• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New TV

Rob

are you sure you have the correct HDMI port designated on the reciver for the BD player connection?

I have already figured out how I will set mine u similar to yours. All sources except BD player will go into receiver via various HDMI inputs on receiver and from recier to HDMI out to HDMI 1 on the TV. . Audio fromn the player will go into HDMI not taken up by other sources (provide you have sufficient HDMI inputs on your receiver) and you will have 1 HDMI from the player to HDMI2 on the TV.
If I'm understanding this correctly, I think we will have similar setups. My receiver will not pass 4K signals, so UHD Bluray player needed two outputs, one for video directly to the tv, and one for sound to the receiver. Then all of my other sources are plugged into the receiver, which is then fed to the tv via a second HDMI.

I don't think it's the cables Jomari, I think it has something to do with the ARC on the tv sending a signal back to the bluray player. There is some message that pops up, although I can't remember exactly what it says, but it has something to do with ARC.

I forgot to mention, doing a calibration on the tv yesterday, and it has a preset video mode called calibrated and calibrated dark, and after checking with the Disney WOW disk, both of these were pretty much spot on, and I only had to tweak the color and hue slightly. I'm glad to see that tv producers are starting to take the picture seriously and give us a good picture straight out of the box.

One thing that was driving me crazy though, is the sound was slightly off with the tv, so it seemed pretty weird when people were talking. There is a lip sync feature on the WOW disk that is really easy to use, and it said I was 4ms off, but it took 40ms on the receiver to correct.

just trying to eliminate a possible kink in the chain. i was going to say something stupid but this is the internet. putting both kink and chain together comes up with.... kinkchain. :D

Huey, my set up is much simpler do to lack of options so take this for what it's worth. I'm simply running the HDMI (from sony player) out to my TV. At that point my audio is sent via (from tv) optical cable to my pre/pro. No issues at all. Well thaats a lie, I have a single DVD Audio disc that won't play but that's another thread.
Does this help?

Last edited:
Huey, my set up is much simpler do to lack of options so take this for what it's worth. I'm simply running the HDMI (from sony player) out to my TV. At that point my audio is sent via (from tv) optical cable to my pre/pro. No issues at all. Well thaats a lie, I have a single DVD Audio disc that won't play but that's another thread.
Does this help?
Yes, I could do that, but I would give up the lossless audio of the movies in the process. The other option would be something similar, but instead of optical, the tv has a function where it will send audio back to tv, which I'm guessing is part of the reason I'm having problems now. The manual only states 5.1, although I don't know if it's lossless or not. I would hope it would just pass through the signal, so that I could get 7.1 lossless, but I'm guessing I'd lose DVD-Audio and SACD by doing it this way. Gonna contact Vizio today and see if they have a work around. Can't believe I'm the only one to ever have this problem.

BTW, I had a heck of a time getting my Xbox to display. I have it hooked directly to the receiver, but once I had the new tv in place, it knew that I had a 4k tv in the chain, and automatically switched to that resolution. And for whatever reason it didn't switch back after 20 seconds like it should, although I could've hit the button to confirm the resolution, and since my receiver can't pass through a 4k signal, the screen was black. Had to hook it up directly to the tv and switch back, but even then it wanted to switch back to 4K.

Have you turned off CEC?
Yes, one of the first things I did, but I also double checked that last night. It's strange that it works fine, I get a picture on the tv from the hdmi feeding it, and sound at the receiver from the seperate hdmi feeding it, but as soon as plug in the other hdmi to the tv, it kills the sound from the bluray player.

ARC is not lossless 5.1. The new eARC does support lossless 7.1, but it requires a new receiver which supports eARC.

ARC is not lossless 5.1. The new eARC does support lossless 7.1, but it requires a new receiver which supports eARC.
Thanks, and that's exactly why I want to feed the receiver from the player. Towen got me thinking though. I wonder if you have to disable CEC on each input? I don't remember what input I was on when I checked it, so that may be a possible fix.

While technically superior, I have never noticed an improvement with lossless soundtracks in single-blind listening tests if also watching video. If i turn off the video and focus on listening i can usually hear a difference, but not when also watching video. I infer my brain cannot focus on interpreting video and audio detail simultaneously.

As such, I don't care about lossless soundtracks.

