• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Best iPad home theater apps

Razz

Ok guys,
What are they and why.

I want to contro ofl my single 5.1 system, directTV, Onkyo 886, BluRay, AppleTV, Xbox all in one, on my iPad(3)

I don't want basic. I want control, and ease of use combined.

(price not to be considered... Just listed if possible)

I beat my head into the wall for two months looking for a good iPad remote solution.

IRule is a $10 app that has an amazing level of control flexibility but it is NOT intended for a novice. It requires real programming skill and experience. It works with a networked hub to operate flashers, ethernet or RS232 controls. In short the programming is pretty complicated so you may need to hire a pro to do it, but what you end up with would be exactly what you want.

Red Eye has a similar product but I honestly haven't spent any time with it yet. It looks to be much easier to program but not quite as flexible or customizable as iRule.

I also liked the stuff from Control4. The problem, again, was the need for expensive custom programming.

Ultimtely I decided to use a traditional RF remote setup from URC.

My experience mirrors T7's. There are great individual apps for each device, but the "one app to rule them all" is still hard to find. Couple that with any "legacy" IR needs & it's even worse.

John

Yeah I said something to that effect in another thread. The good/bad is that we're about a year or so away from it being REALLY cool. The bad is that it's still a year away. The good is that it gives us a year to get something together.

John

i looked at the Logitech Link when i got my iPad. then i looked at my Logitech harmony 1100.. thought why spend $100 to do something I already have and does the same thing. it does look good,and i like Logitech products.. if i didn't have the remote, i certainly would have gotten the Link

That harmony link has received average reviews at best, they have a few kinks to work out for that...

Ha! I was gonna post that link earlier, but I was between flights to Yromj's...I'm still not sure whether to recommend this item, it just got a stellar write-up in Home Theater mag, but actual user reviews from sites like Amazon etc are average at best...

Logitech sent an email to Harmony Link customers advising them that their devices will cease to function on March 18, 2018.

There's a good reason to not put too much trust in any device that is dependent on cloud services to function. If the maker gets tired of supporting it you're going to be SOL. At least a regular Harmony remote, if Logitech bailed on their programming backbone, would still be useful as long as it didn't need reprogramming.

I can’t argue with the logic there. It’s a “problem” that’s likely to occur more often in the future.

I just had a somewhat similar experience. My NAD D7050 digital stereo amplifier and wifi streamer will no longer be compatible with Spotify soon. I can still use the USB, Bluetooth and one set of analog inputs but I use this thing with Spotify 90% of the time. I don't know if it was a Spotify issue or NAD issue. This unit is still being sold new at places like Crutchfield for $650....baffles me how they could just let some of the functionality sunset. Oh well, I can still get some use out of it. I agree that this will be occurring more often in the future, I guess we better get used to it.

Back