• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Your New OLED TV has Shipped

Don't know what I am doing wrong. Used Google Phto and the pics show up on my computer. Will work on it.

I tried my Photobucket account but get a thing that says I must update my account, think they want me to pay for it.

Yeah I see the pictures now, looking good!

That thing is a champ!

It is a little wierd watching a TV that large with no real bezel/border.
I agree. And because my old tv was a big DLP that had an entertainment center surrounding it, the new tv looks quite a bit smaller, even though the picture is only 3 inches smaller. Also, not sure if it's the tv, the upscaling on the player or a combination of both, but standard blurays look great. I know we don't have the same tv, but would guess experiences would be similar.

Huey

Standard BDs look phenomenal on my new set but it is all the TV as I was playing standard BD thru my old Oppo 93

I agree. And because my old tv was a big DLP that had an entertainment center surrounding it, the new tv looks quite a bit smaller, even though the picture is only 3 inches smaller. Also, not sure if it's the tv, the upscaling on the player or a combination of both, but standard blurays look great. I know we don't have the same tv, but would guess experiences would be similar.

Standard BDs look so good that I have decided NOT to do a wholesale replacement of my BDs with 4k disca. When I went from DVD to BD I rebought quite a few titles.

If something really special that I already have catches my attention and I can gt a decent price then I may replace a few.

To pull one of my classic "I told you so" screeds on you now, I told you so (not directed at MZPro specifically, but at all of you who tried to tell me there was no point in 4K TV unless you had a 4K source, which I tried repeatedly to debunk over and over and over with science and theory).

Of course, in this case the OLED has a contrast capability which is beyond any previous TV screen tech. That contributes to the 3D like effect mentioned above. But also, and this is real, the scaling processor can use the extra pixels to create smoother transitions between soft lines and sharper transitions for hard lines. That is a very real thing. The scaling processor can also extrapolate extra color information and take advantage of the UHD color space of the new screen. Between all of the anti-aliasing processing, color extrapolation, line modeling, and so on, the result is regular BluRay discs, and even DVDs and old SD broadcast quality video looking as good as it can possibly look. Of course, an old show like MASH can only have so much done to it before it looks over-processed, but it will look as good as it possibly can on this new 4K OLED, which is all you can ask for.

Standard BDs look so good that I have decided NOT to do a wholesale replacement of my BDs with 4k disca. When I went from DVD to BD I rebought quite a few titles.

If something really special that I already have catches my attention and I can gt a decent price then I may replace a few.
As I was watching the Force Awakens yesterday, I was thinking the same thing, really no sense in upgrading the movies when the standard blurays still look great with the new tech. I will say that the player probably does deserve some of the credit for the great looking picture. The upscaler has to be pretty good in the Sony, as my Dish picture still looks good and better than the old tv, but I wouldn't say it has increased in quality at the same level of the blurays, if that makes sense. Either way, I'm still very happy with the upgrades I have done, and have fun with your new tv.

^ my thinking is that could be due to the quality of the Blu-Ray disc vs Dish’s picture. Even if Dish were delivering 1080p it’s compressed.

^ my thinking is that could be due to the quality of the Blu-Ray disc vs Dish’s picture. Even if Dish were delivering 1080p it’s compressed.
I don't disagree with that, and wouldn't expect the Dish picture to look as good as a bluray. But I also think that the player upscaling the blurays is adding to the overall picture quality from the UHD bluray player.

I'll have to A/B test with my Oppo and the Sony. Watch a scene from a movie via one source component and then rewatch via the other source component.

To pull one of my classic "I told you so" screeds on you now, I told you so (not directed at MZPro specifically, but at all of you who tried to tell me there was no point in 4K TV unless you had a 4K source, which I tried repeatedly to debunk over and over and over with science and theory).

Of course, in this case the OLED has a contrast capability which is beyond any previous TV screen tech. That contributes to the 3D like effect mentioned above. But also, and this is real, the scaling processor can use the extra pixels to create smoother transitions between soft lines and sharper transitions for hard lines. That is a very real thing. The scaling processor can also extrapolate extra color information and take advantage of the UHD color space of the new screen. Between all of the anti-aliasing processing, color extrapolation, line modeling, and so on, the result is regular BluRay discs, and even DVDs and old SD broadcast quality video looking as good as it can possibly look. Of course, an old show like MASH can only have so much done to it before it looks over-processed, but it will look as good as it possibly can on this new 4K OLED, which is all you can ask for.
As you know I'll be buying a new set soon. I just did a search on oled tv's and it seems there went many 75" options out there and what do exist are way out of my price range. Looks like it's led for me.

As you know I'll be buying a new set soon. I just did a search on oled tv's and it seems there went many 75" options out there and what do exist are way out of my price range. Looks like it's led for me.

Me too. I’m jealous of people that have the feeedom to manage their seating distances to keep screen sizes reasonable.

Me too. I’m jealous of people that have the feeedom to manage their seating distances to keep screen sizes reasonable.
I'm about 9' from the screen, maybe 10. I think 65 would be fine but I'm looking to get close to that projector feel.

If it weren't for the special deal from LG over Black Friday I would not have been able to afford.

Back