• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another Blow to Netflix

Reed Hasting's email attempting to explain what has happened, reminds me of a 4 year old who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar justifying his actions by claiming it wasn't him/her. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Rope

Towen7 said:

At first I really hated this idea. That was my initial reaction, anyway. Amazon is so big already, and it would reduce competition (assuming this results in the loss of Amazon VOD movies as part of Prime subscriptions). But now I'm sitting here mulling what would be best for me, personally. Might would it be OK in the end? Maybe Amazon could negotiate for more and better streaming content? And Amazon typically has good prices. (Though, so does Walmart and yet Vudu still wants $6.00 to stream new movies in 1080p.)

Probably doesn't matter. This makes for a nice story, but Netflix probably thinks they can still succeed on their own. But maybe someday if they falter, then a sale could be in order. We'll see.

^^^ There's the nail in the coffin for me. If I had any thoughts about returning to Netflix, Dish just removed them from me.

I've not seen their product yet but I think they have the right idea in that you get streaming content so long as you are a paid subscriber to the regular stuff.

Well here is an interesting prediction

Netflix is 'broken' with no fix in sight, analyst says

"If we are unable to repair the damage to our brand and reverse negative subscriber growth, our business, results of operations, including cash flows, and financial condition will continue to be adversely affected," Netflix said.

Shareholders seem to have little faith in Netflix's ability to repair itself. Over the past six months, the company's stock is down 75 percent. As of this writing, Netflix is trading at $65.86, and Pachter believes it could hit $45 per share within the next year."

mzpro5 said:

"If we are unable to repair the damage to our brand and reverse negative subscriber growth, our business, results of operations, including cash flows, and financial condition will continue to be adversely affected," Netflix said.

Shareholders seem to have little faith in Netflix's ability to repair itself. Over the past six months, the company's stock is down 75 percent. As of this writing, Netflix is trading at $65.86, and Pachter believes it could hit $45 per share within the next year."
Walmart shares aren't much higher..around $57........doesn't seem to slow them down..

Barney said:
mzpro5 said:

Walmart shares aren't much higher..around $57........doesn't seem to slow them down..

Yeah Barn but just this past July Netflix was close to $300/share.

I have a feeling we will see a management change in the near future with Netflix. What they need to do, is go back to there old model.

mzpro5 said:
Barney said:
mzpro5 said:

Yeah Barn but just this past July Netflix was close to $300/share.
Mzpro....if Netflex's shares were $300 a share, why can't they afford to stream the new/latest movies ? Netflex doesn't have to invest in thousands of mega stores..(understand, Walmart also has very large dist warehouses)..where was the money going then ?

Barney said:
Yeah Barn but just this past July Netflix was close to $300/share.[/quote]
Mzpro....if Netflex's shares were $300 a share, why can't they afford to stream the new/latest movies ? Netflex doesn't have to invest in thousands of mega stores..(understand, Walmart also has very large dist warehouses)..where was the money going then ?[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content acquisition especially for streaming. The studios had seen the success of NF and have been charging a lot more for content. It is becoming very expensive.

And it is not NF that determines if new releases will be available but the studios/distributors. If they can make money off disc sales they won't let NF stream them.

Amazon streams new releases but charges per film for only a day or two, not unlimited, and were able to work out contracts with the studios .

Got an email this morning from Netflix wanting me back. I would think that they would at least offer an incentive to come back, but nope, it's the same price that they lost over a million subscribers over. At one time, they were a great company, but the arrogance there is mind boggling.

Huey you should email back saying, "Not till you go back to the old formula Bitches".

I read the other day that Reed Hastings "compensation" is going to be cut in half for 2012. Instead of $3,000,000 in stock options, he only gets $1,500,000. Problem is, Netflix stock is roughly only 25% of what it was at the high of 2011. So if the stock price goes up, he stands to gain even more than before. I bet he is loving the take over talk that is going on now, raising it's stock price $8 alone yesterday.

Now HBO won't sell to Netflix. Doesn't sound like it is the end of the world, but it does seem to be the beginning of an exodus of suppliers for Netflix. Reed Hastings to lose his job in 3, 2,....

Link!

Huey said:
Now HBO won't sell to Netflix. Doesn't sound like it is the end of the world, but it does seem to be the beginning of an exodus of suppliers for Netflix. Reed Hastings to lose his job in 3, 2,....

Link!

As the article says HBO never sold NF material to be streamed so no big deal to me.

And I think HBO is kidding themselves if they think I'm going to pay an extra $12-15/month just to watch one or two shows a week. Their movie selection sucks IMO as do all the so called "premium" channels.

Between NF streaming and my local rental place I have all the options I need.

I cancelled my netflix disc subscription yesterday. And, an amusing coincidence (?), later in the day redbox sent me a promo code for a free rental. :laughing:

mzpro5 said:
Huey said:

Link!

As the article says HBO never sold NF material to be streamed so no big deal to me.

And I think HBO is kidding themselves if they think I'm going to pay an extra $12-15/month just to watch one or two shows a week. Their movie selection sucks IMO as do all the so called "premium" channels.

Between NF streaming and my local rental place I have all the options I need.

I agree, but I guess my point being, that Netflix is loosing support of the people that it is going to need going forward. If the studios bail, I don't see how Netflix will survive, and it seems the numbers are growing that want to see that happen to them.

well, this statement says it all:
"We believe in exclusivity," HBO spokesman Jeff Cusson said.
I've said screw all the program provider...Time Warner (which owns HBO ?) D*, E*....they have all just outpriced themselves.
I also bet a bunch of times that each of ya'll that pay a provider have seen notices from your provider & your local channels that there is a dispute with what the provider wants to pay for services. About the same thing here.
HBO, Sony, Walt Disney, etc want each of us to pay more...they want "exclusivity"....well, I can live without HBO etc.....I can't even begin to scratch the surface of streaming movies now.

Exclusivity is fine. I've got no issue with HBO, Warner Bros., etc. wanting exclusive content and to own the customer experience. What I need though is an aggregator to make it easy to find what I want to watch amount all the available sources. That was what I thought GoogleTV and Boxee would be.

I don't want to have to access and search each app to find content; Netflix, HBO Go, Sho Go, NBC, Hulu... I need something that can search every "channel" that I subscribe to and search it all for me. Essentially a channel guide for streaming content.

Back