• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another Good Place to Buy UV Codes

Haywood

Famous
New Age Flix has over 400 codes available. Most are UV. Some are iTunes or Vudu. Pretty much all of them specify SD or HD. HD titles run $5.99. That's a buck more than my two other sources, but these guys have a much deeper catalog. I just placed my first order for five titles (Wrath of the Titans, Hugo, The Adventures of Tintin, Flags of our Fathers and Ice Age: Continental Drift). I will let you know when I get my fulfillment e-mail. It seems that these guys must use a manual system like Family Video rather than an automated one like UV Swap, as my codes did not arrive minutes after order submission. I expect I will get my codes tomorrow.

http://newageflix.com/Home.aspx

I have had a couple of purchase experiences with them. There were two issues, both of which were quickly resolved. In one case, Vudu mistakenly applied the code as an SD copy and I had to work with Vudu tech support. The folks at New Age Flix helped me out with images of the paperwork so I could do that. The second issue was when their website malfunctioned. My order was submitted multiple times and I did not get a code. I contacted them by e-mail and had a response in less than half an hour with the code and a promise that the money for the duplicate orders would be credited back to my account in full by tomorrow. In short, they are definitely legitimate, reliable and offer good service when things go wrong.

The availability of cheap HD UltraViolet codes is allowing me to really expand my collection very inexpensively. These are all movies that I've bought for $3.50 to $6 (most were $5).

Red 2
Turbo
The Wolverine
Taken
Tintin
Hugo
Wrath of the Titans
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Flags of Our Fathers
World's End
2 Guns
We're the Millers
Man of Steel
Burt Wonderstone
Broken City
R.I.P.D
The Internship
Pacific Rim
The Place Beyond the Pines
The Croods
This is 40
World War Z
Taken 2
Rise of the Guardians
Flight
Gangster Squad
The Man with the Iron Fists
Savages
Side Effects
Oblivion
Zero Dark Thirty
Star Trek: Into Darkness
The Great Gatsby
Silver Linings Playbook
Prometheus
Life of Pi
The Guilt Trip
Epic
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Admission
Bourne Legacy
Django Unchained
Death Race 3
Beautiful Creatures
A Good Day to Die Hard
42: The Jackie Robinson Story
Les Miserables
Jack and the Giant Slayer
The Hobbit
Escape from Planet Earth
Cloud Atlas
Argo
GI Joe: Retaliation
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

This is a dumb question, but what player can you use to watch these? I have a couple from buying discs and when I registered them I think I determined that I had not device that handles them.

AndySTL said:
This is a dumb question, but what player can you use to watch these? I have a couple from buying discs and when I registered them I think I determined that I had not device that handles them.

UV is supported directly by the studios, but you access the movies through one of several resellers. The best is probably Vudu, but there's also Cinema Now, Flixter and M-Go. Vudu is supported by the most devices (PS3, XBox 360, Roku, Android tablets) and also has a very nice web interface that works well on iPad and most computers. There are also a lot of Blu-Ray players and smart TV's that have Vudu built in. M-Go recently struck a deal with Roku and their service is baked into the main menu now (though I still prefer to use Vudu via the Vudu Channel).

Picture quality is marginally inferior to Blu-Ray, but is better than anything else I have seen other than Blu-Ray. For a typical movie, you are streaming what amounts to a 7-8GB file vs 25-35GB for an actual Blu-Ray. Sound quality is Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 for most movies, because lossless audio would substantially increase the bandwidth requirements. If it is a movie that I absolutely love and want the last degree of perfection, I'll buy the Blu-Ray. The beautiful thing is that I can buy the movie for $5 now and then pick up the Blu-Ray a year or so later after the price drops by half or more.

Once purchased, are these movies stored on a HDD in your network, or do you stream them from Vudu like you would anything else?

Yesfan70 said:
Once purchased, are these movies stored on a HDD in your network, or do you stream them from Vudu like you would anything else?

You can stream them from any UV reseller linked to your account. My account is linked to Vudu, M-Go and Flixter, so I can watch my movies through any of the three. I mainly use Vudu, because they are the most widely supported and have the fewest issues. I also own a few non-UV titles directly through Vudu, mostly Disney Digital Copy Plus films (you can sometimes score those codes on the sites I use as well as UV codes).

Vudu is offering a killer disc-to-digital deal through January 20th that lets you buy an HDX (1080p) copy of any eligible movie that you own on DVD for $2.50 (the price is normally $5). I've got about another hundred movies to go and I'll be done converting every eligible movie I have by then. I expect to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 420 movies in my UV locker when I'm done.

I love Vudu and haven't bought a full priced Bluray in over six months because I can buy it online for around 5.00 each just bought Fast and Furious 6, Red 2 and Dispicable Me 2 today for 15.00. I love the fact I have converted almost all of my regular DVD's for 2.50/ ea using disc to digital ( no more buying full priced Blurays to upgrade). Just this past Thanksgiving I upgraded 30 DVD's my mother and sister had which I didn't and stored it in my account. 30 Bluray quality movies for 80.00 with tax wasn't a bad deal.

I love UV Swap for new release
New Age Flix for a huge collection
And Digitalmoviecodes dot com for reasonably priced Ultraviolet and I-Tune codes.

I share my account with my mom and dad, my twin sister and her family, my older sister and her family, my two nephews and neice who live on their own. They love my movies and every two weeks I add ten more movies from my Bluray collection and buy two new releases every week from the sites above. I currently have 390 movies on the cloud.

