• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Universal Remote

Logitech’s default behavior for “watch TV is for the remote to control the TV itself. When I set mine up I wanted the ”watch TV” activity to control the Roku. However it defaulted to controlling the TV and I had to reprogram the buttons to control Roku by using the Logitech app. It was a little tedious but there are so few buttons for Roku that it wasnt too bad.

I also had to be sure to add my receiver as the volume control for all activities.
Did all that Towen, but it's not working. It accepted the manually entered commands but no good.
Very strange, but in the end it's just one extra button push, back and fourth for volume control.

Something isn’t set correctly. If the remote can control the volume correctly in one activity then it can do it in any. Play around with it more. Also, the fact that you manually assigned the volume buttons throw up a red flag - those should’ve been in the database for your AVR.

Edit: If there are volume buttons on the Roku remote that can be programmed, pretend those don’t exist when setting up the Logitech; use the commands from the actual device (AVR or TV).

Something isn’t set correctly. If the remote can control the volume correctly in one activity then it can do it in any. Play around with it more. Also, the fact that you manually assigned the volume buttons throw up a red flag - those should’ve been in the database for your AVR.

Edit: If there are volume buttons on the Roku remote that can be programmed, pretend those don’t exist when setting up the Logitech; use the commands from the actual device (AVR or TV).
Yes I used the receivers volume buttons, not the Roku remotes. I'm thinking the problem is related to the fact that the Roku remote doesn't really control tv volume, it's only for the headphones on the older models. My new Stick+ can actually control the TV volume.

This lack of volume control on my older Roku 3 might play into why it's the only device in my actions set up menu that doesn't ask me what device I want the volume to adjust on. However I don't understand why it won't work after manualy adding the receivers volume function to it. Strange

Yes I used the receivers volume buttons, not the Roku remotes. I'm thinking the problem is related to the fact that the Roku remote doesn't really control tv volume, it's only for the headphones on the older models. My new Stick+ can actually control the TV volume.

This lack of volume control on my older Roku 3 might play into why it's the only device in my actions set up menu that doesn't ask me what device I want the volume to adjust on. However I don't understand why it won't work after manualy adding the receivers volume function to it. Strange

Are you saying that when you setup the activity with your Roku, it's not even giving you a choice of what device to use to control the volume? It sounds like you should have three choices; AVR, TV, or Roku.

Are you saying that when you setup the activity with your Roku, it's not even giving you a choice of what device to use to control the volume? It sounds like you should have three choices; AVR, TV, or Roku.
Exactly, it the only device in which it doesn't ask me.

Just to be clear, you should be setting up a new activity named something like 'Watch Roku.' That activity should contain three devices: AVR, TV, and the Roku. As you step through the setup it should ask you which device controls the volume and you should select AVR. You shouldn't have to manually program any buttons, they should be in the database.

Just to be clear, you should be setting up a new activity named something like 'Watch Roku.' That activity should contain three devices: AVR, TV, and the Roku. As you step through the setup it should ask you which device controls the volume and you should select AVR. You shouldn't have to manually program any buttons, they should be in the database.
Went through it twice today, deleting the first Roku activity. I'll try again tomorrow. I appreciate the help, thanks.

Before setting up the activity again, go to the Roku device and un-assign the volume buttons.
Ok.
Here's more food for thought. I just tried setting up the universal remote option for my tv remote. Set it up with the receiver as the control unit and every Roku function and receiver function works perfectly except the volume control which defaults to the tv's volume. I don't even get that with the Harmony.

Self fulfilling prophecy. You went into this expecting it to be difficult.

I have successfully controlled systems with both the Roku 3 and Roku Ultra using a Harmony remote. The only problem I had was that sometimes the remote lags or stops working for a minute or so for now reason. I've had this issue with every aftermarket remote I've tried with the Roku and that was a contributing factor in my switch to the NVidia Shield (I also had a lot of HDCP issues with the Roku Ultra).

darn it had to pack up the damn remote and returning it to amazon.

not because it didnt work for me, it was missing pieces. the seals there, but on the side of the box, it was clearly ripped open, and 'used' so to speak.

the remote was even on its back telling me im screwed.

will wait for replacement, and give y'all a holla when i need help.

thanks everyone!

darn it had to pack up the damn remote and returning it to amazon.

not because it didnt work for me, it was missing pieces. the seals there, but on the side of the box, it was clearly ripped open, and 'used' so to speak.

the remote was even on its back telling me im screwed.

will wait for replacement, and give y'all a holla when i need help.

thanks everyone!
That sucks!

Jack, there's an option to review the settings for an activity. Not sitting in front of right now, but at the activities screen, one of the options you can pick on an activity, should take you to a trouble shooting screen, and one of the options is to review the setup. When you click that, it should say the receiver is controlling the volume, if it doesn't you have something setup wrong in the activity.

I can almost guarantee that something is not setup correctly in the Roku activity. You'll get it, just might take a little playing around with it, but I know your frustration. At this point in life, I don't want to tweak, I don't want to fiddle, I just want things to work, and work like they should.

Okay
What’s not clear is that when you’re setting up the Alexa/Harmony link you’re actually creating a “scene” which Alexa triggers.

Go into you Alexa app’s Smart Home setting
Select Scenes
There should be an scene with the name you used when you enabled the skill and inked your Harmony and Alexa accounts
I did it twice so I have two scenes, TV and Television (the Bedtime scene is for my light switches)
Make sure the skill is enabled
Use the command “Alexa Turn on (insert whatever you named your scene here).

View attachment 7572

View attachment 7571
Tried this out and working like a charm.
This will be great for when we misplace the remote and turning on/off the TV in the morning/at bedtime.
Really really pleased with this. Thanks for the help.

New line of questioning...
2 hubs, 2 locations...1 Alexa app, 2 different Alexas (1 close to BR TV, 1 close to Main system).
I guess the scene names need to be different? Otherwise I'll be by the Alexa by the main system and say "Alexa turn on TV" and it will
turn on the TV in my bedroom?

Jack, there's an option to review the settings for an activity. Not sitting in front of right now, but at the activities screen, one of the options you can pick on an activity, should take you to a trouble shooting screen, and one of the options is to review the setup. When you click that, it should say the receiver is controlling the volume, if it doesn't you have something setup wrong in the activity.

I can almost guarantee that something is not setup correctly in the Roku activity. You'll get it, just might take a little playing around with it, but I know your frustration. At this point in life, I don't want to tweak, I don't want to fiddle, I just want things to work, and work like they should.
Thanks, I'll do that and take some screen shots.

Attachments

• rps20180316_103409.jpg
    rps20180316_103409.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 13
I really can't see the pic, too small for my old eyes.

I think the problem may be due to using the "Watch TV" category. I initially set up my Roku under "Watch a Movie" (changed it to "Watch Roku" after setup)

Also make sure you have the correct inputs selected on the setup.

Back