• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?

I'm assuming Stellan is the lead actor? He's always been good in whatever he has been in.

Monday was a holiday here. Wife said we needed to see this. Sad, shameful part of our Canadian history. I cried.
MV5BODY4Y2NkOTYtOTk4Ni00NWU3LTk2ODEtNmY1NzlkMjIzZjg1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM0NTU5Mg@@._V1_.jpg

In Order of Disappearance

The Hollywood remake Cold Pursuit w/Liam Neeson was unremarkable. But the original with Stellan Skarsgard and Bruno Ganz was excellent I thought. Violent, campy, darkly humorous. It's on Amazon Prime and I think also Netflix.

Trailer...
Started watching this last night, but I fell asleep, which is no indication of the movie, just that I didn't get a good nights sleep the night before. First, what I did see of it, this movie looks stunning. Something about the crispness of the snow, it just looks gorgeous. I watched it on Netflix, and it was overdubbed, while the trailer was subtitled. The overdubbing was distracting at times, but I guess so would subtitles. It looks very interesting and I will finish it when I have time.

john_wick_3_poster.jpg

John Wick 3 Parabellum

Proof that John Wick is the lost Kryptonian.

If you like 1 & 2 you will like 3 , pretty much more of the same but if possible even more violent. I actually had moments of boredom, when a fight scene runs almost 10 minutes it is just repetition that could be made with a loop. That may be due to the fact that I watched 1 & 2 the day before just overkill I guess.

SPOILER

By all appearances there will be a 4

Last edited:
Started watching this last night, but I fell asleep, which is no indication of the movie, just that I didn't get a good nights sleep the night before. First, what I did see of it, this movie looks stunning. Something about the crispness of the snow, it just looks gorgeous. I watched it on Netflix, and it was overdubbed, while the trailer was subtitled. The overdubbing was distracting at times, but I guess so would subtitles. It looks very interesting and I will finish it when I have time.

I hear you I often fall asleep five minutes into a movie after a mega work day. I found the soundtrack to be occasionally very dynamic which (for example) the rumbling of the big snow plow and a lot of ominous background tones. But sometimes this is lost with dubbing as I find this can sometimes squash dynamics. Let me know what you think when you finish watching.

Will do @Hot Monkey That's what I was hearing, sometimes when they were talking the sound of the whole scene changed. Looking forward to finishing it.

Will do @Hot Monkey That's what I was hearing, sometimes when they were talking the sound of the whole scene changed. Looking forward to finishing it.

The best (or worst) example of this I have heard is with the original US release of Mad Max. The US theatrical and initial laser disc and DVD releases all featured clumsy dubbed dialogue. It's actually all the same actors speaking on the dubbed track (Mel Gibson, etc.) just with some vocal coaching to tame their Aussie accents. I guess they thought that US audiences might have trouble with thick accents. As a result the overall soundtrack is super squashed and terrible. I still loved that movie since the first time I saw it but when I finally heard the restored original soundtrack many years later it was like a whole new viewing experience. The voices were of course ten times more authentic but the whole soundtrack was also transformed with much more dynamic music and sound effects. If you are a fan of this old flick I highly recommend seeking out the restored version.

This is reason number 345,097,312 that I hate dubbed movies.

Look for this on the back of the DVD...

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 2.28.48 PM.png

Last edited:
The best (or worst) example of this I have heard is with the original US release of Mad Max. The US theatrical and initial laser disc and DVD releases all featured clumsy dubbed dialogue. It's actually all the same actors speaking on the dubbed track (Mel Gibson, etc.) just with some vocal coaching to tame their Aussie accents. I guess they thought that US audiences might have trouble with thick accents. As a result the overall soundtrack is super squashed and terrible. I still loved that movie since the first time I saw it but when I finally heard the restored original soundtrack many years later it was like a whole new viewing experience. The voices were of course ten times more authentic but the whole soundtrack was also transformed with much more dynamic music and sound effects. If you are a fan of this old flick I highly recommend seeking out the restored version.

This is reason number 345,097,312 that I hate dubbed movies.

Look for this on the back of the DVD...

