• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CLASSICAL Music

Today I had the pleasure of attending a concert at my church - a very nice acoustical space for classical music - performed by John Nauman on piano and Jonathan Carney on violin. John N has played here before, a year and a bit ago, he's a truly world-class pianist, and a very nice guy. I hadn't met/seen Carney before, he's the concertmaster (violin first chair) of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and has played with many major national orchestras. They did some Brahms (a sonata I knew well) and Saint-Saens concerto (not as familiar), plus a few smaller things including one short piece that John N wrote. It was great to hear live music in a small(ish) venue with maybe ~125 people in attendance.

And the fun part was that I got to turn pages for John N! Meaning, it was my job to follow the piano part, not always an easy task when it's rushing along, and turn the page for him at the right time. I was scared as hell I was gonna cause some obvious blunder, but I pulled it off ok. ;) But the best part was being able to sit RIGHT NEXT TO a pianist like John while he plays, and watch how he and the violinist communicate while they play, how they coordinate tempi and such to make it real duet music, not just the piano accompanying the violin. Plus of course the sound, being right there literally next to the performers, was a fun experience. Not even the best recording in the world quite gets you that sort of immersion where you can hear the people breathing and watch what they're doing. Though I had to keep myself from getting too absorbed in the music so as not to forget my job...

Anyway, it was a fun afternoon.

Sounds fantastic Pauly, thanks for sharing. There is nothing like LIVE Music! :bow-blue:

Dennie :text-goodpost:

PaulyT said:
Today I had the pleasure of attending a concert at my church - a very nice acoustical space for classical music - performed by John Nauman on piano and Jonathan Carney on violin. John N has played here before, a year and a bit ago, he's a truly world-class pianist, and a very nice guy. I hadn't met/seen Carney before, he's the concertmaster (violin first chair) of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and has played with many major national orchestras. They did some Brahms (a sonata I knew well) and Saint-Saens concerto (not as familiar), plus a few smaller things including one short piece that John N wrote. It was great to hear live music in a small(ish) venue with maybe ~125 people in attendance.

And the fun part was that I got to turn pages for John N! Meaning, it was my job to follow the piano part, not always an easy task when it's rushing along, and turn the page for him at the right time. I was scared as hell I was gonna cause some obvious blunder, but I pulled it off ok. ;) But the best part was being able to sit RIGHT NEXT TO a pianist like John while he plays, and watch how he and the violinist communicate while they play, how they coordinate tempi and such to make it real duet music, not just the piano accompanying the violin. Plus of course the sound, being right there literally next to the performers, was a fun experience. Not even the best recording in the world quite gets you that sort of immersion where you can hear the people breathing and watch what they're doing. Though I had to keep myself from getting too absorbed in the music so as not to forget my job...

Anyway, it was a fun afternoon.

Great experience PaulyT!

Maybe Joe B. needs a page turner on his next tour? :teasing-tease:

A fine quartet for your morning:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKezUd_xw20[/youtube]

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

Ha! Nice. Except I think Mozart did that upside down piano trick first - if you believe Amadeus. :laughing: Though the piano and cello at the same time was pretty unique!

I REALLY enjoyed that!

:handgestures-thumbup: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :handgestures-thumbup:

I ordered this copy to play because I had the record originally

I will be listening tonight.

Attachments

• Atlanta Firebird..jpg
    Atlanta Firebird..jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1,062
I enjoyed the recording very much and Telarc did a good job with this.
This is a blast from the past around 1978.

I also like that Firebird Cover.

Robert Shaw is one of my favorite conductors, especially with choral music.

malsackj said:
I ordered this copy to play because I had the record originally

I will be listening tonight.

I've got the vinyl version of that, one of my favorites! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

Still have the vinyl. Played about four times. First time was copied to tape.
Used tape mostly. That cd is sweet

The Guo sisters, Flight of the Bumblebee.
On cellos.

Oh yeah!

:music-rockout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFYwT0aU2ko[/youtube]

The legato portion at about :40 really sounds like a bumblebee! :eek: :handgestures-thumbup:

This is the reason I listen to classical music. This is a small excerpt from a piece we're singing in church, Durufle's Requiem. Overall it's actually not an easy piece to listen to casually, but it has some extraordinary moments of beauty.

If you're impatient, skip to ~1:45 for the final choral section. But in particular, listen for the chord change at 2:29. The last three chords of this piece are among my favorite in classical music.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJhnX1wnyo[/youtube]

(I have nothing to do with this particular recording, I just rummaged through youtube trying to find a decent quality recording where you can hear the choir well.)

Big classical music day for me today. First, we sang the Durufle Requiem (excerpt above) in church today - actually we sang the whole thing twice if you count the rehearsal beforehand. Then I went to a "Bach marathon" concert at another local church, which goes from 2-7pm! I was there from 2-4, mainly to hear a pianist friend of mine, especially as he was playing a piece (Bach/Busoni Chaconne in D minor) that I'm currently working on. There was also some great pipe organ stuff - nice low body-shaking notes! :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers: But I didn't have it in me to stay for the full 5 hours, though I don't think they really expected people to do so, as they has a "suggested donation by the hour." :D But it's great to have the opportunity to see some serious music like this performed live.

So Gangsta ?

were there any good goose bump moments in the performances.

Did your little ladies make it there and dance some ?

PaulyT said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJhnX1wnyo[/youtube]

^ This was a beautiful piece, Paul, watched the entire video! I luv choirs & string instruments! :eusa-clap:

40390.jpg

Cannot get this out of my head lately; absolutely gorgeous.

Back