• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A Poll With a Purpose

Do You Own an SPL Meter?

• Yes

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DIYer

Famous
Zing said:
What is that purpose you ask? You'll see.
Wait a minute Zing, would you sign your name on purchase agreement form before knowing what kind of car and how much it costs? :roll:

Zing

Retired Admin
Famous
Botch said:
Apparently, it was to embarrass the one schmuck who doesn't have one...
Nice going.

Truthfully, I have a spare SPL meter and if I found "one schmuck who doesn't have one", I was going to send it to him as a gift since they're such an invaluable tool. But since this POS software doesn't allow me to see who voted for what, I can't ask who it was because you may have just embarrassed him into hiding.

Flint

"Do you know who I am?"
Superstar
Oh, I own three, and several other devices which provide the same capability.

I tried an app on my smart phone for measuring SPL, turned out to be wildly inaccurate.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!
Superstar
Zing said:
Botch said:
Apparently, it was to embarrass the one schmuck who doesn't have one...
Nice going.

Truthfully, I have a spare SPL meter and if I found "one schmuck who doesn't have one", I was going to send it to him as a gift since they're such an invaluable tool. But since this POS software doesn't allow me to see who voted for what, I can't ask who it was because you may have just embarrassed him into hiding.
You didn't notice my "embarrassed" icon... ;)
I don't have one, and appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't use it. I've already got music software that'd do the same thing, and a laptop in a day or two, but I'm the kinda guy who moves things around until it sounds good, plus my Yammie receiver has an equalization function anyway.

Hopefully there will be another w/o...

yromj

Botch said:
...plus my Yammie receiver has an equalization function anyway...
I can tell you from a great deal of experience w/ this that the built in programs don't do as good a job as a person can do w/ an SPL meter. The music software may be able to do it for you, though. If not, I can't stress to you how easy it is to make a noticeable improvement in your systm.

John

Rope

Famous
yromj said:
Botch said:
...plus my Yammie receiver has an equalization function anyway...
I can tell you from a great deal of experience w/ this that the built in programs don't do as good a job as a person can do w/ an SPL meter. The music software may be able to do it for you, though. If not, I can't stress to you how easy it is to make a noticeable improvement in your systm.

John
WORD!

YPAO will get it close, not dead on nuts. SPL meters with full range pink noise will be a bullseye.

Rope

Towen7

Staff member
WORD ?!?!

I thought we were supposed to turn the clocks back one hour. Not the calendars back to 1990.

Doghart

For some reason I can't submit a vote in any of these POLL threads.

When I select the button next to the option and click SUBMIT, it says my choice is invalid.

Anywhooo, I own 1 real SPL meter and also a phone app which works ok.

D

Alien

Guys like SoundHound and Flint probably don't even need them anymore except to check how good their listening still works.