• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Room layout, what to do?

bmwuk

Okay, let me try to post here because I am going to need help since the layout leaves one relection wall and one not. It is what it is for this house.

Here is a Pic of floor plan and the other is my temporary furniture and layout of front soundstage. I am hoping to get a more ideal situation of mounting tv and getting a narrower 2x2 cabinet with center on top so I can fit a sub possibly. However open to suggestions. Again once situated i will run new wires in-wall for rears.

Questions

1. Acoustic treatments for reflections? I have two minitraps from years ago. Mount behind speakers on front wall? Seems like one side wall yes but what about other void that goes into computer area?
2. Where to place sub? Haven't bought but suggestions welcome to placement and what to cover volume of room?
3. I have only openings. Not doors. Is this an issue?

Bookshelf I fixed to wall. Won't be moving because computer area has other itemsrps20170815_104622.jpg rps20170816_204205.jpg

Thanks. I know this crossed more than acoustics

Acoustic treatment for the speaker near the wall to help center the imaging. This will reduce the 1st point reflections. The speaker with no wall will not have the 1st reflections matching. So this will be a big help on your sound and room. Next would be the bass trap.

^Good advice.

I'd treat the wall directly behind the right front speaker as well as the wall to its right.

Thanks for the replies. I have been off the forum for a bit and now just seeing it. You all are confirming my thoughts. I have tow minitraps and i guess just get panels for right wall

^Good advice.

I'd treat the wall directly behind the right front speaker as well as the wall to its right.
Bump. I currently have two Real traps 2x4 behind each front speaker. Is there a benefit? What I'm learning is that I want to mount to tv to the wall and the panels eat up a good amount of my wall with the TV

Bump. I currently have two Real traps 2x4 behind each front speaker. Is there a benefit? What I'm learning is that I want to mount to tv to the wall and the panels eat up a good amount of my wall with the TV
Are these bass traps? I don't have any specific bass traps in my room, but I do have acoustic panels at the first reflection point of the speakers, and two mounted behind the front speakers, close to each corner. I think the front two behind the speakers do as much good as the first reflection points. Kind of keeps the front area more deadened, and less shrill.

No not bass traps. So then I'll keep those up there then just add ones to the right wall for first reflection. The left has no reflection to me

If it were me, I would want to make the right wall as acoustically controlled as possible to mirror the left side where the wall is far away. I would put thick panels (2" to 4" thick) across that wall, floor to ceiling to minimize the reflections as much as possible. I would keep the panels behind the speakers.

Next, I would put as much diffusion style junk on the walls back in the listening seating area as possible (all three walls). Stuff like shelves packed and covered with random knick-knacks, deep complex 3D wall art, statues, or even proper diffusor panels. This will quell the cave-like echo-chamber affect of having all those walls so close to the listener's head.

On the ceiling at the first reflection points I would mount 2" thick absorption panels and directly over the listening position I'd put proper diffusor panels.

As for bass traps, I'd like to see a measured bass performance with the subwoofer before making any assumptions. Bass traps can be extremely impactful in improving the dynamics and realism of bass from speakers, but to be effective they need to be large and tend to consume lots of room volume. As such, a knowing if just targeted tuned panel traps (like the Ethan Winer DIY traps or RPG Modex traps) which address a specific range of frequencies or broadband traps (like Super Chunk DIY or hanging vinyl covered fiberglass panels) would be better.

I like what you've said but may not get to do floor to ceiling on right wall. I can get away with 48" high so at ear level and I can even do a ceiling for first reflection( I think) . The back wall is actually partial wall on one side or the other with a large window in the middle. So not sure I can do anything except on either side . Either side have floating shelves that were hung by previous owner. Not sure a lot of weight can go on themrps20180117_161107.jpg

There are always options, but I covered everything that could be done within reason for a household setup (without it looking like a recording studio). You could put very heavy insulated velvet curtains in front of the window when listening, that would be better than a bare window or a light shade or curtain. The weight of items on the shelves doesn't matter, what matters is that all the acoustic waves moving toward the walls are deflected, diffused, and mixed up rather than being allowed to merely reflect like a mirror back into the room. those Star Trek helmets are perfect examples of what works well - add more!

On the right side wall between the speakers and the listening position, thoroughly cover the first reflection points with the thickest fiberglass or foam absorbers you can manage to fit and afford. The more area covered, the better. Basically, you have zero boundary affect on one side (left side) and near 100% boundary effect on the other side (right side). That will make for an unbalanced sound where the right ear will feel that everything is heavier towards the right and muddier on the right. Anything you can to do reduce that effect, the better.

Did you say Star Trek on purpose? Ha ha. I ask because my wife does that on purpose, trying to get a rise out of me.

Thanks and I believe my first step is indeed the right wall. Then I'll do the others bit by bit

Few catch that stuff when I do it. Good job.
I say this affectionately....jerk. Ha ha.

I looked at the ceiling and I have two semi recessed lights but more than 4 feet apart so I'll mount 2 2x4 panels perpendicular to the tv side by side. As for the wall on the right, I think one panel will be my start

I was looking at a vendor that was reasonable in price but offered there 2x4 panels in 1 and 2 inch thickness. The NRC was 1.15 on the 2 inch and 1.0 on one inch. For WAF the 1 inch on the walls would be better but if 2 inch is far better results then I'll go that way. The same for the ceiling. Thoughts? Vendor is acoustimac

Forgive my ignorance in advance. I like the vendor and ordered the sample colors to see what works best on the walls and ceiling

2" is superior and I consider it the minimum for this type of application in enclosed home spaces. Even better to get 4" , but I know most find the size unacceptable.

Still awaiting color samples. For hanging from the ceiling, do the ceiling hooks without hitting a ceiling stud work or will they just crash down? What will work best for hanging from ceiling?

Still awaiting color samples. For hanging from the ceiling, do the ceiling hooks without hitting a ceiling stud work or will they just crash down? What will work best for hanging from ceiling?

I find that if you get a few strips of wood, in the 1" x 2" dimension, and mount them securely to the beams across your ceiling (paint them to match the ceiling), you can then install simple wood screw hooks into them to hang the panel. It can also reduce the number of holes in the drywall by doing it this way.

Back