• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Comic Books & Graphic Novels

Went to the library the other day and picked up Locke & Key's first compilation... I liked it a lot. Will be reading the other books later.

3217221.jpg

I plan on reading the Walking Dead comics after the series ends. I can't find it, but I have one on the Surfer that involves him leading Galactus to Earth and fighting the Fantastic Four.

Good call on Secret Wars Jomari. I have most of the comics from I and II. I haven't looked, but I would like to find the whole Secret Wars story arc (including the offshoots in the various other comics) in one package.

I would love to see Josh Whedon put that story to film.

Yesfan70 said:
Good call on Secret Wars Jomari. I have most of the comics from I and II. I haven't looked, but I would like to find the whole Secret Wars story arc (including the offshoots in the various other comics) in one package.

I would love to see Josh Whedon put that story to film.

i am not alone. :happy-smileygiantred:

my problem is, i think im hooked on comics again. this time around i think its more or less somewhat stressful, but also removes that wonder of awe and well, awesomeness.

i plan on getting the infinity glove again, not because of the movie, but simply because it had a great storyline.

i also wanted to read more of the original reboots from 1993, including the superman death.

remember the cover?

Superman__s_Dead_by_Wolverine080976.jpg

or was it this one...
250px-Superman75.jpg

im not a true superman fan, but i like...

^ the attachment was the actual cover, the logo above was the main marketing logo leading upto the "event" and was also on the plastic slip cover for the issue...

Batman said:
^ the attachment was the actual cover, the logo above was the main marketing logo leading upto the "event" and was also on the plastic slip cover for the issue...

sweet! yet another true fan from the ages! :happy-smileygiantred:

i also loved the events afterwards, different to swallow, but definitely worth the while to read into...

I don't usually buy/read floppy books anymore but our resident Batfan recommended a new story arc, Batman Eternal. The arc is set to run a FULL year through the pages of the WEEKLY book...

imagejpg1_zpsf4c6caa4.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsdc3ceaea.jpg

I was just never into comic books that much don't know why I liked to read. I did wear out covers of Mad Magazine and National Lampoon. Watched cartoons but cant say I read much comic books.

1964MadMagazine.jpg

File_Natlamp73.jpg

Batman said:

I have that issue. It is my brother's, but somehow it wound up in my possession. I also have some of his Firestorm comics.

So, I've been working my way through a number of Batman graphic novels (recommended by our local Batman, of course), and am really enjoying these:

Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
The Killing Joke
Hush
The Dark Knight Returns

All very good, and each unique in its own way. Yeah ok so some of the plot/history details are different from author to author, and there are a few characters I don't recognize at all (Huntress, Nightwing - though I realize he's one of the ex-Robins, just don't know the back story). Great stories all, and it's interesting to see some of the influences of these on the Nolan movies.

But what I'm discovering more and more is that my primary enjoyment from these comics is the artwork. They're all good. But Hush in particular is simply spectacular! And this is gotta be about the geekiest thing I've ever said (and that's saying a lot, for me), but the way Poison Ivy is drawn in the book - in particular, her ass - kinda turns me on. :scared-eek:

Batman-612-pg18.gif

Not the particular image I had in mind, but close... probably near the same page.

Anyway, this is a lot of fun, and I definitely recommend all of these if you haven't read/seen them.

Great Minds Think Alike, Pauly.

I got Hush as a gift for my dad and recently read it. I've known the story for a long time (from other sources) but I haven't actually read it. Until last week... I was actually telling friends how fantastic the art is. Every panel on every page is great.

Yeah I was telling Towen how much use DC has gotten from Hush to market the character. Art from that story is on everything from school folders to tee-shirts and beyond. Jim Lee has defined the look of Batman ever since he drew that book.

They even have modified iconic poses on some of the splash pages and gave Batman "dark knight trilogy" armor...

Hush was great but Killing Joke IMO is better.

Been getting into Garth Ennis a lot lately, his stories in CROSSED are great and Preacher is fantastic. If those are to extreme for you guys then check out his Red Team, it's got a lot of comic lovers inside jokes and is a fun read.

I'm a fan of these listed and can be started with volume 1 if any one is interested.

Preacher

Transmetropolitan

Allstar Superman

Punisher MAX

Just finished BATMAN The Long Halloween, man I LOVED this! Gonna start The Court Of Owls tomorrow.

Also just picked up the Batman and Catwoman HUSH statue, it's a great piece and really captures Jim Lees art quite nicely. While Killing Joke still remains my fave there is no denying what LEE brings to Batman in HUSH.

Also recently got all caught up with PREACHER, I know it's not super hero comics but it is So good. Ennis is at his best here and the artwork is really good.

walls said:
Just finished BATMAN The Long Halloween, man I LOVED this! Gonna start The Court Of Owls tomorrow.

Also just picked up the Batman and Catwoman HUSH statue, it's a great piece and really captures Jim Lees art quite nicely. While Killing Joke still remains my fave there is no denying what LEE brings to Batman in HUSH.
I picked up that statue while a few of us were out and about during this years GTG. Worth every penny!

Pauly, are you working through the list of books you picked up? Are you ready for a Batman book report? :happy-smileygiantred:

Ha! I've read all the graphic novels, but I admit I haven't gotten to the books yet...

FINALLY, I was able to finish the Batman: Court of Owls and City of Owls storyline. Great story and I can see why the combo of Scott Snyder (writer) and Greg Capullo (artist) have gained so much praise from their recent Batman run. BUT over time I don't see it being held in the same regard of the other tried and true "classics" IMO. I have stockpiles of Batman books that I've continued to collect ranging from the early 90s right before I quit buying to more recently when I started back up and began filling in gaps with volumes of Batman hardcovers. I must have ~60 graphic novels to choose from. :shock:

batman-court-of-owls-city-of-owls.jpg

Just finished Snyder and Capullo's Joker Death of the Family. It's really good, the Joker is really violent in this one and IMO the best depiction of the character in a LONG time.

Also picked up the Batman on The horse statue from Millers Dark Knight, it's a fantastic piece.

I really like Capullo's Batman, but he's no Jim Lee. Lol

Back