• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another Blow to Netflix

Rope said:
I find it difficult to find any movies worth steaming from Netflix.

Rope

If all you are interested in is popular movies from the last 6 months I would agree but if you are open there are tons of things. I have over 200 items in my Instant que and at times the difficult decision is trying to make a selection from all the offerings.

Of course I would love more current offerings and feel the loss of Starz content in March may be the biggest blow so far. And I have been very vocal about what I feel are bad decisions by NF, but let's face it - for streaming only it is $8/month or 27 cents a day. To use a popular analogy for the cost of things - you can't even get a cheap convenient store cup of coffee for that much less a Starbucks coffee.

I also feel we are again viewing the situation as a group of people that are in many respects "early adapters" . Streaming is certainly growing but compared to the number of people with TV's and disc players that do no streaming it is small. We pay close attention because we utilize it and these things effect us. I know several people that have disc players capable of streaming and do the NF disc thing but have no interest in streaming (mainly due to a fear of "new tech" I think) I did set up streaming for 2 friends in the last year - one uses it every day the other maybe 2-3 times a month.

Real competition is the key - all the others offering streaming still don't come close to what NF offers. If there is no serious competition NF can do what ever they want.

I have a hunch that Starz and Netflix may get this sorted out before March. I think it's kind of like Fox and Dish or Lifetime and Dish (although I wish that one wouldn't have gotten resolved). Both sides are seeing what the reactions are going to be and then act accordingly. Maybe if enough people voice their disappointments, Netflix will be able to cough up a little more money. Conversely, if all of us don't run out and subscribe to Starz (which Dish had a 1 year free deal with), then maybe Starz will realize that Netflix offers them a good revenue source.

John

mzpro5 said:
Rope said:
I find it difficult to find any movies worth steaming from Netflix.

Rope

If all you are interested in is popular movies from the last 6 months I would agree but if you are open there are tons of things. I have over 200 items in my Instant que and at times the difficult decision is trying to make a selection from all the offerings.

Of course I would love more current offerings and feel the loss of Starz content in March may be the biggest blow so far. And I have been very vocal about what I feel are bad decisions by NF, but let's face it - for streaming only it is $8/month or 27 cents a day. To use a popular analogy for the cost of things - you can't even get a cheap convenient store cup of coffee for that much less a Starbucks coffee.

I also feel we are again viewing the situation as a group of people that are in many respects "early adapters" . Streaming is certainly growing but compared to the number of people with TV's and disc players that do no streaming it is small. We pay close attention because we utilize it and these things effect us. I know several people that have disc players capable of streaming and do the NF disc thing but have no interest in streaming (mainly due to a fear of "new tech" I think) I did set up streaming for 2 friends in the last year - one uses it every day the other maybe 2-3 times a month.

Real competition is the key - all the others offering streaming still don't come close to what NF offers. If there is no serious competition NF can do what ever they want.

Considering my cable channel (Encore, AMC, FX, Spike, FMC, Universal HD, TBS, TNT) line up, there's not a whole lot that Netflix streams that I haven't saw, or will be seeing.

Rope

Rope said:
mzpro5 said:
Considering my cable channel (Encore, AMC, FX, Spike, FMC, Universal HD, TBS, TNT) line up, there's not a whole lot that Netflix streams that I haven't saw, or will be seeing.

Rope

Well we can respectfully disagree, though I think you may need to widen your horizons a bit.

mzpro5 said:
Rope said:
mzpro5 said:

Rope

Well we can respectfully disagree, though I think you may need to widen your horizons a bit.

duly noted, I'll get right on it.

Rope

Netflix's value, IMHO, is not that they offer anything new or unique. The value is the convenience of not having to set the DVR and/or FF and skip through commercials. And that it's all under one interface. I also like to just surf NF and watch a few minutes of something I may never stumble on and certainly wouldn't bother DVR'ing (is it okay to use DVR as a verb?).

I'm convinced that once the cable operators figure-out how to offer unlimited on-line access to the content that a customer is already paying for by subscribing to their channel... and more importantly how to monetize i... that NF will no longer be of any value.

Towen7 said:
Netflix's value, IMHO, is not that they offer anything new or unique. The value is the convenience of not having to set the DVR and/or FF and skip through commercials. And that it's all under one interface. I also like to just surf NF and watch a few minutes of something I may never stumble on and certainly wouldn't bother DVR'ing (is it okay to use DVR as a verb?).

I'm convinced that once the cable operators figure-out how to offer unlimited on-line access to the content that a customer is already paying for by subscribing to their channel... and more importantly how to monetize i... that NF will no longer be of any value.

Interesting point here Towen, and something i think that at&t has already tried to do with some of their on demand channels. not a vast amount available, but hey, its a start. i dont have it, but my cousins do so im not sure nowadays. if it would justify the cost of cable (which i think everyone has their opinions on), then so be it. Netflix can have competition. Its a matter of how to publicize it and make it available. now of course, is the perfect time to offer such services.

Netfrix.com

I just cancelled, I can use the $8 a month to rent new movies. I usually only used it once or twice a month at most.

Towen7 said:

A couple things - I think the UI on the Roku does a lot to enhance the NF experience. Unlike disc players I have experienced with NF that usually only show what one has put in their que the Roku is set up very similar to the NF website showing different genres, suggestions based on your viewing and a nice search function. They movies shown periodically change allowing you to get a flavor of things you may have never heard of.

And NF has a very large collection of foreign films, especially Asian. Of course if you are adverse to subtitles and new cultures it won't not matter.\

And I really like their selection of documentaries.

I believe the need for a single source of content will fade over time as the content owners will eventually be able to sell it directly to the user. Imagine a "TV Guide" like product which can help you find whatever you want directly from Paramount, Sony, Universal Studios, Disney, HBO, ABC, etc.

My issue is. I have pretty much used up netflix. We use it a lot. And I went to watch something tonight and nothing struck my fancy. So I paid $6 to watch Stakeland on Vudu. Picture and sound were waaay better than netflix could ever dream.

Flint said:
I believe the need for a single source of content will fade over time as the content owners will eventually be able to sell it directly to the user. Imagine a "TV Guide" like product which can help you find whatever you want directly from Paramount, Sony, Universal Studios, Disney, HBO, ABC, etc.

I see the same thing happening.

Flint said:
Imagine a "TV Guide" like product which can help you find whatever you want directly from Paramount, Sony, Universal Studios, Disney, HBO, ABC, etc.

Sounds a lot like what GoogleTV (and Boxee) was supposed to be. That is of course what will be needed once the content is available. I'm sure we'll get there but not quite yet.

Back