I never got into surround music listening. I tried and tried and have dozens of very well produces classical, jazz and rock albums mixed in surround, and really prefer stereo in every case. So, again, I fail to find any value in higher quality surround content.

I can avoid all the technical issues such as you are experiencing by not demanding lossless soundtracks and surround sound.

That' just me.

While technically superior, I have never noticed an improvement with lossless soundtracks in single-blind listening tests if also watching video. If i turn off the video and focus on listening i can usually hear a difference, but not when also watching video. I infer my brain cannot focus on interpreting video and audio detail simultaneously.

I never got into surround music listening. I tried and tried and have dozens of very well produces classical, jazz and rock albums mixed in surround, and really prefer stereo in every case. So, again, I fail to find any value in higher quality surround content.

I can avoid all the technical issues such as you are experiencing by not demanding lossless soundtracks and surround sound.

That' just me.
If I wasn't able to do DVD-Audio and SACD, that would not be the end of the world for me either. On the other hand, if I'm paying $25 for UHD Bluray, I want the best picture and sound that is available to me. And maybe it's all in my mind, but I do hear a difference in lossless soundtracks. They just seem to have more presence and are more natural sounding.

That' just me.

Having access to a higher quality source but not utilizing it is a mental hurdle that some of us hard a hard time getting over. I'm catching myself tripping over it too. Despite having only a 3.1 setup in my living room and only watching BDs in the living room like ones a year... I'm getting myself all twisted trying to figure out how to keep access to lossless audio instead of letting go and simplifying.

I feel like the world has flipped on its head. When I joined the online audio forum world I was preaching higher quality sources all the time, not I am arguing for only going that route if it is easy enough to accomplish. I am not against using the highest quality available to you, but for video I cannot for the life of me find a need for better audio. Get someone to conduct a blind test for you and see if you really can guess the soundtrack more than 66% or less than 33% of the time (that's what it takes to confirm an audible difference).

Ultimately, for me, especially with movies and TV, it is about experiencing the story. Having a surround system where there are great speakers that are well matched with identical tonalities, perfect gain, and delay adjustments, as well great room acoustics is a far higher priority than whether the soundtrack resolution is a 100 out of 100 versus 95 out of 100. Now, when it comes to stereo music, all bets are off and I want the best possible sound in my ideal listening room. For that I go to the original source disc, not even a ripped lossless copy - the original. Everywhere else I listen VBR or Lossless encoders are fine.

Once again our lives are made more complicated by "improvements". I'm so screwed once I get my new TV. Thinking more and more about dropping the whole multi ch nightmare.

I guess Atmos would be one reason why I'd want to keep the HDMI audio track.

I guess Atmos would be one reason why I'd want to keep the HDMI audio track.

But if you go with Atmos, then you'll be buying a new receiver or Pre/Pro which supports Atmos and all the new HDMI standards, so you'll be fine. My entire argument is that getting a new 4K TV shouldn't require a new receiver which will cut into your budget or force you to compromise while accomplishing the sole goal of support 4K HDMI.

I don't need the latest and greatest, and I'm not starting out from scratch, I just want to be able to hear the lossless formats that I upgraded my receiver years ago. Upgrading my tv shouldn't prohibit me from that. The Panasonic player that I replaced with the Sony, I had to have two HDMI outputs for that as well as the old tv was 3D, and my receiver wouldn't pass that signal either. But it worked. Video directly to the tv, audio to the receiver. And as far as blind test goes, I've got better things to do than that. Not sure why you are trying to convince us to go to a lesser format, but if I have the capability to play the lossless recordings, I'm going to do it. @Dentman Maybe it's my age, but this has been kind of painful process upgrading, and I wouldn't be if my tv hadn't broke. I'm kind of getting to the point in my life, where I just want things to work.

Oh, and I do blame you fuckers for part of this. Original plan WAS to upgrade the receiver, and just to use my Xbox One S for UHD playback, but no, some of you guys had to point out the good deal on the Sony player, which I thought would be easier than switching out a receiver and quite a bit cheaper. :moon::biggrin:

Yeah, it sucks. Playing with the CEC settings might help, as could changing the audio format on the ARC connection.

Still, why run any HDMI sources to the receiver? You could get audio from your BluRay player for high quality content and audio via Toslink from the TV for everything else. Use the TV as the HDMI switcher. I know that's a ton of changes and makes remote programming a new exercise, but it would work.

Back