• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

CNC JBL 2397 horns

Wardsweb

Renaissance man
Here is a pic from earlier today as some 1" African bubinga was being machined into custom horns. The holes you see are where the bolts go through to hold the vanes.

bubinga1.jpg

Oh goodie, goodie! Another project.

Looking forward to your progress on this.

Very interesting! So where was that machining being done? Is that a regular manufacturer of these horns, or is this a custom one-off thing that you've arranged? That would be very cool to watch.

Wardsweb, do you have a home CNC setup?? If so, :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

PaulyT and Botch - alas no CNC at home but about 10 minutes down the street. It is a plastics supplier/fabricator, but they will CNC anything. Their CAD designer is into audio and wants to hear some classical music when the new setup is done. He is also going to design and cut some stands out of the same wood. These will sit on top of my JBL C-50 Olympus, along with the JBL 2405 tweeter.

Wardsweb said:
PaulyT and Botch - alas no CNC at home but about 10 minutes down the street. It is a plastics supplier/fabricator, but they will CNC anything. Their CAD designer is into audio and wants to hear some classical music when the new setup is done. He is also going to design and cut some stands out of the same wood. These will sit on top of my JBL C-50 Olympus, along with the JBL 2405 tweeter.
Suh-WEET!!! :music-rockout:

Here is a finished set with the custom CNC billet vanes. The wood is just as it was coming off the CNC. It has not been sanded yet. So it will only get better.

2397d.jpg

Here is how they go together. They will actually bolt together with inserts in the top half of the horn for the bolts to thread into.

2397e.jpg

Here is a look head on. Still need to sand, some Danish oil, polish the vanes and make some stands.

2397g.jpg

Where is the design of the horn shape coming from?

heeman said:
Are those Peziolectic Tweeters?
They are compression driver horns. In place of what you think would be a horn, they use a slot with an aluminum diverter in it.

Ok sanding was a lot more of a task than I had anticipated. The very hardness that made machining nice, makes sanding difficult. I ended up using 120 grit on a random orbital palm sander to get the paper to even cut. I then hand blocked a little with some 320. Running your hand over it, you would think it had been finished in 600 grit.

Here is a picture as the first coat of Danish oil was going on.

2397h.jpg

Back