• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

4K TV is real... who's getting one first?

Bats, I follow your logic and agree with it 100%. My 70" comment refers to the traditional TV world. For example, if I'm looking for a display for my living room, I would probably go 1080p for anything under 70". Or, probably worded more correctly, I would be willing to pay a smaller premium for 4k on a display under 70".

BTW, have you seen any good 4k projectors?

John

yromj said:
Bats, I follow your logic and agree with it 100%. My 70" comment refers to the traditional TV world. For example, if I'm looking for a display for my living room, I would probably go 1080p for anything under 70". Or, probably worded more correctly, I would be willing to pay a smaller premium for 4k on a display under 70".

John

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9618

yromj said:

John
If I weren't coming from the angle of not having better displays than the one used my theater, I'd say anything 55-60" range and larger. So essentially I'm in agreement with you.

Last time I saw 4K projector in action was at CEDIA with Tee when Sony debuted their first 4K model.....I've yet to see one since, and frankly, I'm not interested until street prices get to the $10-12k range in which case I'd expect to able to get my hands on one in the $5-7k range +/-. Hopefully by then, the availability of 4K content has increased substantially.

I started noticing dust in my RPTV mechanism awhile ago. This weekend, I noticed my first stuck mirror (thankfully, it is black and not white). I will definitely have to replace my set sometime next year.

Well got the set on the wall and am watching as we speak, and I have to say, it's pretty f$&king impressive. Not sure how much more actual resolution I am getting but man do the colors pop and blacks are BLACK.
Just watching OTA tv for now but will really put the set through its paces this coming weekend.
I paid $2,500 for this set and as of right now deem it well worth the cost of admission. :)

My first stuck mirror showed up a couple weeks ago. Now I have three more. My set is dying. This makes me sad, because i really wanted to hold out awhile longer. I think I am going to have to give up on my dream of a 75+ inch screen and focus my efforts on getting another 65 inch class set with HDR, HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, etc. I do not want to buy something that is already obsolete. I also cannot afford to spend $5000+ right now. This puts me in a bit of a conundrum. I am currently looking at the Samsung UN65JS8500, which can be had for about $2500, but am reluctant to pull the trigger on anything until after CES.

I'm past worrying about what the next big thing is, I buy what I like and enjoy it. The way tech rolls out nowadays it's next to impossible to keep up anyways.

I could be dead tomorrow and then I never would have known the absolute joy of having a kickass 75" tv. Lol

walls said:
I could be dead tomorrow and then I never would have known the absolute joy of having a kickass 75" tv.
I think this has more importance than most know. Live while you can because you just don't know what's around the corner.

Zing said:
walls said:
I could be dead tomorrow and then I never would have known the absolute joy of having a kickass 75" tv.
I think this has more importance than most know. Live while you can because you just don't know what's around the corner.

Indeed. At some point waiting for what's next is pointless. There's ALWAYS a next big thing. I realize I'm younger than many others here, but I'm still getting close to 40 and it's been that way my entire life (increasingly so ever since HDTV made its appearance). Better to sometimes say "aw, screw it" and get something you'll enjoy. The only real exception might be if there was a feature you *knew* you were going to want (say, a receiver that's compatible with some format you know you want to use).

If my theater TV (Mitsubishi DLP RPTV) bit the big one I'd just go ahead and swap it with a 4K flat panel without a moment's hesitation other than making sure I was getting the best performance for the price I wanted to spend. I sure wouldn't waste time waiting on the OLED (which has been in the wings for nearly forever at this point, it seems).

Now for the big question...

Does a 4K display look better than a HD display, or is all the hype just hype?

Flint said:

When fed a rare 4K signal, IMO, yes. It's certainly no worse. Granted, the set our 4K replaced a year ago wasn't that high end a display (a 720p LG plasma with a really mediocre scaler), but then, I'm not aware of anybody arguing Vizio makes high end stuff either. When given a HD signal, it looks good. I'm not sure if it's any sharper than a 1080p, but it did look better than the previous one. When streaming 4K Netflix content it's absolutely phenomenal.

I expect that my next set will look a ton better, because of a whole list of technology improvements. It is not just about the resolution.

Not really too sure about the overall resolution because my set is "upscaling" 1080p material, I mean it's sharp as a tack but so was the 70" Samsung it replaced. Where I personally notice a big difference is in the amount of color and the overall depth of the picture.
Fwiw I compared this set side by side, as best I could, with the cheaper Vizio and IMHO the Vizios pic was softer and didn't have the same color pop or depth for lack of a better word. And I messed with the ssame things on both for over an hour.

Flint said:

I would say yes indeed. When I first got my set I would notice things that I wasn't even looking for. Things like razor stubble on an actors face, the amount of divots on a football field, blood veins under skin, etc.

Some of those things are because of better/more refined clarity but some of it is because of better color representation.

I had to get used to it.

Deacon said:
Flint said:

I would say yes indeed. When I first got my set I would notice things that I wasn't even looking for. Things like razor stubble on an actors face, the amount of divots on a football field, blood veins under skin, etc.

Some of those things are because of better/more refined clarity but some of it is because of better color representation.

I had to get used to it.
And I would have to say the opposite. The local Best Buy had two sets side-by-side, one 4K and the other HD, same brand/size but obviously different models. From 8' I couldn't see a difference, but I could when about 24" away from the displays.
Two caveats: I probably was noticing sharpness but not color, and my eyes are going, so YMMV.
I'll still go with a flat-panel OLED if my current TV (47" LG LED with matrix, not edge-lit, backlighting) goes tango-uniform. But, right now, I'm still very happy with my nearly 6-year-old set. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Botch said:
Deacon said:
Flint said:

I had to get used to it.
And I would have to say the opposite. The local Best Buy had two sets side-by-side, one 4K and the other HD, same brand/size but obviously different models. From 8' I couldn't see a difference, but I could when about 24" away from the displays.
Two caveats: I probably was noticing sharpness but not color, and my eyes are going, so YMMV.
I'll still go with a flat-panel OLED if my current TV (47" LG LED with matrix, not edge-lit, backlighting) goes tango-uniform. But, right now, I'm still very happy with my nearly 6-year-old set. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

And of course I'm talking about looking at a display over the last 6 months that has been calibrated and set up in a light controlled basement. You're talking about a display that you stood in front of for 5 minutes in a well lit showroom.

Sets in the store that are utilizing 4K content look amazing, not sure how anyone can't see it.

Deacon said:
And of course I'm talking about looking at a display over the last 6 months that has been calibrated and set up in a light controlled basement. You're talking about a display that you stood in front of for 5 minutes in a well lit showroom.
True that.

I would't mind getting a 4K TV. Best Buy has a 55" 4K 3D TV that looked amazing. I only have a few 3D movies but I wouldn't mind having that option for every once in awhile.
Now. Can any of you explain the following exchange between myself and my wife? This conversation occurred the first week of November.
Wife: Honey, is $999 a good price for a 55" 4K TV?
Me: Yes. Thats a very good price
Wife: Well they have this Samsung that goes on sale Nov. 12 at BJ's. You might want to get in line in order to buy it.
Me: OK.
The week goes by and my wife goes to a conference in San Antonio. I text her regarding the TV. We currently have a 40" Samsung LED in an AV cabinet that only holds a 40" TV max.
Me: Remember when you told me about the 55" Samsung for $999? You are aware that I would have to buy a new TV stand when I get it.
Wife: Yes.
Me: OK
Wife: We really shouldn't be spending the money for a new TV and a stand. We need to buy a new fence.
Was I just seriously cock-blocked by my wife?

Back