• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Best Movie Trilogy Ever?

yromj

Tonight we watched The Dark Knight Rises. This was the first time we watched it since Bats' GTG. We really enjoyed this movie and it got me thinking: Is the Dark Knight Trilogy the best movie trilogy ever?

I'm going to look at the contenders and see.

Lord of the Rings- Overall, I may actually like these three movies slightly better than the TDK movies. Like TDK, LOTR does not have a weak movie in the set. However, the TDK is a complete story line from beginning to end. LOTR is not that; The Hobbit movies prove that.

The Matrix- A great story that is completely told in the three movies (granted there are other parts of the story in other media such as Anime, games, etc. but I'm looking at that as money grabs). However, the 2nd and 3rd movies were not in the same league as the first one.

Bourne- Three excellent movies but I don't know if they're as good as TDK. Bourne's story is told from a relative beginning but we don't know if we've seen the end of it or not.

Star Wars- The first trilogy does not maintain the level that TDK does throughout the 3 movies, IMHO. The 2nd trilogy? Jar-Jar is all that needs to be said there.

The Godfather- Ok, here comes some heat from all of ya, but I've never seen so I won't comment.

I'm hoping that this thread will generate a lot of good debate.

John

The Bad News Bears (1976)
The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training (1977)
The Bad News Bears Go to Japan (1978)

You really need to define the parameters of "Best Trilogy". You mentioned a "complete" storyline a couple of times as though knowing that the story is over makes it better. The Dark Knight storyline is far from over. The producers have only decided to not not continue it. They certainly could if they wanted to... What happens to Robin now that he's been given the keys to the bat cave? Why is Applied Sciences still up and running? Gordon has kids who, in the comic mythos, are pretty significant characters. What about them? Is Ra's Al Ghul alive? What about the League of Shadows? That vast network still exists even without Talia.

You mentioned The Hobbit as evidence that the LOTR story isn't complete. What story can't have a prequel? Even the Batman canon can be expanded with a prequel to tell the story of Gordon or Alfred.

Other contenders;
Alien, Aliens, Aliens 3
Indiana Jones
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Played With Fire, Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Mad Max
Toy Story
Evil Dead
A Fist Full of Dollars, A Few Dollars More, The Good The Bad and The Ugly
The Terminator
The Pirates of The Caribbean

yromj said:
Tonight we watched The Dark Knight Rises. This was the first time we watched it since Bats' GTG. We really enjoyed this movie and it got me thinking: Is the Dark Knight Trilogy the best movie trilogy ever?

I'm going to look at the contenders and see.

Lord of the Rings- Overall, I may actually like these three movies slightly better than the TDK movies. Like TDK, LOTR does not have a weak movie in the set. However, the TDK is a complete story line from beginning to end. LOTR is not that; The Hobbit movies prove that.

The Matrix- A great story that is completely told in the three movies (granted there are other parts of the story in other media such as Anime, games, etc. but I'm looking at that as money grabs). However, the 2nd and 3rd movies were not in the same league as the first one.

Bourne- Three excellent movies but I don't know if they're as good as TDK. Bourne's story is told from a relative beginning but we don't know if we've seen the end of it or not.

Star Wars- The first trilogy does not maintain the level that TDK does throughout the 3 movies, IMHO. The 2nd trilogy? Jar-Jar is all that needs to be said there.

The Godfather- Ok, here comes some heat from all of ya, but I've never seen so I won't comment.

I'm hoping that this thread will generate a lot of good debate.

John

Holy $#@, you've never seen the Godfather?? You gotta remedy that.

In terms of the argument, I'd have to go with LOTR for quality and Star Wars for nostalgia. TDK is very good but it doesn't grab me that much for some reason. Excellent films all of them though.

LOTR would be my choice for second-best trilogy ever. Though I remember wishing ROTK had more content even after seeing the expanded version.

