• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Bought a pair of Audioengines...

Randy

Superstar
For my new office.

I really had a hard time justifying the cost cuz I wanted the A5+ in super cool bamboo, so I just said the hell with it and clicked buy.

This damn interwebz makes it way to easy to impulse buy. :banana-rock:

Congrats Randy!!!!

It's been too long since anyone talked about new speakers. I hope you enjoy the hell out of them.

Thanks cant wait to see them. I am debating on using them here for a bit so I can actually give them a good audition. I wont be able to really test them in my new digs.

When you see the bamboo, you'll be dayum glad you dropped hammer. They are super kool looking and near impervious to dings/scratches. You SUCK the BIG one!!

Rope

Towen7 said:
Congrats Randy!!!!

It's been too long since anyone talked about new speakers. I hope you enjoy the hell out of them.

whaa?

i just got some recently too.... :teasing-tease:

randy, show us some pictures of em bamboo speakers!

Congrats on your new toys Randy...........

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Well they came in already. Set them up in the basement and casually listened for about an hour. Audioengine says no critical listening until 40-60 hours break in time so I made sure I was sufficiently distracted and was not listening critically. I didn't know what might happen, it simply isn't worth risking. LMAO

These things may very well be to big for my desk in my new office. WE shall see.

Oh ya, they sounded pretty darn good right out the box. I wish I could have A/B'ed them with the M-Audios I have been using. I hope based solely on price the Audioengines outperform them by a large margin.

Randy said:
Audioengine says no critical listening until 40-60 hours break in time so I made sure I was sufficiently distracted and was not listening critically. I didn't know what might happen, it simply isn't worth risking.
You dodged a major bullet there, my friend! :laughing:

(I believe you may take a pic of them to post after a half-hour, however)

Randy,

Make sure you do all of your "critical listening" (that you will EVER do with these speakers) between the 60th and 61st hours. That's most assuredly the "sweet time" when they will be at their best. After that they will simply continue to degrade at the same rate as they did for the first 40-60 hours, until they eventually sound no better than two rusty old soup cans joined by 100' of limp string.

Best.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:
Randy,

Make sure you do all of your "critical listening" (that you will EVER do with these speakers) between the 60th and 61st hours. That's most assuredly the "sweet time" when they will be at their best. After that they will simply continue to degrade at the same rate as they did for the first 40-60 hours, until they eventually sound no better than two rusty old soup cans joined by 100' of limp string.

Best.

Jeff
:text-yeahthat:

Mighty pretty speakers Randy. I know you will enjoy them. What are the other pieces in this system?

JeffMackwood said:
Randy,

Best.

Jeff

Jeff, Thank you for pointing that out. As intuitve as it may seem I had not considered that.

Wardsweb said:
Mighty pretty speakers Randy. I know you will enjoy them. What are the other pieces in this system?

WW,

Simply hooked directly up to the PC and to tell you the truth I cant even recall what sound card this machine has in it.

I will try getting pics soon but with the transition between jobs I have been SLAMMED!!!
I am still doing both jobs as my replacement has yet to be named. Fortunately I have A LOT of really good people helping me.

I am also doing something I have never done before. I am breaking in speakers. I have been running them for 48 hours now, varying the volume occasionally from normal to moderate listening levels.

I turned them way down before I go to bed, but still heard them a couple of times throughout the last two nights cuz my office is directly below my bedroom.

We shall see...

I've been longing for a pair of A5+ for years. Thankfully, my lust and need for multiple computer monitors has thwarted the option of even considering a pair of speakers on my desk as large as the A5's. I'm still jealous as hell, Randy.

I will try to get pics later today.

So my brothers, both computer nerds, were over yesterday and I told them to go down and check them out. I still had them running for a bit of break in. They cam upstairs and this was the conversation:

Oldest brother: so what sound card do you have in the PC?

Me: I don't remember

OB: the one that came with the PC?

Me" yes

OB: So you bought a $500 pair of speakers to run on a $5 soundcard? Sounds like a great choice to me.

Damn, I know some of you guys were thinking it, but damn leave it to your brother to pull no punches. LMAO

Randy said:
...I know some of you guys were thinking it...
Not me. I just assumed you were smart enou, I mean, I figured you were using something outboard like an M-Audio MobilePre that's just been lying around since you last ran an RTA sweep.

But hey, at least you're breaking them in, so there's that.

I just so happen to have an M-Audio Mobile Pre on a shelf gathering dust if you're interested.

I'm not familiar with it, but I may be interested. Let me do a little research. PM me with details if you are interested in moving it.

Back