• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How high is too high?

bmwuk

I am going to mount my 75" Sony to the wall using a Sanus BLT2 mount. Currently my TV sits on a stand and is basically eye level with the bottom about 22" off the floor. I wanted to raise it about 7" to accommodate equipment,etc. Is raising it 7" or perhaps slightly more (10") a bit much for viewing pleasure? Thoughts on this?

Wow the title to this post reminded me of a camping trip and some shrooms....I digress.

I would think raising it 7" is fine, 10" and you may be getting a bit high for ideal vieiwing. I'm not a video guy though. I'd put my screen on the ceiling if it meant better sound.

If you raise it higher, you might want to consider using a mount that will allow you to tilt the screen down toward the viewing position.

I think the rule of thumb for display height is (or was) you wanted eye level when seated to be about a third of the way up the screen. Personally, I'd not want it any higher than eye level at the bottom edge (which is why I always yell at the TV when I see the typical "TV over the hearth" position on HGTV).

I think you’ll be fine, I feel what you described is an acceptable range.

I think the rule of thumb for display height is (or was) you wanted eye level when seated to be about a third of the way up the screen. Personally, I'd not want it any higher than eye level at the bottom edge (which is why I always yell at the TV when I see the typical "TV over the hearth" position on HGTV).

I thought the same thing and I was convinced my display would be too high, but with my tilting mount and room being 24' long it is really not uncomfortable at all. I watch the damn thing all the time and have never suffered any type of discomfort that I can think of.

Would I prefer my display to be lower? Hell yes if it were possible.

Would I digress and go back to the old 36" CRT in the corner so I didn't have my display hanging too high above my fireplace? Hell NO!

I thought the same thing and I was convinced my display would be too high, but with my tilting mount and room being 24' long it is really not uncomfortable at all. I watch the damn thing all the time and have never suffered any type of discomfort that I can think of.

Would I prefer my display to be lower? Hell yes if it were possible.

Would I digress and go back to the old 36" CRT in the corner so I didn't have my display hanging too high above my fireplace? Hell NO!

Have you seen these?
61JzS06xsXL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IITPJT...t=&hvlocphy=9001899&hvtargid=pla-558517204752

I think the rule of thumb for display height is (or was) you wanted eye level when seated to be about a third of the way up the screen.

This is about right.

For practical and aesthetic reasons I mounted my living room set where the bottom edge of the image is 42”. That’s just 1” below eye level when seated in the viewing position. I would say that it's okay but if I'm honest I would prefer it if the set were mounted a little lower.

the distance from floor to bottom of TV is 46". Eye level when sitting on the couch. Tough to tell here but the mount is tilted and I've had no issues with the viewing. To right is the mantle. when we bought the house the cable input is there. I wasn't putting the TV on fireplace. Better view on the 2nd shot.

ODNSMXhNe2SiAN3GPFq_Nr5SbNvWNHZQDrDnRyvPpKuTMf55_LV8r3EICqOtVgE3S6O07EDvXOZDAN8bOouWELhJDTTQf8TThliItdzMy53baMLA1hJYbmloorU9KStJJ1T-7JdSYJnLHQMB8lHhCOtoFlMdxMDCfkVLSBZDuaGO507RqHLgp7GNogt5miwKUeniqG38UnKPtezGY3OJG96BRpNMpdTkGlPPjF44Ty1FoEv0s8S5C3fcX1PO7bXiBvewlXIuUNQTI1ighX0Aih7-kWHzw9h-d3XwhIp7sa3aj8kaFN41iucyo0VwznvTVa94SSKexpCdFtFrR70Cns6XjiJdDxAt0DGSb6Mhd0EeiSu147C4zPgjV3r_cr6gYTXcW5cW78WjM42sl1Yl7yyRwA2Dubsroy6h5cawQ9VL7RagxPkoLC4nz9xw2pCPaCSr1hnYuiMkqPsHFM3WM-nJc6A2XkhVheu77KkywnVoRLsA0HjDkc921U5KgM-XlcH-Vh8Bj1Vo31bJuv67OFUB3RmKKAfVFbmpPnPF36q8fjR_FYKV12fzvjDjAOvtP1-5xp8LWCz9aJqebe6DVlpTk6WDh6EFeulIMHiD=w1663-h935-no