I'm not even sure why this is even up for debate :think:

:happy-smileygiantred:

I don't believe that any single trilogy can ever hold that title, because no trilogy is capable of spanning all genres...w/o a doubt TDK trilogy is my favorite but is it better in its genre than LOTR is in its own genre? No doubt that that question is debatable and many other trilogies can be added to that debate. Despite my intense bias, I truly believe TDK trilogy is indeed in rare company, when you take story, iconic characters, respect to the source material, consistency from one movie to the next, direct references from previous events within the trilogy, critical acclaim, cast, production quality and box office gross, etc...all into consideration.

Kazaam said:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
You made me LOL

It's ok, yromj. I haven't seen the Godfather trilogy either, and I turned out normal.

Right?

right?

anyone?

*crickets*

No-L said:
Kazaam said:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
You made me LOL

The best of the lot is "Breaking Training".
IMO, it is because of this movie that the Houston Astrodome can NEVER be torn down.

I'm kinda fond of the X-Men trilogy.

But if not for Godfather 3 then Godfather would win hands down even over Batman for sheer storytelling.

I think every trilogy has its goose egg with the exception of the Dark Knight trilogy, the Bourne series and LOTR which were all good
Godfather 1&2 awesome, 3 sucked
Matrix 1&2 awesome, 3 sucked
Alien 1&2 awesome, 3 sucked
X-Men 1&2 awesome, 3 was so-so
Terminator 1&2 awesome, 3 sucked
Transporter 1&2 great, 3 sucked
Star Wars and Empire awesome, Jedi blew wookie dick

Although I did enjoy all the "Saw" movies because I'm twisted.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get all the love for LOTR. I think the first one is tolerable, at best, with a couple decent demo scenes that I'll throw in every once in a while (but it's been years). I find the second one ridiculous (I can't get past the tree creatures) and the third to be unwatchable (how many freaking 'endings' does that movie have?). Every fight scene is waaaay too long and by the third they all pretty much looked the same. I can't even imaging how long and boring the director's cuts must be. I will shed no tears if I never see any one of them again and of course I have no interest in seeing The Hobbit. I think it might be a Peter Jackson thing because I hated his King Kong as well...

I'm with Chuck on the LOTR.

The Godfather is great however totally different than TDKR, So I would give my vote to both of these.

I'm afraid to say I've only seen GF1 and not 2, but have always heard that 3 SUCKED.

Yea, 3 was not great, however this trilogy is still one of the best!

The thing I like about TDKR is that all three are solid!

CMonster said:
I'm sorry, but I just don't get all the love for LOTR. I think the first one is tolerable, at best, with a couple decent demo scenes that I'll throw in every once in a while (but it's been years). I find the second one ridiculous (I can't get past the tree creatures) and the third to be unwatchable (how many freaking 'endings' does that movie have?). Every fight scene is waaaay too long and by the third they all pretty much looked the same. I can't even imaging how long and boring the director's cuts must be. I will shed no tears if I never see any one of them again and of course I have no interest in seeing The Hobbit. I think it might be a Peter Jackson thing because I hated his King Kong as well...
I am assuming you never read the books, if you did I apologize.

I read the books while in HS and several times after that. They books were immensely popular and because the movies were such a good representation of the books I, and thousands of others really liked the movies.

If you were not familiar with the books I can see why you may not care for them.

As for the main question The godfather is right up there but I also really like "The Man with No Name" trilogy with Clint Eastwood.

How has there been no mention of Austin Powers? :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:

I saw Godfather part 3 before seeing the first two, so without a comparison, I thought 3 was ok. I know better now.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

I don't think you had to have read the books to enjoy LOTR (seeing as how I liked it, but never read the books). But I can believe that for those who did read the series that it possibly could've made the movies even more enjoyable.

FWIW... my only exposure had been those Hobbit and LOTR animated movies from the late 1970s. My brother liked them, but I absolutely hated them (and subsequently forgot the storyline after all those years). Not sure which I hated more, though, the crappy cartoon animation or the storyline. I still think the cartoons suck, but I now find some appreciation for them only to compare how they handled the story versus the Peter Jackson version.

Back