• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

youtube player?

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
Quick question - opinions on a device for playing youtube videos through a TV? A friend wants to be able to watch youtube videos on his (non-"smart") TV, figured I'd ask about what the best way to accomplish that is. I assume the roku will do this? How easy is it to navigate? He's not a techie... He tried a chromecast with his android tablet, but it didn't work well at all, as it seemed to have very poor wireless radio strength. Now he's primarily using an iPad with youtube.

Yeah, the Roku would be my first choice. He should be able to find and start the video on the Ipad and transfer it to the Roku without issue.

John

Yuuuup ... Roku.

YouTube has a good Roku app and the interface/hookup can't be easier. It has the fastest interface out there and the devices are cheap and simple.

I haven't used my Roku II with EweTube, as the input interface (typing the name of the video on the screen with arrows and an Enter) is ridiculous. Am I missing something? :think:

I think the idea is that he'll mainly search and control what video is playing via the iPad, but once the video is playing, he wants to watch it on the larger screen.

I'm a newb at this, I've never used any streaming devices/apps except the simple netflix app on my BD player. I've never used youtube outside a PC browser...

Ah, okay. I tried doing that with the Chromecast stick, and it didn't work very well at all (video was very jerky, I took the stick back).

Yeah, he had a chromecast as well, which I attempted to hook up. But it couldn't get any signal from his home network, despite the tv being not too far from the router, hence my suspicion about its less than stellar radio strength. That has also made me hesitant to try the amazon fire stick, which looks like a very similar product. I'm hoping a more full-size device will work better for him.

Botch said:
I haven't used my Roku II with EweTube, as the input interface (typing the name of the video on the screen with arrows and an Enter) is ridiculous. Am I missing something? :think:
I have the same frustration when I try to use my Sony Blu-ray players to stream live feeds. They have internet access but after that navigation is primitive at best. Last night I managed, after 10 minutes, to get to the page that I could then use to launch a live stream of a local sporting event, but for the life of me couldn't do it. Hobbled downstairs to my office computer instead.

Jeff

AppleTV + Remote app on iPad. You then have the option of using AirPlay or the AppleTV YouTube app.

I can't believe I'm the one with this recommendation...

CMonster said:
AppleTV + Remote app on iPad. You then have the option of using AirPlay or the AppleTV YouTube app.

I can't believe I'm the one with this recommendation...
:laughing-rolling:

:text-+1: though...

JeffMackwood said:
Botch said:
I have the same frustration when I try to use my Sony Blu-ray players to stream live feeds. They have internet access but after that navigation is primitive at best. Last night I managed, after 10 minutes, to get to the page that I could then use to launch a live stream of a local sporting event, but for the life of me couldn't do it. Hobbled downstairs to my office computer instead.

Jeff
One of the streaming solutions now has a voice input, can't remember which (was it the Amazon box?), that would clean things up nicely. I'm continually impressed with my Amazon Echo's voice recognition (Basia notwithstanding) so there's still hope. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

PaulyT said:
I'm hoping a more full-size device will work better for him.
The Fire TV stick is a full size device. In fact it's more powerful than a Roku. But if your friend uses an iPad, then the Apple TV is a good solution if he doesn't mind spending $100 on a device just watch youtube videos on his TV.

Actually, the "Remote" app can be downloaded to an iPod touch or iPhone, the ipad isn't REQUIRED. With any of those idevices, the Remote app is a really nice compliment to the Appletv since all search functions default to the device's keypad opposed to scrolling through an onscreen keyboard.

In summary make sure you get a wired device. I hate trying to use WiFi for video streaming. That means Roku 3 or AppleTV to me. (I really just added the AppleTV to have CMonster's back.)

John

I'll toss a +1 on the Apple TV rec. I've had two of them for years and I've never encountered a better interface.

Back