• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Your New OLED TV has Shipped

My bad. I should've been more clear and specifically mentioned colder climates.

It's very likely his TV has spent the past several days in trucks, docks and warehouses where the temps ranged from 45F to 25F. If he were to open the box immediately upon receiving it, condensation will engulf the set inside and out. And if he were to plug it in and attempt to use it right away, well, let's just say that would not be wise.

So when you live in climates like ours, it's always best to give electronics time to adjust after delivery.

In a cold climate, they recommend warming up electronic gear to room temperature before plugging them in. They're worried that condensation will occur as the unit warms up, and that could potentially damage the electronics.

Congrats Jeff on the toy!

Along with the warming up concerns I have a big work meeting this afternoon/evening and would not have time to setup. Also I will need another pair of hands to help me out.

Well it finally got here , 3hours late and numereous phone calls to amazon and the carrier

OyFeygwN6EjFvjTwvgo1JgUxv_OhQLiYz7nQ2DMEcPeDk0WQ2Db-hP-WYW5zBlVBlEsEwi1NkUTlQXBNA0O15IBTwvVnbuJZBgwpm87PmnUcfvQ8XArFEuM4v74qz8n93EbuMuc0

Last edited:
Well today is the day to setup the new LG OLED. A friend is coming over later and to stream line setup I have been trying to do what ever I can ahead of him getting here.

I went online to review the manual and if the PDF I found is a copy of their user manual it is the most incomplete and virtually worthless manual I have ever seen for such a high end product.

I was pareticularly interested in seeing a picture/diagram with a detail of the inputs/outputs. so I could program my remote prior to setting up the TV. Eventually I did find something I could use by Googling "LG OLED 65B7A rear panel". Glad I have a fair idea of how to setup a TV as the manual is worthless.

More to come later.

Last edited:
Initial setup is completed. I setup the LG OLAED and the Sony 4k player. Not too difficult but I am going to have to fool around with the settings. I hooked up the sony player, one HDMI to the TV and the audio only HDMI to my Onkyo 5508. I don't know if something is wrong but the I rented a Wonder Woman 4K disc and the picture is phenominal but the sound doesn't seem to be processing correctly. the player shows the audio as Dolby True HD but the receiver seems to show the audio signal being received as PCM and I don't seem to be able to change that. Sounds ok maybe just not as "full" as if it were getting the True HD signal from the player. Will have to look into that. Also will have to tweek the picture settings. there is one setting "OLED Lamp" I think and I don't know what that is.

I am not real keen with the LG menus and interface, just something to get used to I guess. Will keep reporting.

Here are some pics

yY8NEj50ADGWiwCfTWGLMfbt0w8gMzEyjSSpQt8NZIkqjCDTytAVVFNQiTSu7gbB3IQhhPFOuc0RsQIL-8BTZpIvFEJq7Q8yGpJ0eSzJbWVoCbosQ1gm4PAj4SPUJCkK7MWxOt4t

Old Sammy before switching

nWXF1Y3wRHDtb4brV0jMx4Yq9CuViKrtGICWt38l_P8JMj25RZHCyqb7FRSlsMmMafYMYNPYAIcNEIEPApJjumWRdLNbK8naofL5wi_Hdpl75Cvit5p9jLbeWzfIE4MRVKhQULSY

LG partially unpacked

df3brXF9zJ3Li7MQwPsvuuZkImoW7dL3r-xfTJuVHadyV0xakJsk8Fw825NFtYjKca8dxXwSwDvyevDO397lX3IIbgkLdh9i7M3QCp1qZgPoBhImbDsEypztRyEChUju1_ESO4bI

Top view of LG, you really can't see how thin this thing is

lsA_XN7bje3dLXHGExno-fiDKFQQcgVF4p7hez8wtbsuD0BYscSKHRWBesw-UTTSdMM4009hRkw4a7vw-sFGy5Ss1ntX9V8voe7cuWd6i6KFkLIG7wz77_rcuGv-e3ALEmgp6gRV

LG set up and in place.

Last edited:
Have been playing around a bit and this set is amazing. 4k material (disks is all I have at this time) is amazing but what is really impressive is the other source material. Watching Netflix , it is like a live feed or something. I initially wondered if I made the right decision making a big purchase like this but no more doubts now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of your photos are you showing.

I am so excited for you. I am totally in love with OLED TVs after seeing them at CES two years in a row. I am curious to see what new tech they will be showing this year - about a month away.

Do you feel the need to calibrate beyond simple eying it?

I am so excited for you. I am totally in love with OLED TVs after seeing them at CES two years in a row. I am curious to see what new tech they will be showing this year - about a month away.

Do you feel the need to calibrate beyond simple eying it?

No I do not. I made a few adjustments but like yuu say it was by eyeing it.

I have been sampling alot in the last couple hours and yeah the 4k feed is fantastic but it is the view of other sources that really brings home how good this OLED is. Fantastic detail but more there is "depth" at times like 3D light. I streamed a few minutes of "Cheers" off Netflix and was amazed atthe picture.

I will be so busy for weeks (months) watching all my favorites again.

Congrats Jeff! I'm glad you are liking your new tv. The PCM output is probably a setting on the Sony. I know I had changed it playing around with settings, and it took me a minute to figure out which setting it was.

Congrats Jeff! I'm glad you are liking your new tv. The PCM output is probably a setting on the Sony. I know I had changed it playing around with settings, and it took me a minute to figure out which setting it was.

I have the Sony audio output set for Auto and it shows up as multichannel PCM on pre/pro. I noticed the Sony manual says you should use a "high speed" HDMI cable for the seperate audio only HDMI output. I am just using a HDMI cable I had , could that be the problem?

Are you using the new sony universal player that a number of us have gotten recently? If so, look for a "mix sound effects into surrounds" setting or something kinda like that. I believe that's the one that forces PCM; try turning that off. When I turned that off, I saw the usual codec lights on the pre/pro. (And I'm still using ancient hdmi 1.3 cables, nothing fancy.)

Are you using the new sony universal player that a number of us have gotten recently? If so, look for a "mix sound effects into surrounds" setting or something kinda like that. I believe that's the one that forces PCM; try turning that off. When I turned that off, I saw the usual codec lights on the pre/pro. (And I'm still using ancient hdmi 1.3 cables, nothing fancy.)

Pauly you are a champ. It is the "BD Audio MIX setting" and must be set to ON as default hadn't done anytthing with the settings on the sony). I switched it to OFF and am now getting the correct signal to my pre/pro.

Thanks Pauly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back