• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bose Panaray

Zing said:
Did you fall down stairs and hit your head?

Apparently the guy selling the speakers did. Did you see his spelling? What a fucked up ad. :doh:

Well, they gotta be worht Something. This guy keeps lowering his price and if he really is going out of the country I might get them for a song.

And do what with them? Sell them to MattB?

Maximo said:
Well, they gotta be worht Something. This guy keeps lowering his price and if he really is going out of the country I might get them for a song.

But the song will sound like shit.

BOSE BLOWS......

Except my brother has a pair of 301's that are about 30 years old and I had a pair of 101's in my speedboat many, many years ago.........

I disagree. As long as appropriately priced I have no issue with a Pair of Bose Panaray bass modules augmenting my bottom line. Bose don't make white van products with mismatched wireing and missing crossovers. They make overpriced and underperforming products.

For $600 I would not tought the pair of them, but for much cheaper. Maybe.

I realize that they cannot touch any HSU or SVS product. I never said they would.

I think most of us would advise against buying "underperforming products," regardless of the price. There is a difference in making noise over a certain frequency range and the ability to adequately reproduce a recorded sound over a certain frequency range.

Maximo said:
I disagree. As long as appropriately priced I have no issue with a Pair of Bose Panaray bass modules augmenting my bottom line. Bose don't make white van products with mismatched wireing and missing crossovers. They make overpriced and underperforming products.

I realize that they cannot touch any HSU or SVS product. I never said they would.

It has been awhile since I have heard a bose setup, but I kind of agree with Max. They do have a pleasant sound to them, they are just way over priced. I know there are speakers with better sound and dynamic range for a lot less money, but for a corner setup for ambient sound, they tend to have a richness to them that adds to the ambience. I say if you can get them very cheaply, buy them.
Rob

Huey said:
Maximo said:

It has been awhile since I have heard a bose setup, but I kind of agree with Max. They do have a pleasant sound to them, they are just way over priced. I know there are speakers with better sound and dynamic range for a lot less money, but for a corner setup for ambient sound, they tend to have a richness to them that adds to the ambience. I say if you can get them very cheaply, buy them.
Rob

I tend to agree with these thoughts too. My parents have an Acoustimass 5.1 system in their living room and an Acoustic Wave Radio in their kitchen/hearth. They love and use them both daily. They like that they are easy to operate and aren't too unattractive or noticeable. If not for these speakers, they'd rather use the TV speakers or nothing at all. Plenty of people feel the same way. This is Bose's target market. Given the compromises they make with design, I think their speakers provide a nice experience for the casual listener. Add in the fact that they've managed to build good brand equity, and I think this company has made some wise decisions. They may not impress many of our forum members with their sound, but I don't think they are trying to.

All that aside, this speaker in the ad looks like it's part of their portable PA line. What would you do with that?

Probably nothing. I just like getting stuff cheap. Would be nice to try them out as bass cabinets in my garage.

Technical Specifications

* Dimensions: 18.1"D x 10.2"W x 26.7"H (46 cm x 25.9 cm x 67.8 cm)
* Weight: 45 lbs. (20kg)
* Driver complement: Four 51/4" drivers in a direct vented box
* Maximum acoustic output: 110dB-SPL, at 1m (pink noise)
* Impedance: 8 ohm nominal
* Long-term power handling: 200W continuous
* Frequency range: 40Hz to 300Hz ±3dB
* Sensitivity: 87dB-SPL at 1W, 1m (pink noise)
* Cabinet: Wood wrap with polyethylene endcaps and metal grille
* Connectors: Neutrik NL-4 Speakon connectors

heeman said:
BOSE BLOWS......

Darn right! Bose blows away the competition with their patented wave guide system that delivers premium sound. It's like what that dual-sport baseball/football player used to say back in the Nineties: "Bose knows". On the other hand, it's also been said that "Bose don't know Diddley!"

Back