• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New TV

Huey

Famous
It was the wife's big shopping day yesterday, so we were able to finally get the 70" Vizio tv that I had decided to get. Of course, there always has to be problems.

My tv stand, which has severed me well for 3 DLP's, didn't work well with the new peg legged tv. Ended up screwing a couple of 1 by 4's on the stand, so the pegs had somewhere to sit. Temporary fix, but it will be good until I figure out another stand option. We have an entertainment center as well, originally for the old projection tv's so it didn't come with a stand, just two wood and glass towers, with a bridge on top. Not really a complaint, but it is a problem, but the new tv has a much smaller bezzle, and is 3 inches smaller in screen size, so it doesn't exactly fill the whole that was left by the last tv.

Also had problems setting up the smartcast on my phone. It took 3 tries before it finally completed, but once it did, it seemed to work fine.

Have a few questions about the HDMI connections. Looking at the manual it says ARC only available on HDMI1, and I'm guessing this is if you want to send an audio signal back to the receiver? There is also a table that is a little confusing.
First grid says HDMI version Port 1 supports v2.0, ports 2-5 v 1.4
Second grid says HDMI 1 spec 600MHZ pixel clock rate Supports hdr10 with hdmi2.0
Third grid say HDMI 2-4 spec 340mhz pixel clock rate Supports hdr10 with hdmi 1.4
Anybody know that this means? I know Towen had stated that only one of the ports was 4k capable, so maybe that is what they are getting at?

I had bought Office Christmas Party last weekend, wife and I saw it at the theater last year and we both liked it, but realized when I went to exchange disks in the player the other night, that we had watched the dvd version of it. Doh! So I threw the Bluray in last night, and wow, what a difference. I didn't do any setup, except to cycle through the different preset video options, and computer option looked the best. It looked really good! On the other hand, threw in Rogue One, and that looked really grainy, so I'm sure I'll have to play around with the settings a bit more. Overall, happy with this purchase.

Yes, ARC is for sending audio back to the receiver. This would be used when you use the smart apps built into the TV or OTA broadcasts unless I am missing some other scenarios where you would use this.

My $0.02 on the entertainment stand...time to ditch it and wall mount.

Last edited:
Yes, ARC is for sending audio back to the receiver. This would be used when you use the smart apps built into the TV or OTA broadcasts unless I am missing some other scenarios where you would use this.

My $0.02 on the entertainment stand...time to ditch it and wall mount.
Flint had the idea, and it wasn't a bad one, to let the tv be the HDMI switcher instead of having to upgrade to a new receiver. I will probably have to do that to be able to watch Netflix in 4K and still have sound. Or not, since I have a new 4K bluray player that should be able to stream 4K netflix content. Thanks for answering my question Andy.

Flint had the idea, and it wasn't a bad one, to let the tv be the HDMI switcher instead of having to upgrade to a new receiver. I will probably have to do that to be able to watch Netflix in 4K and still have sound. Or not, since I have a new 4K bluray player that should be able to stream 4K netflix content. Thanks for answering my question Andy.

there are a couple out there that can do it on the fly too, meaning you dont have to switch back and forth. i will have my coffee and try to find it later on amazon. i believe it was also cheap for 25 bucks or so. its a 3 port switch.

Arc is a pain in the butt for me, and the main reason why i got the older samsung blu-ray player for this house. it has two hdmi outs, so you can send the audio directly to the AVR/soundbar and the display goes straight up the tvs' backside.

there are a couple out there that can do it on the fly too, meaning you dont have to switch back and forth. i will have my coffee and try to find it later on amazon. i believe it was also cheap for 25 bucks or so. its a 3 port switch.

Arc is a pain in the butt for me, and the main reason why i got the older samsung blu-ray player for this house. it has two hdmi outs, so you can send the audio directly to the AVR/soundbar and the display goes straight up the tvs' backside.
The 3d bluray player I have now, also has dual ports, and 4k Bluray I have ordered has the same thing. So as long as I can stream netflix in 4K from the player, I shouldn't need to use the ARC output, at least not at this point.

Have you considered just mounting it to the wall? That is often the best (and safest) approach for these sets.
I've thought about it, but we have this massive entertainment system that houses all of the gear and media, and would hate to lose that. We bought it when we had our old crt projection tv, so it never came with a stand, just two towers and a bridge. I'll probably end up buying a new table, maybe one that has mounts on it as well.

I've thought about it, but we have this massive entertainment system that houses all of the gear and media, and would hate to lose that. We bought it when we had our old crt projection tv, so it never came with a stand, just two towers and a bridge. I'll probably end up buying a new table, maybe one that has mounts on it as well.

