• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

61xn328lNIL.jpg

Wish You Were Here -- SACD

Pink Floyd

1975/2011 Pink Floyd/EMI Records

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here on Hybrid 5.1 SACD

Pink Floyd's 1975 Classic Finally Arrives on Stellar-Sounding SACD: Stereo and Surround Options are the Best of All Worlds

Mixed for 5.1 from Original Multi-Track Master Tapes by Pink Floyd Engineer James Guthrie

An Essential Counterpart to Dark Side of the Moon–The Biggest-Selling SACD in History

Shine on You Crazy Diamond: Reflective Landmark Ranked #209 on Rolling Stone List of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

You Will Never Hear a More Immersive, Realistic Digital Version

This one requires no introduction. But it's deserving of constant celebration. The legendary English psychedelic rock band's 1975 masterpiece, Wish You Were Here remains a staple of poignant emotion, pioneering arrangements, clever wit, and timeless performance. Forever an audiophile and music staple, the blockbuster is finally available on an incredible-sounding digital version, courtesy of this Hybrid 5.1 SACD.

Mixed for 5.1 from Original Multi-Track Master Tapes by Pink Floyd Engineer James Guthrie, Wish You Were Here reveals countless new layers of information, detail, and dynamics. We'll stake our reputation on it: You will never hear a better digital edition, and for that matter, whether you opt to listen in stereo or surround, you'll never be closer to the music. The stereo version is transferred from the original analog master tapes.

Anchored by the longing title track, heartfelt tribute to founder Syd Barrett "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," and nervy takedown of music-business hypocrisy "Have a Cigar," the follow-up to Dark Side is equally great and just as iconic. As much as any multiplatinum album in history, Wish You Were Here employs cutting-edge studio effects and unimaginable atmospheric techniques to paint an impossibly broad canvas.

On this SACD, the enormous soundscapes, introspective echoes, and brazen guitar washes take on a life of their own. Airy, complete with full frequency extension and unparalleled realism, the disc drops Pink Floyd into your listening room. This is reach-out-and-touch-it quality, the kind of perspective and experience for which all audiophiles crave.

DO NOT MISS THIS LANDMARK DISC! Anyone who has a high-end system needs to hear it.

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Track Listing:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One)
2. Welcome To The Machine
3. Have A Cigar
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part Two)

Pink Floyd: David Gilmour (vocals, guitar); Richard Wright (vocals, keyboards, VCS3 syntheszier); Roger Waters (vocals, bass); Nick Mason (drums).Additional personnel: Roy Harper (vocals); Dick Parry (saxophone); Venetta Fields, Carlena Williams (background vocals).Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, England from January-July 1975.Digitally remastered by Doug Sax (The Mastering Lab, Los Angeles, California).

^--- dang, I think I'm gonna have to get that one. Ain't cheap though...

^ I just checked too, may have to pass on that one; I did get DSOTM in 5.1, well worth it (and affordable!)

Yeah, have that. Wonder why Wish You Were Here is so much more expensive? Huh... oh well, ordered anyway, as I think that's probably my favorite Floyd album, even more than DSOTM. The Wall is close up there too though... and just googling now, there are rumors at least that Guthrie is mixing a 5.1 SACD of The Wall. Sigh, just too much good stuff out there.

Babs is in a 'Beth Hart' kinda mood!!!! This lady is AMaZING!!!! :handgestures-thumbup:

One of my favorites....Caught Out In The Rain!!!!!

d0dd0c869a43cbbcc9a303dbd80.jpg

Beth Hart is playing the Egyptian Theater in Park City next weekend. It's a three-day weekend and I was planning on a road trip, but… :shhh:

PaulyT said:
Yeah, have that. Wonder why Wish You Were Here is so much more expensive? Huh... oh well, ordered anyway, as I think that's probably my favorite Floyd album, even more than DSOTM. The Wall is close up there too though... and just googling now, there are rumors at least that Guthrie is mixing a 5.1 SACD of The Wall. Sigh, just too much good stuff out there.
I think DSOTM is still "in print", while WYWH is not; supply/demand…
SO GLAD to hear Wall is coming out in 5.1! :text-thankyoublue: :text-bravo: I listened to that double album every single night, on headphones, my entire junior year; really got into it. :music-listening:

ce73225b9da01f8ef2c34110.L.jpg

Paul Desmond & The Modern Jazz Quartet -- Remastered CD

1993 Sony/Red Barron Records

The MJQ made their annual Christmas gig at New York's Town Hall one year, and who should show up after intermission but Paul Desmond, who would hardly bring himself to play with anyone in those days, save a Creed Taylor record date or two. The cool classical modernists and the dry-martini altoist are not unexpectedly a close fit -- after all, Percy Heath and especially Connie Kay had been fixtures on Desmond's solo sessions -- and they do some relaxed swinging turns on some congenial standards, adaptations of P.D. tunes ("La Paloma," "Greensleeves"), one current hit ("Jesus Christ Superstar" in a cute John Lewis arrangement), and the inevitable "Bags' Groove" (here entitled "Bags' New Groove"). Again, Desmond softly intones perhaps his favorite standard in the repertoire (he recorded it countless times), "You Go to My Head," tumbling contrapuntally around Milt Jackson in the tune, while "East of the Sun" has a fine chase sequence between the two down the stretch. Though they had been friends since the 1950s, this was apparently the only time the MJQ and Desmond ever performed in public, making this one-off album (issued well after Desmond's death through Lewis's efforts) a thing to savor for fans of all five musicians. ~ Richard S. Ginell

Track Listing
1. Greensleeves
2. You Go to My Head
3. Blue Dove (La Paloma Azul)
4. Jesus Christ Superstar
5. Here's That Rainy Day
6. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon)
7. Bags' New Groove

Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); John Lewis (piano); Percy Heath (bass); Connie Kay (drums).Producers: John Lewis, Ken Glancy.Reissue producers: Ken Glancy, Bob Thiele.Recorded live at Town Hall, New York, New York on December 25, 1971. Includes liner notes by Irving Townsend.Digitally remastered by Chris Herles (Sony Studios, New York, New York).

BTW....

The Remastered SACD of "Dark Side" came out 10 years ago, in 2003. WYWH is the newer 2011 remaster and IMHO a much better job. Although I'm not saying the 2003 is not good, it is but... it is not the best version of "DSOTM" I have. I think the "96"(?) Mofi Gold OMR is superior.

I think the 2011 WYWH is the definitive version period. But at $40+, it is pricey and something I rarely buy myself. I'm thrilled I bought it and it is my go to disc for demo, especially the song WYWH. Just WOW! :bow-blue:

Dennie :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

51Wb7H%2BFM6L.jpg

Lullabies of Birdland -- CD

Ella Fitzgerald

2007 Verve Records

With her impeccably clean phrasing, fluid scat-singing, and confident sense of swing, Ella Fitzgerald (1917-1996) was one of America's and the world's most popular jazz singers. Fitzgerald was a favored singing partner of Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Dizzy Gillespie (who had a profound influence on her singing during bebop's rise), and Duke Ellington, and achieved both critical and popular success during her lifetime. LULLABIES OF BIRDLAND consists of recordings from 1945 to 1955, offering a cross-section of Swing-era standards, many of which she flat-out owned by the end of her career ("Oh Lady Be Good" and "How High The Moon" among them).

Track Listing
1. Lullaby of Birdland
2. Rough Ridin'
3. Angel Eyes
4. Smooth Sailing
5. Lady Be Good! Oh
6. Later
7. Ella Hums the Blues
8. How High the Moon?
9. Basin Street Blues
10. Air Mail Special
11. Flying Home

Personnel: Chris Griffin , Sam Taylor , Andrew Ferretti, Ray Charles Quintet, James Nottingham, Sandy Block, Dick Jacobs, Everett Barksdale, Hank Jones , Dave McRae , Jimmy Crawford , Al Grey, Ray Brown , Sid Cooper, Sy Oliver, Taft Jordan, The Ray Charles Singers, Bill Doggett, Bob Haggart, Bob Peck, Bernie Privin, Rudy Traylor, Mort Bullman, Milt Yaner, Johnny Blowers.

