• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Why I am such a Roku Fan

Haywood

Famous
It is no secret that I am a big fan of Roku boxes and recommend them often. Here is why:

1. They offer the widest array of streaming services of any device on the market.
2. The Plex channel makes the Roku and outstanding client for local media content.
3. Aereo, USTVNow, SimpleTV, Tablo and Time-Warner Cable make it a viable TV solution.
4. Roku works great over WiFi with the right router.
5. The Roku 3 has native support for both DD and DTS codecs.
6. Roku's top box is only $99.
7. Roku boxes are very small and can be affixed to the back of a TV.
8. Roku remotes are not IR and therefore do not require line of sight.
9. Roku's interface is so dead easy that anyone can figure it out.
10. Roku does not marry you to any particular ecosystem.

With all your talk about the Roku Haywood, I'm seriously considering getting one. They sound like a great value for the money.

Once I finally get my Tablo DVR, my Roku boxes will literally do everything but play discs. They are the Swiss Army Knife of source components while being cheap enough and small enough to put just about anywhere.

Huey said:
With all your talk about the Roku Haywood, I'm seriously considering getting one. They sound like a great value for the money.

I'll second Haywood's praises. If you're still using a Bluray player for Netflix and other apps (like I did), stop what you're doing and get a Roku. I have a Roku 2 (or is it 2.5?) in the living room that's only wifi. I have Ethernet ports in the living room, so I'll replace that one with the 3 and add another 3 to my HT. The current Roku will go in the bedroom.

And they are stupid easy to figure out. My 4 year old can use it, no problem.

Are you on some sort of Roku rewards program for posting about it?

Towen7 said:
Are you on some sort of Roku rewards program for posting about it?

What can I say? I love the technology. The Roku 3 does everything I want to do with media except work as a Windows Media Center extender and that tech is on its way out. I cannot think of another device anywhere near the price that would let me watch live TV, control a DVR, stream local media (ripped/torrented movies + home videos + photos + music) and stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Vudu and a ton of other content. Apple TV does not come close. My PS3 does a lot of it, plus plays discs, but sucks a ton more power and costs several times as much.

Bang for the buck, it is a really amazing product and I love it. I currently own five of the things with four in active use.

I'm with you. I own three and recommend them all the time. If I could talk my wife out of paying for TV service I could see myself getting by just fine with just Roku. Though I do love the simplicity of AirPlay with my AppleTV.

lulimet said:
Does the Roku support MediaBrowser?

No, but it does support Plex Media Server. I honestly think Plex is a vastly superior option for local media, because it supports Roku, iOS, Android, Windows 8, Linux, OSX and pretty much anything with a web browser.

Alright, I think you guys have talked me into one. Going to pick up a Roku 3 today or tomorrow.

I love my two Roku units. I am recommending them to everyone I know who claims they are considering cutting the cord.

... and

I want to thank everyone on this forum for convincing me that Roku is the best alternative to cable. I would have never considered them otherwise because their marketing is aimed at novices and implies they have limited flexibility. I prefer techie, nerdy, complex stuff that does more - it turns out you guys figured out that Roku can be both simple and basic and complex and expandable.

Thanks online forum of friends I would never recognize on the street!

Haywood said:
It is no secret that I am a big fan of Roku boxes and recommend them often. Here is why:

This must be something new with the Roku 3, my "2" is IR only; that would make things a bit nicer in my setup... :shhh:

Botch said:
Haywood said:

This must be something new with the Roku 3, my "2" is IR only; that would make things a bit nicer in my setup... :shhh:

I think mine is like that. I remember the instructions saying to mount it high near the top of the TV if you mount it on the backside.

Well Mr. Haywood, you gave me the final push. I just called Digis and signed up for their internet service, they'll be here Monday afternoon (handy, since its a guv'mint holiday). As soon as its up and running and I can get Amazon, my bank, forums etc to recognize me, I'll be returning my Comcast equipment (I've been with them since 2007). Details:

- No contract
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 15 Mbps (their top speed, that will be the thing I test during the 30 days)
- Normally $49 one-time installation fee, waived because I guess I said something right about "you had the best pricing" or something
- Phone personnel (at least for signup) aren't in India, I got a true-blue American ditz (but every choice I made was "Awesome!") :mrgreen:
- They had an additional phone service for an extra $19/month (which oddly she must've forgot to try to sell me, she didn't mention it) but I've got a new Ooma in the box that I will try to use for VOIP
- Cost, with taxes, $57/month. Dropping Comcast, -$207/month. (the $150/month I'll be saving would buy, say, a Nexus the very first month! :banana-dance: )

Now to go shopping for DVRs. The Digis website had an article about DVRs http://www.digis.net/blog/wireless-internet-features-network-based-dvr/ and both external hard-drive and Cloud storage of the content I wish to keep/watch later, but again they themselves don't appear to sell or rent the equipment.

Stand by for "HEELLLLPPPP!!!" posts in a couple days... :oops:

Oh, and I hope this doesn't throw a wrench into Comcast's deal to buy Time-Warner Cable...

Botch said:
Haywood said:

My older units are all top-model Roku 2 XDs and my new unit is a Roku 3. All use wireless remotes that require pairing.

Botch said:
Well Mr. Haywood, you gave me the final push. I just called Digis and signed up for their internet service, they'll be here Monday afternoon (handy, since its a guv'mint holiday). As soon as its up and running and I can get Amazon, my bank, forums etc to recognize me, I'll be returning my Comcast equipment (I've been with them since 2007). Details:

- No contract
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 15 Mbps (their top speed, that will be the thing I test during the 30 days)
- Normally $49 one-time installation fee, waived because I guess I said something right about "you had the best pricing" or something
- Phone personnel (at least for signup) aren't in India, I got a true-blue American ditz (but every choice I made was "Awesome!") :mrgreen:
- They had an additional phone service for an extra $19/month (which oddly she must've forgot to try to sell me, she didn't mention it) but I've got a new Ooma in the box that I will try to use for VOIP
- Cost, with taxes, $57/month. Dropping Comcast, -$207/month. (the $150/month I'll be saving would buy, say, a Nexus the very first month! :banana-dance: )

Now to go shopping for DVRs. The Digis website had an article about DVRs http://www.digis.net/blog/wireless-internet-features-network-based-dvr/ and both external hard-drive and Cloud storage of the content I wish to keep/watch later, but again they themselves don't appear to sell or rent the equipment.

Stand by for "HEELLLLPPPP!!!" posts in a couple days... :oops:

Check out the options from Simple.TV and Tablo. Both are more versatile than the options from Channel Master. I think the quad-tuner Tablo is going to be my Huckleberry, but it won't be out for another month or two.

This morning I got Plex loaded. Its also the first time I've delved into the "Channel Store" for awhile on Roku; damn its grown by leaps and bounds since I last went through it, and I'm seeing more and more Channels from Comcast (Food Channel, History, C/Net) that are now on the web for free.
This is becoming a very worthwhile venture, rawk! :music-rockout:

Back