• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Acoustics, What Acoustics?

MakeMineVinyl

This type of room is depressingly common in supposedly ultra high end installations - a blasted echo chamber! Ugh...

53_2-580x326.jpg

53_3-580x326.jpg

How are these clowns supposed to be able to discern such things as how many veils have been lifted from the soundstage?

I love it when they discuss the extremely nuanced aspects of "depth" and "resolution" when describing what they hear in rooms like that. HA!

Deft use of brass statuettes on floor between speakers as sound diffusers.

I probably would have gone with one less arm on the chandelier - obviously there will be issues as is.

I also think my ass would get all sweaty on the faux-fur seats - greatly affecting the room's bass response.

I'd recommend increasing the speaker toe-in - to something like facing each other. Move the chairs up between them (in place of the brass pieces) and voila! You've eliminated most room effects.

Geez, I should do this for a living!

Jeff

Well my room sucks so I aint throwin no stones and I have never been able to hear the lifting of veils so...

Randy, You need to pay the lady to wear the seven veils, dancing in the middle of your speakers and removing said veils. Only then you might hear the difference, Oh but try not to be too distracted.

I just saw a post on a FB high end audio group where the poster said he addressed acoustic issues in his room and the "after" photo is of a black leather sofa be placed between his main speakers. The rest of the room is open and reflective with absolutely zero treatment or design elements which might help with the sound. In his post he states, "We all know that a cluttered room is really bad for acoustics, so this is what I did..." In fact, a cluttered room can be extremely good for acoustics - like super duper good if the clutter is in the right places.

As I participate in FB and other online groups, I am finding that the ignorant audiophools tend to be the loudest and most active users spewing stupidity, but they are not the majority or even most well spoken.

Here's an example of a proper Audiophile who not only owns insanely expensive electronics and speakers, but also spends significantly on the best type of room acoustics for their room.

50557937_2375701225991530_3001303376710336512_n.jpg

As I participate in FB and other online groups, I am finding that the ignorant audiophools tend to be the loudest and most active users spewing stupidity, but they are not the majority or even most well spoken.

Here's an example of a proper Audiophile who not only owns insanely expensive electronics and speakers, but also spends significantly on the best type of room acoustics for their room.

View attachment 8708

I see the Mini Split Air Conditioner is place strategically to eliminate the null at 512.682 Hz..........................

If I were guessing, based on the diffusors on the front wall, the speakers are about 12 feet apart and since he camera is clearly very wide angle (you can see the bowing of the lines at the top and bottom of the image) I am guessing the photo was taken between 14 and 16 feet away, which isn't so bad for the size of the room.

That said, I do prefer to be closer to my speakers unless they are line arrays or huge planar speakers.

If I were guessing, based on the diffusors on the front wall, the speakers are about 12 feet apart and since he camera is clearly very wide angle (you can see the bowing of the lines at the top and bottom of the image) I am guessing the photo was taken between 14 and 16 feet away, which isn't so bad for the size of the room.

That said, I do prefer to be closer to my speakers unless they are line arrays or huge planar speakers.

I take that back, i thought the diffusors were 24 inches wide, but looking at the amps I am instead thinking they are 18 inches wide, in which case the speakers are likely around 9 feet apart and the photo was taken about 10 to 13 feet away.

This is called "barrel distortion".

Thanks.... I will try like hell to remember that, but chances are I will be pointing out the "bowing lines" next time I talk about evidence of a wide angle lens being used. I don't talk about that stuff enough to remember all them purdy words and shit.

Aren't you the one who once commented that most people don't sit far enough away from their speakers?
I dont recall saying that, but maybe. With that said I still think it's not unreasonable to sit at the very least in the same township as your speakers.

I take that back, i thought the diffusors were 24 inches wide, but looking at the amps I am instead thinking they are 18 inches wide, in which case the speakers are likely around 9 feet apart and the photo was taken about 10 to 13 feet away.
I think you were closer on the first guess. That looks to be a 12 feet by 8 feet area rug, which would put the room at about 16 feet wide. I'm just surprised nobody has mentioned the air conditioner. That thing is going to be noisy in what looks to be a well treated room.

Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the amps on the floor look. Especially front and center.

In a rack, as invisible as possible- aesthetics only.

I think you were closer on the first guess. That looks to be a 12 feet by 8 feet area rug, which would put the room at about 16 feet wide. I'm just surprised nobody has mentioned the air conditioner. That thing is going to be noisy in what looks to be a well treated room.

I see the Mini Split Air Conditioner is place strategically to eliminate the null at 512.682 Hz..........................

Heeman got it several posts back.

Back