Dennie said:
BTW....

The Remastered SACD of "Dark Side" came out 10 years ago, in 2003. WYWH is the newer 2011 remaster and IMHO a much better job. Although I'm not saying the 2003 is not good, it is but... it is not the best version of "DSOTM" I have. I think the "96"(?) Mofi Gold OMR is superior.

I think the 2011 WYWH is the definitive version period. But at $40+, it is pricey and something I rarely buy myself. I'm thrilled I bought it and it is my go to disc for demo, especially the song WYWH. Just WOW! :bow-blue:

Since I am still trying to trying to convince the wife of in-ceiling speakers for the rear channel, I have never truly heard these in 5.1. With the exception of 7.1 headphones I used to have and while some of the subtleties came through, a bunch were missing. Last week I ordered the WYWH one just so I will have it for future listening.

I have all three Immersion Box Sets and they have a WYWH 5.1 version on the Blu-Ray disc (Disc 5). My guess is these are the same sounding, just the one on order is more or less "packaging"?

The only MFSL disc I don't have by Pink Floyd is The Wall. Guthries mix is better in the Discovery Box Set as he worked with Ezrin on the original recording. I have heard the Japan MFSL version and while good, Guthrie did an even better job of getting the tape hiss out of the mix.

The MFSL to get if you can find it, would be Atom Heart Mother. Go through all of the interviews of the last 40 years and one thing is a constant: "We rushed through the production." It is a textbook example of extreme tape hiss contained within an album. MFSL damn near eliminated 95% of it.

One thing I will add, if any you like WYWH and do not have: http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-St...&sr=8-2&keywords=making+of+wish+you+were+here I would suggest acquiring it.

Pauly, you also mentioned The Wall might be next. I am seeing maybe next year an AMLOR, Animals and Piper (or Meddle) Immersion Box Set. I am friends with Guy Pratt and we have discussed at length some evenings on all things Pink Floyd. It appears that "David would like to rid AMLOR of the 80's sound". I am thinking Rick's hammond might replace the synths. Could be wrong here, but I believe this and Nick's actual drumming (AMLOR's drums consisted of Keltner or drum machine. Nick hadn't been behind the kit since The Final Cut to that point and felt his drumming wasn't up to par) might be included. The Immersion's would be next and would be three more that I will have to get.....................(it's only money) then I could see a The Wall SACD coming into fruition maybe late 2014-early 2015). Thinking from a business stand point is all.

Sorry for the long winded response guys.

41cJKnlZWuL.jpg

Jaco -- DVD-A

Brian Bromberg

2003 A440 Music Group

This is a logical tribute album from one great bassist (Brian Bromberg) to another (Jaco Pastorius). The front of the CD purposely resembles Pastorius' debut recording and the program features six Pastorius songs (including two versions apiece of "Come on, Come Over" and "Teen Town"), Joe Zawinul's "A Remark You Made," the R&B standard "The Chicken," and Bromberg's "Tears." A master at tapping his bass and equally skilled on electric and acoustic basses, Bromberg also has the ability to sound a bit like Pastorius when he wants. This excellent tribute set uses different personnel and instrumentations on each selection and shows off the many sides of Pastorius, both as a bassist and as a composer. Highly recommended.
AMG Review by Scott Yanow

1. Come On, Come Over
2. Continuum
3. Teen Town (bass version)
4. A Remark You Made
5. Portrait of Tracy
6. Three Views of a Secret
7. The Chicken
8. Tears
9. Slang
10. Teen Town (piccolo bass)

The DVD-A is not WATERMARKED

Personnel: Brian Bromberg (arranger, acoustic & electric basses, programming); Bill Champlain (vocals); Dan Higgins, Larry Williams, Bob Mintzer, Eric Marienthal (saxophone); Gary Grant, Jerry Hey (trumpet); Andy Martin (trombone); USC Symphony Orchestra (strings); Tom Zink (piano, keyboards, programming); Jeff Lorber (electric piano, keyboards, programming); Gregg Mathison (Hammond B-3 organ); Gannin Arnold (guitar); Derrick "D Lok" Walker, Joel Taylor (drums); Chris Wabich (steel drums); Alex Acuna (percussion).

