• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

4K TV is real... who's getting one first?

i was at stanford today at the sony store, first time i saw a 25k tv. beautiful, but i was constantly staring at the 50 inch 4k tv. it was absolutely stunning. i cant see myself buying a tv for 5 grand, but man, i wanted that 50 $1400 tv.

anyways, its amazing. i also saw a vizio via walmart, and yes, you definitely can see it. can i see a difference with a 1080 source? i dunno yet, but i sure hope so...

Today I was at the ITU HQ in Geneva where they had a room full of UHDTVs in a demo/display suite all showing the most amazing content. The ITU and other Standards Definition Organizations (SDOs), and I now work for an SDO, are investigating the broadcast and distribution standards for UHDTV (4K) which is not an.easy task. Add HDR to the kid and the network providers and carriers are scared senseless at how they can afford to build networks to support UHDTV for their customers.

That said, the demo was amazing and I.wont buy a new TV until I can get one with UHDTV and HDR. The image was as 3D as you can get.

Well, I'm waiting to see what Vizio's new lineup coming in a month or so. My refurbed Marantz SR5009 won't pass through the HDR etc but they hope the newer blueray players will have dual HDMI outputs. But I will try to use streaming most of the time.

I am targeting December 2016 for buying a new TV. I do not want to wait longer, but I do not think it makes sense to pull the trigger sooner either. My Samsung will be 9.5 years old at that point, so I won't feel like I didn't get my money's worth out of it. Ideally, I want my main display to last around a decade and that is why I think timing the technology is so important.

I just set up my Samsung 50" SUHD JS7000 . Watched some Netflix Longmire last night. Will be trying some blurays soon. Not going to pay extra for the Netflix 4K stuff yet. So far I'm liking the HDMI/ARC connection with my SR5009 which also has HDMI/ARC......and your right Haywood, now I get 5.1 audio.
Samsung stated that they will update all their 2015 UHD & SUHD sets to the new 4K standard that was finally set when they displayed their new 4K Bluray player in Germany.
We'll see if Samsung will keep their word.

Bought my dad this Sony 4k Ultra HD model. Back in July not for the picture so much as for the speakers.
The simpler the better for him, so no soundbar. Too bad the assisted living place he's living in has such crappy cable, and he can't upgrade.

On the other hand it's good thing, he can't get any adult channels there, that would be a disaster.
I guess he likes the sound, as he has it cranked to at least the 80-90 level every time I go over there.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-cla ... Id=2639095

My brother bought one of those Sonys a while back too. I was a little confused... seems to me that the extra one is paying for the built in speakers would buy a perfectly respectable standalone sound system.

I'm nowhere near first, but it is SOOOOOO tempting to be next. I see some 50" Samsung 4K at Costco for < $900.

Have. To. Resist.

Well I went and did it, picked up a 75" Samsung from SAMs. It's going to replace an older 60" Samsung, hoping it looks fantastic.

What's the smallest size you all deem 4k to be worth it? For me I would put it at 70" or so. Of course the added color depth is also a benefit and I get that, too. So maybe I'm a little high on the size but that's where I am.

John

yromj said:
What's the smallest size you all deem 4k to be worth it? For me I would put it at 70" or so. Of course the added color depth is also a benefit and I get that, too. So maybe I'm a little high on the size but that's where I am.

John
I personally place the threshold at 100". For a bunch of reasons....I understand the improvement in color accuracy, depth, etc. But the main reason for me is that I actively avoid upgrades outside of the theater to NOT give myself the opportunity not to use it. It's a big investment so to find reasons not to use it and improve it seems silly to me. Outside of the theater, having a picture and sound that one would deem better than the TVs internal speakers is sufficient.

Back