C0ogfI00pPLvx89hInqAqNfHZ8L4jwzZg9hpwIbddG7jX4X3z95hynTxfKwQtU8wyIo7MX6cyr0vGOAwaI8Islg43t5RBpULyGx3BXCMiF8k0Y2gdj2QSa-s-2p3zGozux8ma-9hGkM_GlE-ZGw6NCKhUIlqCRVaDdZf3BZ_FeZ54DnlwiPPDUtrXE6W9Plkj5KUBOKUQ9VOwR0gF5JsdHK6-eF3jYPVRK2LlelNMNzOC0ByVdRaAPCeBK3pxyAXhi-39hCpWzsBsnxxvj6FvXmec16VNJeySp1ANL4cWIAc8MSs66SJu5FmPyc8h2MvIQ4vscraOT8qMGRiOcBkzUrxhrmpffAMuG1AFWPFOfQXooqHEaixWwhK5hUf7Ygo7NcauFYzAu3W682II9W5RlVfSLNKThqQMW2a4vBiW8mYYAWDvRbsftVrk9fErTVnGrCmuyaLOQkRCqVHxOOuREO3_CSrpJVIfpS7qc1pX5JHMqgwemlQklfYnxTe2eo1sgJjZlnO8iDZ-h1rjgEp1oqjoJErfBhAG7ruGtg9wc_8D_-wpEysiJSdkXyQuAZ-q7zPZmCLBShx7V6YqNLkfKzP4NMnAfE3FWtlJKJa=w1663-h935-no

Yes, I saw those and for the life of me cant remember why I thought it wouldn't work at the time. Maybe it was the weight of the plasma, I honestly don't remember. I know my buddy Scott (who helped me with the install) talked about it, but again I cant remember.

They are really cool though and if I redo it I would certainly consider it. I don't know if I am going to move the plasma downstairs and get another display for upstairs or buy a new 70 or 75 for the basement and replace the old Mits RPTV.

Just went back and looked and the weight limit is 60 lbs. I don't remember what my plasma weighs but it was definitely more than 60 lbs.

Just went back and looked and the weight limit is 60 lbs. I don't remember what my plasma weighs but it was definitely more than 60 lbs.

That's a downside to the plasmas... all that real glass drives the weight up.

Okay so let me see if this makes sense. The wood TV stand I have is 19.5" tall with the actual Sony Stand at 2.5" tall leading to the bottom of the TV currently at 22" from the floor. If the manufacturer specs are correct, the TV is 38.1" tall or the center point would be 19" from the bottom plus the stand plus the wood stand so a center point currently at 41" (19.5 + 2.5 + 19). The ideal viewing height is approximately 42" so I have a spare inch to give (okay, please avoid the jokes).

Now what I want to do is raise the TV to allow for a center channel to rest on the existing wood stand I have. The tallest center I'm looking at is 12" tall but some are only 8-10 inches. so that would lead to a maximum bottom TV height of 31.5". that means a lift of the existing TV height of 9.5". With the 1/3 rule i should be looking at 13 inches up from the bottom of TV vs 19" centered or 6" variance. So if I need 9.5" lift to account for the tallest center I might want, I may have it about 2.5" higher than ideal per your rule (9.5 - 6 - 1 (extra inch to give)).

I'm guessing with the tilt on my mount available, the extra 2.5" rise will be no issue.

Sounds like you’re fine. The critical factor is your eye-height when seated.

Yes, I saw those and for the life of me cant remember why I thought it wouldn't work at the time. Maybe it was the weight of the plasma, I honestly don't remember. I know my buddy Scott (who helped me with the install) talked about it, but again I cant remember.

They are really cool though and if I redo it I would certainly consider it. I don't know if I am going to move the plasma downstairs and get another display for upstairs or buy a new 70 or 75 for the basement and replace the old Mits RPTV.

I loved my 42" plasma but it was heavier than stuff now. My 75" is probably about the same weight if not less now

I'm guessing with the tilt on my mount available, the extra 2.5" rise will be no issue.

Even without the tilt I think you'd be fine. 2.5" on a 38" tall TV isn't all that much. Sounds like you'll be good to go.

Okay. I messed up on my measurements slightly. Let me try this again.

Stand height: 17"
TV Stand: 2.5"
Current bottom of TV 19.5"
Current Center of TV height (19.5 + 19" (half of the 38" TV height)) = 38.5"

Ideal viewing height = 42" - 38.5" = 3.5" to raise without issue

Scenario 1. Assume a 12 1/2 height center (tallest center channel I'm interested in)
Stand 17" + Center = 29.5" (assume 30")
Center of TV = 49"

Scenario 2 - Assume 9" Center (most others I see are 7.5 - 8.5")
Stand 17" + Center 9"= 26" (add extra inch for Auralex pads)
Center of TV = 44"

So what I'm debating is where to install now.

1. Scenario 1 at bottom of TV is 30"
2. Scenario 2 bottom of TV 27"

I can install scenario 2 now with understanding that I'm 1 year out on a new center and mains. So perhaps this is my answer.

Assuming a reasonable viewing distance I don’t think there’s a significant difference between options 1 and 2.

Back