• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

8K TV already?

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I just had a long conference call for my trip to CES where the topic of the new TVs turned into a extensive conversation. Apparently LG is going to be showing a 85" OLED 8K TV at the show and they will be shipping by the middle of 2018. Japan's broadcasting regulator has already written a standard for 8K broadcasting and China has several companies who have been demonstrating 8K at CES for a couple of years.

So, I once asked the question "Who's first to get a 4K TV?" and I was mocked in the responses for suggesting everyone's current 1080p TV was more than good enough and was given all the scientific reasons not to go to 4K. Then most of you moved to 4K and are praising how amazing they look.

Now I ask, who's going to be first to buy an 8K TV?

8K. Well, I was probably the first (if not, close to it) to get a 4K here, so I'll refrain from saying "8K? Who needs it?"

But I get the feeling it will take some time for the prices to get down to what I'd feel reasonable. The law of diminishing returns is biting down pretty hard as it is. 4K does look great, but I don't think it's the same jump that we saw from SD to HD.

At this point what’s the difference if it’s the only thing out there when I buy my next TV.....I can say I’m done upgrading just for the hell of it.

Assuming that money will be tight as it always is when I’m ready to replace any TVs, I’ll do what I always do and look for the best value. That’s usually a set with tech that is one feature “behind”. For example my most recent TV purchase is a 4K set but it lacks HDR.

It figures just having just bought the 4k OLED. I can easily imagine that it is possible I won't be buying another TV ever unless the new one takes a crap.

Last edited:
I expect a TV to last a good ten years, which is about the time it takes for a generation of technology to cycle. Content limits the speed at which new stuff can roll out. UHD content has barely made a dent. Hell, there is still content out there that is only available on DVD. There is no danger of 8K going mainstream any time soon, because the content providers are nowhere near ready for it.

I haven't been an early adopter for a long time. I plan to keep it that way. It just seems like trying to keep up with tech these days is the ultimate exercise in futility.

I enjoy my current systems and have no plans to change or update anything other than the display downstairs. When I do I will simply get whatever seems to be the best bargain within the budget I set and then proceed to double when I actually make the purchase. LOL.

I expect a TV to last a good ten years, which is about the time it takes for a generation of technology to cycle. Content limits the speed at which new stuff can roll out. UHD content has barely made a dent. Hell, there is still content out there that is only available on DVD. There is no danger of 8K going mainstream any time soon, because the content providers are nowhere near ready for it.

I cant disagree but I expect that the shift to streaming media will accelerate exponentially making distribution and adoption much faster than has been the case in the past.

Man I'm behind the times, still rocking my 40" 720 Panny plasma.

It may be 55" I just don't remember and not home to measure it.

I cant disagree but I expect that the shift to streaming media will accelerate exponentially making distribution and adoption much faster than has been the case in the past.

True, but that will be allowed by bandwidth constraints and things like the cost of constantly remastering content.

True, but that will be allowed by bandwidth constraints and things like the cost of constantly remastering content.

I get it. I’m just saying that it won’t take as long to make the next thing a real thing.

You're right that compared to the total content market that 4K availability is very low but ... almost every set over 50” is a 4K one. Most of us here have 4K sets or will with our next purchase.

Bandwidth availability is also increasing at a faster pace and so is streaming tech. The fastest speed I can get now is 45Mbps and I stream 4K just fine. But 1Gb FTTP service is literally around the corner.

It might be worth accepting the idea that 8K is coming and we should just accept it and plan for it. While strolling the aisles at CES 2018 I saw dozens of companies demonstrating 8K products to the masses. I assume that regardless of the potential benefits, it will become the standard in the not too distant future. There are benefits for everyone, such as improved rendering of high resolution images based on amazing scaling tech which can accommodate greater perceived resolution. Though, assuming full HDR is in place, it offers little over 4K for normal screen sizes and viewing distances, it seems to be the future. Now we just need which companies will make the most of the technology to improve our regular viewing habits.

Well, I'm still not buying another TV for at least 7-8 years after dropping $6k on this one. I suspect a lot of other folks will feel the same way, having just upgraded to 4K. I'm not saying that 8K won't be the next "thing," just that they will need to make content backward compatible if they want people to pay for it.

Well, I'm still not buying another TV for at least 7-8 years after dropping $6k on this one. I suspect a lot of other folks will feel the same way, having just upgraded to 4K. I'm not saying that 8K won't be the next "thing," just that they will need to make content backward compatible if they want people to pay for it.

Holy Cow, I cant imagine dropping that kind of coin on a display. Again, another reason I have not been an early adopter for many years. I am fine for now without 4K. I was having a talk with a buddy of mine last night and he was telling me how cool it was, but I don't see me doing it anytime soon.

Unless I win the SuperMegaPowerLotto soon.

I spent about 4 grand by the time it was all said and done when I upgraded to the Panny plasma upstairs, but that included a new receiver, all new speaker wire, a new mantle for the fireplace, and plaster work. This is my primary display and if I made the jump to 4K now that would render the Panny virtually useless. I guess I could stuff it downstairs.

Back