You could still use a wall mount under the bridge and between the towers. You could then put your center channel on a stand right below the screen or put a table there, but the TV would be super stable and safe from getting knocked over.

You could still use a wall mount under the bridge and between the towers. You could then put your center channel on a stand right below the screen or put a table there, but the TV would be super stable and safe from getting knocked over.
I have the entertainment center roughly 18 inches from the wall, so there is roughly 3 1/2 to 4 ft from the front of it to the wall. Side angle viewing would be completely lost in that scenario. I like the idea, and it's probably the cheapest solution, but I would have to lose the entertainment center. I'll probably find a nice tv stand/table that fits and works. Thanks for the help though Scott.

My TV is on a huge articulating mount, so I pulled it forward nearly flush with the book cases on either side of it. The reason I wall mounted mine is that I have a very expensive stand that is too narrow to stand the TV on, but holds all of my gear and center channel perfectly.

i think towen showed his too recently. pretty good if thi is what you want or need. heck now i have to work on ours with yet another fireplace hindering my ideal spot.

i think towen showed his too recently. pretty good if thi is what you want or need. heck now i have to work on ours with yet another fireplace hindering my ideal spot.

We should start a He-man fireplace haters club. Damn fireplaces.

This has not been an easy upgrade. Until this morning, Amazon couldn't tell me for sure when my new player would arrive, so I stopped last night and picked up one from Walmart. And of course, the new tv's inputs are on the end farthest away from my gear, so the 6 foot hdmi cable I had wasn't long enough. Back to Walmart I go for a longer cable. Have to have a player with dual hdmi's as my receiver won't pass a 4k signal, get everything hooked up and no sound. Played around with the settings, unplugged cables, and it wasn't until I swapped inputs that I was able to get sound from the player. And then it did it again. Come to find out, if I turned the system off, and then back on to watch a movie, the sound will not work until I unplug the hdmi cable from the receiver on the tv.

Next, I go to put in Valerian, which I bought on it's release day but hadn't opened it yet. But when I go to open it, it's already been opened and the 4k disk is missing. Asked the kids if they had it, but until yesterday, there was nothing to play it on, so I'm guessing I bought and already opened movie and somebody pilfered the 4k disk. I'm going to talk to a guy my wife knows pretty well at the store, but I don't know if it will do any good.

I'm a little disappointed in Netflix 4K offerings, seems to be pretty much Netflix originals, which is ok, but I was hoping for some nature shows or at least a couple of good movies thrown in there.

sorry to hear your problems huey.

what player are you waiting from amazon? they are doing a shitty service delivering stuff to be honest, and its not even christmas yet.

sorry to hear your problems huey.

what player are you waiting from amazon? they are doing a shitty service delivering stuff to be honest, and its not even christmas yet.
It was the Sony that everybody has been buying lately, and it showed up today. With batteries!

I can't get this figured out. I've tried two players, both with the same results. I have to have dual hdmi's on the player, one for video straight to the tv, and the other for sound at the receiver. Everything plays fine until I hook up the hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. Then I lose sound at the receiver for the bluray player, but not anything else. so I could switch to Dish, and it would everything would play fine. Switch back to bluray, and no sound from the receiver unless I unplug the hdmi cable from the receiver. I'm sure it's some sort of handshake issue, but I've looked in all the menu's and can't find anything that might fix this. Any ideas?

I don't quite understand why you need to run a hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. For the BD player you should have one HDMI from the player to the TV and one from the player to the receiver, don;t see where the recover to the tv comes in.

Maybe I am missing something.

Rob

are you sure you have the correct HDMI port designated on the reciver for the BD player connection?

I have already figured out how I will set mine u similar to yours. All sources except BD player will go into receiver via various HDMI inputs on receiver and from recier to HDMI out to HDMI 1 on the TV. . Audio fromn the player will go into HDMI not taken up by other sources (provide you have sufficient HDMI inputs on your receiver) and you will have 1 HDMI from the player to HDMI2 on the TV.

It was the Sony that everybody has been buying lately, and it showed up today. With batteries!

I can't get this figured out. I've tried two players, both with the same results. I have to have dual hdmi's on the player, one for video straight to the tv, and the other for sound at the receiver. Everything plays fine until I hook up the hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv. Then I lose sound at the receiver for the bluray player, but not anything else. so I could switch to Dish, and it would everything would play fine. Switch back to bluray, and no sound from the receiver unless I unplug the hdmi cable from the receiver. I'm sure it's some sort of handshake issue, but I've looked in all the menu's and can't find anything that might fix this. Any ideas?
can it be the cables then?

its a possibility.

Back