JayD said:
Dennie said:
BTW....

Since I am still trying to trying to convince the wife of in-ceiling speakers for the rear channel, I have never truly heard these in 5.1. With the exception of 7.1 headphones I used to have and while some of the subtleties came through, a bunch were missing. Last week I ordered the WYWH one just so I will have it for future listening.

I have all three Immersion Box Sets and they have a WYWH 5.1 version on the Blu-Ray disc (Disc 5). My guess is these are the same sounding, just the one on order is more or less "packaging"?

The only MFSL disc I don't have by Pink Floyd is The Wall. Guthries mix is better in the Discovery Box Set as he worked with Ezrin on the original recording. I have heard the Japan MFSL version and while good, Guthrie did an even better job of getting the tape hiss out of the mix.

The MFSL to get if you can find it, would be Atom Heart Mother. Go through all of the interviews of the last 40 years and one thing is a constant: "We rushed through the production." It is a textbook example of extreme tape hiss contained within an album. MFSL damn near eliminated 95% of it.

One thing I will add, if any you like WYWH and do not have: http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-St...&sr=8-2&keywords=making+of+wish+you+were+here I would suggest acquiring it.

Pauly, you also mentioned The Wall might be next. I am seeing maybe next year an AMLOR, Animals and Piper (or Meddle) Immersion Box Set. I am friends with Guy Pratt and we have discussed at length some evenings on all things Pink Floyd. It appears that "David would like to rid AMLOR of the 80's sound". I am thinking Rick's hammond might replace the synths. Could be wrong here, but I believe this and Nick's actual drumming (AMLOR's drums consisted of Keltner or drum machine. Nick hadn't been behind the kit since The Final Cut to that point and felt his drumming wasn't up to par) might be included. The Immersion's would be next and would be three more that I will have to get.....................(it's only money) then I could see a The Wall SACD coming into fruition maybe late 2014-early 2015). Thinking from a business stand point is all.

Sorry for the long winded response guys.

I should be clear, I listened to this in 2 Channel Stereo. I have two big ol'Klipsch La Scala speakers and everything sounds better through them. My 2 channel rig and HT are combined in the same room, but I typically choose 2 channel Stereo. Soon, I will give WYWH a listen in 5.1, which I'm sure will impress.

I don't do Blu. and probably never well. I've got too much invested in DVD, so I'm not willing to give that up and re-buy over 3000 DVD's in Blu-ray format. If anything, I will go to Download next.

Thanks for the info JayD, I'm still searching for a MFSL of "The Wall" that I can afford. :scared-eek:

Oh and BTW, my inwall and inceiling surrounds sound fantastic. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

Dennie:

Before you give up on Blue Ray from the jump start, There are a few hi rez releases coming out on that format.

I don't even have a 1080P TV and I have two BD players - for the future.

SACD and DVD-A are not coming back.

Dennie said:
I don't do Blu. and probably never well. I've got too much invested in DVD, so I'm not willing to give that up and re-buy over 3000 DVD's in Blu-ray format.

You don't have to. Get a universal player, and pay a bit more for new blurays if it looks like a good release. I've only "Double-dipped" on maybe three of my DVDs, otherwise I watch what I have. In fact there's been a couple things I've since purchased on DVD, even though a bluray was available (they were things where tack-sharp picture wasn't necessary).

And thanks for the link to a somewhat-reasonable WYWH; I automatically look at Amazon and forget about these other sources. Boughted! :text-thankyoublue:

51-1OhI6spL._SS500_.jpg

Sunflower -- CD

Milt Jackson - Herbie Hancock - Freddie Hubbard - Ron Carter - Billy Cobham

1972/1997 CTI/Epic Legacy

Recorded over two days in December of 1972 at Rudy Van Gelder's Englewood, New Jersey home studio, vibraphonist Milt Jackson's Sunflower is the first -- and best -- of his three albums for Creed Taylor's CTI imprint. (And one of the finest offerings on the label.) With a core band consisting of Herbie Hancock (playing electric and acoustic piano), bassist Ron Carter, drummer Billy Cobham, trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, drummer/percussionist Ralph McDonald, and guitarist Jay Berliner. A chamber orchestra exquisitely arranged and conducted by Don Sebesky adorns the session as well. Jackson's "For Someone I Love," opens the five-tune set, with Berliner playing solo flamenco guitar before the vibes, trumpet, and elements from the chamber orchestra delicately, impressionistically color the background. It gradually moves into a languid, bluesy ballad that slowly gains in both texture and dynamic until the strings trill tensely. Hubbard and Hancock engage them in solos that gently swing out the tune. The reading of Michel Legrand's "What Are You Doing for the Rest of Your Life" is a gorgeous showcase for Jackson; his solo dominates the arrangement. Carter gets downright funky on his upright to introduce Thom Bell's "People Make the World Go Round," and Hancock follows him on Rhodes. Jackson takes the melody, striking a layered contrast as Hubbard slips around all three playing an extension of the melody with requisite taste, fluidity, and taut phrasing. Hancock gets funky to the bone in his brief solo, as the vibes soar around and through his phrases. The title track is a Hubbard composition that floats and hovers with a Latin backbeat before shifting tempos as the solos begin. The expanded harmonic palette of trumpet with the reeds, woodwinds, and strings on the melody add an exotic textural palette for his solo. Jackson's "SKJ" closes the set with an old-school, swinging hard bop blues with barely detectable embellishments by Sebesky. While Sunflower sometimes feels more like a group session rather than a Jackson-led one, that's part of its exquisite beauty. [In 2011, Sunflower saw reissue as part of Sony's 40th Anniversary series celebrating CTI. It was remastered from the original two-track analog tapes in order to best capture the sound of the LP. ~ Thom Jurek

1. For Someone I Love
2. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?
3. People Make the World Go Round
4. Sunflower
5. SKJ

Milt Jackson – vibes
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet, flugelhorn
Herbie Hancock - piano
Jay Berliner - guitar
Ron Carter - bass
Billy Cobham - drums
Ralph MacDonald - percussion
Romeo Penque - alto flute, English horn, oboe
Phil Bodner - flute, alto flute, piccolo, English horn
George Marge - clarinet, bass clarinet, alto flute, English horn
Max Ellen, Paul Gershman, Emanuel Green, Charles Libove, Joe Malin, David Nadien, Gene Orloff, Elliot Rosoff, Irving Spice - violin
Charles McCraken, George Ricci, Alan Shulman - cello
Margaret Ross - harp
Don Sebesky - arranger, conductor

Bob R said:
Dennie:

Before you give up on Blue Ray from the jump start, There are a few hi rez releases coming out on that format.

I don't even have a 1080P TV and I have two BD players - for the future.

SACD and DVD-A are not coming back.

You are right Bob (and Botch). I have not entirely given up on Blu-Ray, but unless I get a player for Christmas or something, I don't see myself buying one. If it happens, I will welcome it mainly for the music, not movies.

...and btw Bob, SACD and DVD-A are still going strong. There are many, many new titles added daily. Well, SACD. DVD-A may be about over with, so I'm scooping them up when I see them cheap.

Thanks guys,

Dennie

Botch said:
Dennie said:
I don't do Blu. and probably never well. I've got too much invested in DVD, so I'm not willing to give that up and re-buy over 3000 DVD's in Blu-ray format.

You don't have to. Get a universal player, and pay a bit more for new blurays if it looks like a good release. I've only "Double-dipped" on maybe three of my DVDs, otherwise I watch what I have. In fact there's been a couple things I've since purchased on DVD, even though a bluray was available (they were things where tack-sharp picture wasn't necessary).

And thanks for the link to a somewhat-reasonable WYWH; I automatically look at Amazon and forget about these other sources. Boughted! :text-thankyoublue:

Yeah, I go to Amazon first, but if the disc is $50, I search around. LOL

You are going to love it, my friend! :text-bravo:

Dennie :music-listening:

Thanks JayD, that's interesting info. Yeah I saw that making of WYWH video, wasn't sure if it was worth it... but I'll give it a second look now, thanks.

Back