• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone still buying movies/shows on Disc?

I hardly ever watch a disc any more and when I do it's after a blockbuster movie comes out and we'll usually pop those in in the HT. I'd also say it's partly because I've cut back drastically on my Tuesday release day purchases, and now when I do buy, it's usually 4K unless it's only released on 1080p BD. For music I do still buy a lot of my music on disc though again, its rare that I get a listening session in with the actual disc. Usually I rip it to iTunes then use airplay through an airport express in the home. It's a big bonus after a CD purchase if it works with Amazons Autorip then is just shows up when refresh my Amazon music app. And that slows the urgency to rip it iTunes. My buying and watching habits have definely changed over the last 1.5-2 years.

Haven't bought a movie disc in years. Mostly it's cost. I can buy a new title for 7.00 online with no tax and the PQ is just as good as Bluray. Sure it's not lossless audio but to pay 20.00 with tax for lossless audio is just not worth it to me. That and most titles I buy can be shared with my entire family at no cost to them.

I still buy CDs and Amazon is my biggest supplier. For movies, there's some I do want to have on disc (Star Wars, Indy, Lord of the Rings, etc), so there's always going to be that.

About 95% of my viewing is streaming via Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, and even live TV through Playstation Vue and CBS All Access. I stream audio as well, but it's lossless Flac and the collector in me still likes to have the physical disc.

Haven't bought a movie disc in years. Mostly it's cost. I can buy a new title for 7.00 online with no tax and the PQ is just as good as Bluray. Sure it's not lossless audio but to pay 20.00 with tax for lossless audio is just not worth it to me. That and most titles I buy can be shared with my entire family at no cost to them.

It is going to be very interesting to see what happens to sharing after July. I suspect it will simply stop working, unfortunately. I don't really buy 1080p content anymore, so my purchases are more in the $12-20 range and I've really slowed down on the volume of content.

Just movies that I think the grandson will like. Recent purchases have been Aquaman and Spiderman:Into the Spiderverse. For what reason, I'm also more inclined to buy the movie if we see it in the theater.

I still buy from time to time now on UHD. The streaming audio and video quality of movies isn't there yet imo

We still buy Blu Ray movies and concerts. Movies typically when they are $10 or less.

I still buy from time to time now on UHD. The streaming audio and video quality of movies isn't there yet imo
I haven't compared them to the 4K disks, but some of the 4K stuff streaming on Netflix is absolutely stunning. I will also say, picture quality is also dependant on what you are using to stream the shows. My Sony x800 looks much better than the same channel streamed on my Roku.

I've been MIA for a while so apologies if I missed whole post threads about this subject. I still occasionally buy a hard copy (blu-ray) of a movie that I really like but only because I find the streaming quality to be not quite as good especially with dark scene content. And some obscure titles are just hard to find other than on disc. I am generally streaming using Amazon Prime via Xbox One or RoKu depending on the venue in my house (theater vs. treadmill). I also sometimes stream on-demand via cable TV (Comcast... I mean XFinity). What is the consensus on best quality streaming services, platforms, etc. and can anyone point me towards an existing thread? Thanks. I may be moving soon so it would be a good time to revamp my sources to optimize my addictive movie watching habits and providers.

I’ve pretty much cut the cord. No dvd’s, cd’s, or vinyl.

Amazon Music, Netflix, Hulu for videos and YouTube for music concerts, classic music, and comedy. :thumbsup:

What is the consensus on best quality streaming services, platforms, etc.

I am a huge fan of the NVidia Shield TV for streaming, as it can have lossless audio and raw Blu-Ray rips via my Plex server. It is also very responsive and is a Chromecast target. It is the most versatile and powerful steamer out there, even four years into it's run.

Bump:

Strange impulse buy probably but I grabbed two Bluray's @ Target this weekend to watch opening night in my new house / new home theater room which is probably a couple months away from even existing, but I figured why not have some motivation to get it done. I'll likely continue streaming movies primarily but figured why not for old times sake. And they do look/sound better at least last time I compared on my system before I packed it all away in storage.

(Sisu and John Wick 4)

We still pick up the odd disc, but it is usually stuff that isn't available for streaming. I've been buying nearly all of my movies on Vudu for at least a decade. Discs look marginally better, but the convenience factor involved in owning streaming licenses is hard to beat. These days, I mostly grab back-catalogue films when they go on sale for cheap. There are very few new releases that I bother with anymore, which makes me a little sad. Hollywood is a mess and most of what they put out these days is either trash, tired, or tired trash. There are exceptions, but I probably buy less than a dozen new releases a year these days.

Me I got very lucky. I got almost all dc and marvel movies in 4k hdr but all were gifts from my boss. I remember buying only 1 Sicario with my own money.

I’m down to buying virtually no discs lately, some of it is because I don’t currently have the system to maximize the format and another reason is new movies that I would even consider buying are just trickling out. Movie release delays due to covid really futzed up the theatrical release schedule the last couple years which pushes back the disc release.

Last edited:
With the advent of lossless and high-resolution audio streaming, I don't bother buying CDs anymore. I picked up a bunch of used discs for cheap on eBay awhile back to fill some holes, but then I started to wonder why. I think I'm done, unless it is someone I can't get on Amazon Music or YouTube Music.

Back