• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

4K TV is real... who's getting one first?

garypf said:
I would't mind getting a 4K TV. Best Buy has a 55" 4K 3D TV that looked amazing. I only have a few 3D movies but I wouldn't mind having that option for every once in awhile.
Now. Can any of you explain the following exchange between myself and my wife? This conversation occurred the first week of November.
Wife: Honey, is $999 a good price for a 55" 4K TV?
Me: Yes. Thats a very good price
Wife: Well they have this Samsung that goes on sale Nov. 12 at BJ's. You might want to get in line in order to buy it.
Me: OK.
The week goes by and my wife goes to a conference in San Antonio. I text her regarding the TV. We currently have a 40" Samsung LED in an AV cabinet that only holds a 40" TV max.
Me: Remember when you told me about the 55" Samsung for $999? You are aware that I would have to buy a new TV stand when I get it.
Wife: Yes.
Me: OK
Wife: We really shouldn't be spending the money for a new TV and a stand. We need to buy a new fence.
Was I just seriously cock-blocked by my wife?

That's okay. My wife thinks I'm off my nut for wanting a 75" set.

garypf said:
I would't mind getting a 4K TV. Best Buy has a 55" 4K 3D TV that looked amazing. I only have a few 3D movies but I wouldn't mind having that option for every once in awhile.
Now. Can any of you explain the following exchange between myself and my wife? This conversation occurred the first week of November.
Wife: Honey, is $999 a good price for a 55" 4K TV?
Me: Yes. Thats a very good price
Wife: Well they have this Samsung that goes on sale Nov. 12 at BJ's. You might want to get in line in order to buy it.
Me: OK.
The week goes by and my wife goes to a conference in San Antonio. I text her regarding the TV. We currently have a 40" Samsung LED in an AV cabinet that only holds a 40" TV max.
Me: Remember when you told me about the 55" Samsung for $999? You are aware that I would have to buy a new TV stand when I get it.
Wife: Yes.
Me: OK
Wife: We really shouldn't be spending the money for a new TV and a stand. We need to buy a new fence.
Was I just seriously cock-blocked by my wife?

you were fenced off. :teasing-tease:

moral of the story, when she brings up buying a tv bit the pillow and just get it while she 'remembers' the conversation. :happy-smileygiantred:

recently bought my dad in law their new 55 tv, its 4K UHD (im not certain about the 4k part), since it was at Costco and less than 1k. not bad, but then again they're using a SD signal so dad said it wasn't as 'pretty'...

anyways, it was definitely a nice set. id love to get one too, but I still have a pj and my flippin plain jane 60 incher (theirs is a smart hub tv)...

jomari said:
recently bought my dad in law their new 55 tv, its 4K UHD (im not certain about the 4k part), since it was at Costco and less than 1k. not bad, but then again they're using a SD signal so dad said it wasn't as 'pretty'...

While I suspect most 4K sets have better scalers than you find in most regular HD sets (since they have to scale everything that's not native 4K there's a bigger need to have a good scaler), when all you work with is SD you're still rolling the dice.

I would argue that the resolution being higher makes scalars less critical. For.every pixel in a SD signal, there are 16+ pixels available on a 4K screen, making simple antialiasing and interpolation DSP functions more than sufficient.

So, SD will look better than ever on a 4K set with a relatively rudimentary scalar. The same concept applies to HD where a 1:4 ratio of pixels applies.

Add to that the fact that the DSP functions for good.scalars have been commoditized and cutting edge scaling tech is built into entry level video chips, and you've got the makings of great visuals with modern 4K sets.

I just spent some time looking at TV sets last night and the processing and scaling does matter. The LG OLED sets look a little better with 4k content, but the Sony sets destroy them on upscaled content, due to much better processing. I cannot wait to see what Sony does with LG OLED panels in upcoming set releases. It should be sick, though probably out of my reach in the time frame I have to buy a set in.

I took a good look at the XBR75X850C, which is currently the front runner in my selection process. It does not have the level of low light detail you get with a Full Array Local Dimming display, but it has very respectable blacks (better than my current set), excellent color accuracy and saturation and little to no problems with light bleed that I saw with the Samsung sets. For roughly $3000 (on sale), it is by far the best big set out there anywhere near that price. We'll see if CES changes that.

My argument on scaling is specifically addressing the issue of lower res content on a 4K display versus an HD TV or even SD TV.

From what I understand, the quality of the image processing in terms of color, contrast, enhancements, and such, is MUCH more crucial to perceived quality than basic scaling - not that scaling quality isn't important, it just isn't the biggest bottleneck to performance like it was for the early HDTVs.

Flint said:
My argument on scaling is specifically addressing the issue of lower res content on a 4K display versus an HD TV or even SD TV.

From what I understand, the quality of the image processing in terms of color, contrast, enhancements, and such, is MUCH more crucial to perceived quality than basic scaling - not that scaling quality isn't important, it just isn't the biggest bottleneck to performance like it was for the early HDTVs.

When I'm talking about processing, I'm not limiting my comments to simply scaling resolution. A lot of the material we watch these days is streamed and therefore highly compressed. Sony applies some pretty sophisticated processing to enhance contrast and color gamut in addition to scaling resolution. It makes a pretty clear difference when comparing their sets to others panels of similar quality and less sophisticated electronics behind them.

I know Netflix is recoding all of their content to use a new tech which looks better over narrower bandwidth popes. I need to look up those article.

rwYAO74.png

:happy-smileygiantred:

Flint said:
I would argue that the resolution being higher makes scalars less critical. For.every pixel in a SD signal, there are 16+ pixels available on a 4K screen, making simple antialiasing and interpolation DSP functions more than sufficient.

So, SD will look better than ever on a 4K set with a relatively rudimentary scalar. The same concept applies to HD where a 1:4 ratio of pixels applies.

Add to that the fact that the DSP functions for good.scalars have been commoditized and cutting edge scaling tech is built into entry level video chips, and you've got the makings of great visuals with modern 4K sets.

That could well be, especially the last part about how good DSP is dirt cheap now. I just got used to lower end HDTVs being pretty decent on HD sources (since the panels were often bought from the same sources as better brands) but the SD content looked like crap due to the el cheapo processing chips. Technology moves on. Funny, that.

Flint said:
I know Netflix is recoding all of their content to use a new tech which looks better over narrower bandwidth popes. I need to look up those article.

What, now we need to consider THEOLOGY too? Sheesh, this stuff is getting far too advanced for its own good.

Back