopping for an 8 million dollar mansion in LA that he would only spend two weeks a year to live in. He has five other mansions around the world, and watching him drive the real estate lady around in his Ferrari F430 convertable just made me sick.

Gluttony, derived from the Latin gluttire meaning to gulp down or swallow, means over-indulgence and over-consumption of food, drink, intoxicants or wealth items to the point of waste. In some Christian denominations, it is considered one of the seven deadly sins—a misplaced desire of food or its withholding from the needy.

Let's see what kind of crap I get for posting this!!!

Gluttony is all relative...............

I have a 3,500 sq. ft. mansion, drive a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe, and travel around the world for work. I am suffering from gluttony.

They really are that good, I'm thinking about buying a pair. It was a very good hail season.

CiscoKid said:
Hey Flint, I was at Sound and Vision browsing around when I saw your speaker rating list. You should post that list on here. I thought it was very interesting.

You really liked the Kef Reference line that much? I was surprised you rated it higher than Dynaudio Confidence as I know Dynaudio is well regarded. Too bad I don't have $13,000. I looked around and was surprised how well reviewed their Reference line was. I always thought KEF was a mainstream, mediocre brand.

http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/sho ... ng-scale...

To be clear, I didn't list the KEF Reference line that high on that list. I did put two very specific models from KEF's long and storied history high on that list. Those specific models were very, very good speakers.

Overpriced speakers are in the same realm as overpriced sports cars.

Any website that features auto racing will have at least three videos of a rather inexpensive custom built tuner blowing the doors off of an overpriced production model.

I don't know anybody who could make their own custom built speakers with machined aluminum cabinets, but if they did they wouldn't cost 198K. Probably not even a tenth of that.

I believe some of the mid-priced DefTechs are aluminum... (albeit not machined, like my MBA :eek:bscene-buttred:

Back