View attachment 9301
I've only seen bits and pieces of the movie, but wondered why the voices sounded so off in the movie. Didn't realize that had to overdub it.

Watched Close last night. Never heard anything about it but liked Noomi Rapace in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Promethius. Without giving anything away, the ending didn't seem to fit or maybe I just didn't get it.

glad you enjoyed it. fun to see movies like these are still around.

Try out Black 47,

where an agent is asked to find an irishman and bring him to justice. his name is not neo.
81qqFzSqDpL._RI_SX300_.jpg

Thanks for this recommendation this movie seems to have flown totally under the radar. I thought every performance was solid from the leads to sleeper supporting performances from Jim Broadbent and especially Stephen Rea. The (seemingly friendly but in reality brutal in your face criticism) bar room banter from Rea to Broadbent was lethal. Loved it. Probably my favorite part of the movie.

Watched Close last night. Never heard anything about it but liked Noomi Rapace in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Promethius. Without giving anything away, the ending didn't seem to fit or maybe I just didn't get it.

Agreed I watched a while ago. I generally like Noomi Rapace in most things and thought this character had promise but the movie fell apart and I lost interest.

Thanks for this recommendation this movie seems to have flown totally under the radar. I thought every performance was solid from the leads to sleeper supporting performances from Jim Broadbent and especially Stephen Rea. The (seemingly friendly but in reality brutal in your face criticism) bar room banter from Rea to Broadbent was lethal. Loved it. Probably my favorite part of the movie.

sucks, i dont remember that part. was it in the beginning? middle? end? gotta rewatch this one.

Agreed I watched a while ago. I generally like Noomi Rapace in most things and thought this character had promise but the movie fell apart and I lost interest.

i love noomi rapace as well, but they seem to capitalize on the fact that she does a lot of sex scenes, which takes away from her potential. close was er... close. but it also shows shes still young in the game. she cant seem to handle emotional scenes without a shaky cigarette in hand showing shes nervous, sad, angry etc.

she also reminds me of another underestimated and underused actress... gina carano...she cant do hard stuff, but cant show emotion too well, nor can capitalize on what she can do until its too late.

who i believe would fit well as a female constantine.

images

Jomari it's when the group hunting for the outlaw main character are all sitting down in the pub. Rea and Broadbent are telling jokes over drinks. The conversation starts with jokes but Rea's commentary gets pretty serious if not subversive and uncomfortable. To me it's the defining commentary of the film in that it encapsulates the quiet but passionate dissent that the Irish were feeling towards the English lords and ruling class.

Edit: I just saw a review online which called this movie a potato western (as opposed to spaghetti western) which I thought was pretty amusing (and accurate).

Last edited:
Jomari it's when the group hunting for the outlaw main character are all sitting down in the pub. Rea and Broadbent are telling jokes over drinks. The conversation starts with jokes but Rea's commentary gets pretty serious if not subversive and uncomfortable. To me it's the defining commentary of the film in that it encapsulates the quiet but passionate dissent that the Irish were feeling towards the English lords and ruling class.

Edit: I just saw a review online which called this movie a potato western (as opposed to spaghetti western) which I thought was pretty amusing (and accurate).

ah yes, towards the end of the movie. when they are nestled in a spot talking about that irish woman versus a 'proper' english one?

ENEMY.jpg

Watched Enemy with Jake Gyllenhaal this weekend mostly because I have enjoyed most of director Dennis Villeneuve's other films (Sicario, Arrival, Prisoners). Effectively creepy music and cinematography. Gyllenhaal's performance(s) were not terrible. But the whole mystery doppelganger concept never really got off the ground or anywhere close to a meaningful conclusion at least not for me. And the alternate reality and/or hallucinations felt very forced and desperately David Cronenberg. My hunch is that the book this was based on just didn't translate to screen effectively. Nightcrawler was a much better Gyllenhaal watch IMO.

I watched Avengers Infinity War yesterday. For a number of reasons - both explicable and inexplicable - I thought it was meh at best. To me it just seemed like they were trying too hard to outdo their previous movies. Anyway, it's my least favorite of the three I've seen.

Just started Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and it's already off to a much better start than Infinity War.

Back