Most inexpensive smart Blurays have the Vudu or CinemaNow app. I prefer Vudu because they have the largest selection (not all my movies on the cloud will show up on CinemaNow or Flixster and Vudu is the only one that streams in 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound, all others still use stereo sound.

I bought my twin a 60.00 Sony player that had wifi built in and she gets the Vudu app so it's very cheap to make your HT setup "smart" and have instant access to your entire collection in the cloud without ever having to pull out a disc. I use my PS3 in my great room system and my Sony Bluray in the bedroom. Thinking about selling my entire Bluray collection for 5.00 a movie since I never use them and use the money for future movies.

Haywood how do you get Disney movies to play on Vudu? I have yet to find a single Disney movie that will play on Vudu. Some codes have both I-Tunes and Vudu but Disney is strictly I-Tunes only. Sucks because Pixar and Marvell are part of Disney and none can be used on Vudu with the exception of Iron Man 3 which Disney allowed to test the waters of Ultraviolet.

MatthewB said:
Haywood how do you get Disney movies to play on Vudu? I have yet to find a single Disney movie that will play on Vudu. Some codes have both I-Tunes and Vudu but Disney is strictly I-Tunes only. Sucks because Pixar and Marvell are part of Disney and none can be used on Vudu with the exception of Iron Man 3 which Disney allowed to test the waters of Ultraviolet.

Disney is switching to a new digital copy scheme where you can choose an Amazon code, a Vudu code or an iTunes code. Sometimes you can buy these codes. That's how I got Oz the Great and Powerful. They are not UV, but they are Vudu HDX and I doubt Vudu is going anywhere. You can also buy Disney movies directly thru Vudu and sometimes they run deals.

MatthewB said:
And Digitalmoviecodes dot com for reasonably priced Ultraviolet and I-Tune codes.

The one issue I have with their site is that there is no way to tell if the movies are HD or not. Have you had any issues getting stuck with SD copies? So far, the only SD movie in my entire collection is Iron Man 3 and I got a refund on that one from UV Swap.

Haywood said:
MatthewB said:

The one issue I have with their site is that there is no way to tell if the movies are HD or not. Have you had any issues getting stuck with SD copies? So far, the only SD movie in my entire collection is Iron Man 3 and I got a refund on that one from UV Swap.

Never mind. I played around with their site some more and figured it out. Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know about that one.

I thought that UV codes were for one-time use and only provided when purchasing a physical copy. These sites don't appear to be affiliated with the studios. Are they reselling codes from people who bought the media don't want/didn't use (much like Game Stop resells used games) or have they figure out someother way to get around the UV security?

UV codes, to my knowledge, have always had unlimited access....but as you know I never jumped on board because of my appletv/iTunes based ecosystem. Like you, I have no idea how these sites are obtaining the codes. Deals with the studios perhaps?

These sites are selling the codes that come with physical media. Each code can be used once and only once. When you redeem the code, the movie becomes a permanent part of your UV library. Right now, there are a lot of mom-and-pop video store chains that are still around and buy their movies retail. These come with codes that they have no use for. That is probably the main source of the codes sold by these sites. This gravy train won't last forever, but the movies you get this way will. I intend to take full and complete advantage. I'm also leveraging the disc-to-digital upgrade path for every single movie in my collection that is eligible. I estimate that I have about 100 more to do and budgeted the money to get them done in January before the 50% off sale ends.

Tom here's an example of what I got via email after I paid 5.00 for Despicible Me 2 and Now You See Me.

Your order is below and also attached to this email
Let us know if you need any assistance in redeeming.

Despicable Me 2
Redemption Code: 4JKNMPXFF7HT
Redemption Website: http://universaldigitalcopy.com

Now You See Me
Redemption Code: H4PYLHLXPTEP
Redemption Website: http://movieredeem.com

I just click the website link then enter the code provided (already used) and sign into my account and bam it's put in my account. I only choose HDX versions though.

I get the process, I was just wondering where these sites were getting their redemption codes.

I know some of the codes come from video rental stores. There is also a pretty active market of movie collectors who just want the disc and like to recover some money by selling the codes. I'm not sure where these guys get all of their codes (other than familyvideo.com, which actually is a rental chain).

I feel some of these sites get em from video stores but also feel that the studios have to release a bunch of them since Bluray sales have plummeted recently according to a yahoo article I read a few days back. Think about it, there is no production costs it costs the studio hardly anything to release a title to Ultraviolet and I'm positive 4.95 of every 5.00 movie sold is pure profit for the studios. They get people who otherwise would not buy a movie. I wouldn't normally buy Despicible Me but my GF and mom love the movie so I bought it for them which is 5.00 more for the studio for them doing nothing.

I had quite a few issues with disc-to-digital not recognizing discs. One of the reasons why I am waiting until right before the deal ends is to ensure that as many as possible will work this time. I want to avoid taking any discs to Walmart if possible. One annoyance I have is how specific the conversion can be. For instance, two of my four Lethal Weapon DVDs are director's cuts. The director's cuts are only available in SD, while the theatrical releases are available in HD. I would much rather just take the theatrical, but it does not look like that's an option. The complete lack of participation from Disney and the spotty participation by MGM is also really annoying. I really wish it were possible to convert my entire library.

Back