• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Universal Remote

Any idea if I can purchase two Hubs and place one with my main system and one with my bedroom system and walk between both and use 1 remote (and/or smartphone) at either location?
Going to have to look into that.

A remote can only be paired with one Hub, which is an annoying limitation that is going to force me to run an IR emitter from the Hub in my main system and the cabinet for my secondary system. I'm doing that now with my kitchen setup via a pair of the old Radio Shack repeater pyramids.

Good luck guys! I’d be interested to hear about your experience with it.
Up and running in my bedroom. Toshiba tv, denon receiver, DirecTV box, PS4 Amazon Echo. Working pretty well so far. Minor complaints, haven't been able to get the Echo connected, I enabled the skill and connected it to the hub, but Alexa doesn't know what I'm talking about. I'll me with it more tomorrow. I'm sure that will clear up. Other issue is the size of the buttons (especially the #s). Like Trump hands small. And no backlight. Other than that, for $50, really happy. Great recommend. I might possibly purchase another for my main system..but well have to do some comparison shopping for backlighting and larger buttons.

Oh, one other thing. I really like how solid the remote feels. Not like a cheap piece of plastic.

It's only been a few hours and I know I got my money's worth.

I have two Harmony One's and am glad they are still chugging along.

In reading the posts here and different things it does not seem to me that Logitech has a remote that improves on the One so am glad mine are still working fine. It makes one wonder why they no longer make that model.

... haven't been able to get the Echo connected, I enabled the skill and connected it to the hub, but Alexa doesn't know what I'm talking about. I'll me with it more tomorrow. I'm sure that will clear up.

That happened to me too. I forget what I had to do to get it working. I think I had to go back into the Harmony app and enable something in there. I'll try to remember when I get home tonight.

Other issue is the size of the buttons (especially the #s). Like Trump hands small. And no backlight.

The only Harmony remotes that work with the Hub and have back lighting are the Elite and Ultimate. Neither are inexpensive

Hope your right. Now if the computer could stop doing updates and actually turn on I might get somewhere.

Nah. You're going to be pleasantly surprised by how easy and effortless it is.
Until he has to go back for the umpteenth time to get things just right. Probably the biggest problem you will have programming Jack, is sometimes things respond a little too much or not enough when pressing a button, and you may have to go back in and tell it to send the signal more or less. Nice thing about Logitech is they tend to walk you through things. I had to use different software when I was programming the 650 versus what I used when programming the One, and I liked the old software better, but that could just be because I was more used to it. Another nice thing about logitech, is that if you get a different remote, you can port your old settings into the new remote, although sometimes custom button mapping doesn't port over with it.

Harmony remotes are pretty easy until you start trying to use them for multi-zone. Then they are a PITA.

Well that was easy, but the remote is useless for me. It won't control the receiver volume while using Roku device. Everything else works pretty well. Oh well I'll be shipping it back.

Well that was easy, but the remote is useless for me. It won't control the receiver volume while using Roku device. Everything else works pretty well. Oh well I'll be shipping it back.
Can't you program it to do that?

Can't you program it to do that?
I did a manual program of the volume buttons and it accepted it but it's not working. The whole Roku interface is kinda shity really. It should be that when I hit the watch tv button it should let me control the Roku but it doesn't work that way. It sets all the inputs and power info correctly but I have to then choose Roku to have control over it. Not so bad but it could be better.

On second thought I may just keep it and switch back to watch tv to control the volume. I guess that's better then having 4 remotes out.

really? I have both a Roku 3 and a 650, never had such a problem...

Jack, it should control the volume, although you may have to map it in the activity. Basically, there are two pages on setup screen, one for devices, and one for activities. You first setup the devices, and then you create activities using those devices. So for setting up the activity to watch the Roku, you would add your tv, receiver, and roku to the device section. Then you would setup an activity to watch Roku or whatever you want to call it. Under the activity you tell it which tv to use, your receiver controls the volume, etc. And it's under the activity that if you go to the volume buttons on the programming, I think there should be three drop down boxes under in a row, and in the middle box, it should say the receiver is controlling the volume.

I did a manual program of the volume buttons and it accepted it but it's not working. The whole Roku interface is kinda shity really. It should be that when I hit the watch tv button it should let me control the Roku but it doesn't work that way. It sets all the inputs and power info correctly but I have to then choose Roku to have control over it. Not so bad but it could be better.

On second thought I may just keep it and switch back to watch tv to control the volume. I guess that's better then having 4 remotes out.

Logitech’s default behavior for “watch TV is for the remote to control the TV itself. When I set mine up I wanted the ”watch TV” activity to control the Roku. However it defaulted to controlling the TV and I had to reprogram the buttons to control Roku by using the Logitech app. It was a little tedious but there are so few buttons for Roku that it wasnt too bad.

I also had to be sure to add my receiver as the volume control for all activities.

... haven't been able to get the Echo connected, I enabled the skill and connected it to the hub, but Alexa doesn't know what I'm talking about. I'll me with it more tomorrow. I'm sure that will clear up.

Okay
What’s not clear is that when you’re setting up the Alexa/Harmony link you’re actually creating a “scene” which Alexa triggers.

Go into you Alexa app’s Smart Home setting
Select Scenes
There should be an scene with the name you used when you enabled the skill and inked your Harmony and Alexa accounts
I did it twice so I have two scenes, TV and Television (the Bedtime scene is for my light switches)
Make sure the skill is enabled
Use the command “Alexa Turn on (insert whatever you named your scene here).

475863EB-04EB-43C1-92F6-ED9C19E96642.jpeg

804864BB-4B12-40E9-AF2C-361D8928D641.jpeg

thanks to towen bought mine yetserday. got to love amazon one day when it works!

now, if i can program my kid to allow me to get 1 hour breaks from watching him.

huh. come to think of it, i AM playing overwarch.

You can specify which device controls the volume during setup.

Roku boxes tend to be slightly wonky with non-Roku remotes. I've found this to be consistently true across multiple remotes.

Jack, it should control the volume, although you may have to map it in the activity. Basically, there are two pages on setup screen, one for devices, and one for activities. You first setup the devices, and then you create activities using those devices. So for setting up the activity to watch the Roku, you would add your tv, receiver, and roku to the device section. Then you would setup an activity to watch Roku or whatever you want to call it. Under the activity you tell it which tv to use, your receiver controls the volume, etc. And it's under the activity that if you go to the volume buttons on the programming, I think there should be three drop down boxes under in a row, and in the middle box, it should say the receiver is controlling the volume.
Thanks Huey, but I did all that. It was actually very simple. All my "activities" function perfectly except the Ruko interface. Even going into adding commands and doing the volume was easy, it just doesn't work. I can live with it but there's no way I could ever expect my wife to be able to do it.

Back