• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

WiFI to replace HDMI?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I am watching a presentation from a technologist wh is saying that by the end of 2012 WiFi will replace all cables to connect devices to TVs. With triband WiFi, TV manufacturers can connect the source to the TV wirelessly with bi directional communications - fully interactive displays.

This is going to be cool!

That'd save me trying to figure out how to run an ethernet cable from my finished basement to the living room...

Botch said:
That'd save me trying to figure out how to run an ethernet cable from my finished basement to the living room...

This isn't about connecting to the network for the internet or file sharing, this is using WiFi radios to replace all data wires, HDMI, Toslink, Audio, USB, Remote Control, everything. All you may need to connect devices to in the future is a power source and nothing else.

So something is going on with the "power plug" then.......fuse box may be very important again...........

Razz said:
Then what am I going to do with all my pretty cables????

Decorate your Christmas tree?

I have seen companies like Klipsch having a product that lets you set up a subwoofer wirelessly. Is this the same thing?

link

So now you'll have to buy all new WiFi compatible gear.... :handgestures-thumbdown:

Then they will change the band and speed, so you'll have to upgrade again...

Then every time your cell phone rings your gear will reset....

Oh Joy....

:happy-smileygiantred:

D

Monster AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see how they market that!!!!!

This is a very interesting topic. I would like the not having to run cables through the wall and it sure would clean up behind my equipment. But like DH said having to upgrade everything would be the only downfall because I wouldn't upgrade just to be able to eliminate wires.

Botch said:
Yesfan70 said:
Decorate your Christmas tree?

Now when they produce wireless Christmas tree lights... :banana-dance:

Now see what you did....see what you did there?? You just had to go and ruin it for him didn't you?

Where's your Christmas spirit? :angry-tappingfoot:

I didn't upgrade just to have HDMI, but all my gear is HDMI. Working well is only half the battle. The other industry getting industry support and becoming a standard. I hope the patents are solid because I can see different manufacturers trying to deploy their own proprietary solutions.

:text-bump:
I will be upgrading my family room in the near future. The TV tech stuff has really changed & is changing alot now. All the wifi monitors, apps, 3D, etc. But what I've seen in the past, controllers update sometimes alot later. I remember sometime back that HDMI will become wireless (and i think Flint posted about a possible different type of connector for HDMI as well).
Since I will need a new monitor, controller, BD player...just to start....alot of things to consider.

I have not done much with my upgrades, for me it has come down to funds. My Blu-Ray and Panny TV are the only things that even use HDMI as of now.

Back