• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Why I am such a Roku Fan

Oh, and I can see Commercials have already been creeping in. What I've watched so far (CBS News, CNet News) show just one commercial at the beginning, and then uninterrupted content, but I can see where its going. I'm not paying a monthly bill for this, and I can select my content when I want to watch it; can't complain. :text-bravo:

Got a question.........

I looked and see where I can watch full episodes of The Walking Dead on amctv.com. Unfortunately I can not view them because my provider, AT&T, is not listed (Uverse is, but I can't get that). I see Charter is one of the providers in their list.

If I canceled AT&T and signed up for only Charter internet (and NOT their cable service), would I be able to watch the Walking Dead online? Do I also have to have a provider's TV service to view shows online?

Yesfan70 said:
If I canceled AT&T and signed up for only Charter internet (and NOT their cable service), would I be able to watch the Walking Dead online?
My guess would be no. Kinda like with the WatchESPN (ESPN3), you need to have ESPN included in your cable package to be able to use it.

Haywood, a couple of Plex quetions for you. I got it loaded onto both my computer and Roku, started loading various channels to my "Favorites" and noticed "The Daily Show", so I added it; finally, won't have to watch it on my computer anymore!
Well, when I pull up the Plex channel on my Roku, 3 out of 4 times the TV channels don't load, only the "Queue" does. And, the couple times I've been able to start a Daily Show episode, its always freezed; I haven't been able to finish an episode on my TV yet. Any ideas?

When I pull up Plex on my laptop, the TV channels show every single time. I've watched a couple episodes of the Daily Show, they both played straight thru, and best of all, no commercials!! :scared-eek: I get blocks of commercials whenever I watch "The Daily Show"s own website, particularly frustrating as sometimes they show the same damn commercial back to back five times.

So, for anyone who watches the Daily Show on their computer, doing it through Plex is very worthwhile (you don't need a Roku to do this). :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Check your settings in Plex on your Roku. You can control many aspects of how things are displayed, layed out, configured, etc. Check your quality and transcoding settings. That sounds like what your problem might be related to. Plex Channels are the least stable part of the entire Plex platform. I tend to only use them as a last resort. They have gotten a ton better over time though and continue to improve.

The first time I watched a Daily Show through the Roku/Plex, it did have a lot of pauses and reloading before freezing completely. When I went back to Plex's "Home Page" it said, "You appeared to be having difficulty with this video, we suggest a lower Quality setting of blabla". I thought that was pretty cool, and I reset the Quality. It made the pic less sharp but still have the freezing issue, but what really confuses me is why the channel icons refuse to even show 3/4 of the time, there's no video playing then.

And, again, the Plex Channels have been working great on my laptop. I'll keep futzing with it on the TV here and there.

I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the channel platform. I hardly ever use it, especially now that Roku has an official YouTube channel.

It is DA BOMB for local media though, especially if you convert all of your media in to formats that Roku can play natively (thereby eliminating the need for transcoding on the server). MakeMKV and Handbrake are your friends if you ever want to try your hand at ripping Blu-Rays.

Heh, and that's the one thing I don't have: local media!

If you have some time, tell me how the Roku YouTube channel works. :think:

Do you have a Roku 2 or a Roku 3? The YouTube channel is currently only available on the 3, but will be coming to the 2 later on. It is in the channel store.

Local media is anything from your music and movies to audio books, photographs and home movies. I personally have a couple hundred movies, a couple hundred audio books, about 20,000 songs, a half dozen TV series, a transcoded dump of everything on my WMC DVR, a few home movies and some photo albums on my Plex server.

Back