• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Current Recommendations for HT Pre/Pro

AndySTL

I have a buddy who is looking to update his processor. He's probably looking to spend ~$1k and the rest of his system is very solid (Legacy Audio all the way around + Servo 15). He has a 60" Kuro, so 3D is not really important to him now. He does not need balanced outputs and he would be willing to buy used. So, what is the popular recommendation for processors? Is the Marantz AV7005 still a good choice? Since he doesn't need balanced outputs, is the SR7005 just as good with a lower price? What Onkyo models should he look at? Any other recommendations?

Does he want to stream movies/music from the net or home computer?

Rope

Rope said:
Does he want to stream movies/music from the net or home computer?

Rope

I think that the answer would be yes, but if there is a great unit that wasn't able to I think he would just buy another device like a Squeezebox or Apple TV.

AndySTL said:
Rope said:

Wow, this looks like a good value. Just glancing at the features, is there anything it doesn't have? I noticed Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, which I think is still at the top, right?

-B-, or Bats would be better qualified to explain the difference between the 80.2 vs. The 80.3. The only difference I'm aware of is 4k processing.

Rope

Rope said:
AndySTL said:
Rope said:

Wow, this looks like a good value. Just glancing at the features, is there anything it doesn't have? I noticed Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, which I think is still at the top, right?

-B-, or Bats would be better qualified to explain the difference between the 80.2 vs. The 80.3. The only difference I'm aware of is 4k processing.

Rope

Ok, I don't think he would care to pay for that. His Kuro is 720p.

If you could find a used Integra DTC 40.2 that would be even better, it has all the bells and whistles less the balanced XLR connections and should be less on the used market but may be a little harder to come buy. One Call often has Marantz open box av7005s you could look there too...

:text-link:

Batman said:
If you could find a used Integra DTC 40.2 that would be even better, it has all the bells and whistles less the balanced XLR connections and should be less on the used market but may be a little harder to come buy. One Call often has Marantz open box av7005s you could look there too...

:text-link:

Thanks everyone, this is about what I expected; Marantz or Onkyo/Integra. Does Onkyo have a similarly featured processor to the 40.2 with a lower price?

No they don't, and I thought that was foolish of Onkyo/Integra...it looks like Onkyo is considering letting Integra have all the preamp sales. If you look at their site they still list last years model and the 5509 is only available abroad...I thought Onkyo should have badged the model with no XLRs and let Integra have the other.

Razz said:
Ohhhhhhh....
How I miss my servo 15!!! :cry:
Pack that Outlaw unit of yours into a carry-on and bring it with you to my place in July. I'll take it off your hands! :)

ps. Been doing a bit of research. The Outlaw ECS-10 is a re-badged Velo Photon 10. Rear panels are identical - right down to the number and placement of screws. The Photon-10 originally listed for $1,199 (way too much) while I think the ECS-10 was something like $849. Currently, and even though both have been discontinued for some time, you can get an ECS-10 brand new off Amazon (Amazon seller) for $534 - which I'd say is a good deal if you are looking for a very capable very compact sub. I'm seriously thinking of getting one to use in my family room HT.

-B- said:
I didn't know Razz had an Outlaw.....those still designed by HSU?
I think most of their line is. But as I mentionned above, the ECS-10 looks to be a Velodyne unit. I know that when I was at Razz' place a while back the Outlaw proved to be a very capable performer - with surprisingly deep bass at good-enough-for-me volume levels.

For the money he could possibly get a Marantz AV 8003 pre/pro refurbed from accessories4less

I have heard a lot of Onkyou stuff and I have heard a lot of Marantz stuff and I have always preferred Marantz. If I could get my wife an kid to stop spending EVERY dime I make, I would have the new Marantz 7005 pre/pro in my basement.

Anduy, what Legacy stuff does your buddy have? I would love to see that system. I am a pretty big fan of Legacy audio and I love their speakers. Been to the factory several times when it was in Springfield IL and even spoke to Bill Duddleston twice. I NEED A PAIR OF LEGACY FOCUS FOR MY MAINS.

Randy said:
For the money he could possibly get a Marantz AV 8003 pre/pro refurbed from accessories4less

I have heard a lot of Onkyou stuff and I have heard a lot of Marantz stuff and I have always preferred Marantz. If I could get my wife an kid to stop spending EVERY dime I make, I would have the new Marantz 7005 pre/pro in my basement.

Anduy, what Legacy stuff does your buddy have? I would love to see that system. I am a pretty big fan of Legacy audio and I love their speakers. Been to the factory several times when it was in Springfield IL and even spoke to Bill Duddleston twice. I NEED A PAIR OF LEGACY FOCUS FOR MY MAINS.

Yeah, there's a guy over at Club Polk selling an AV8003 for $750, but it seems like the AV7005 is the preferable unit now. I think he can get one in his price range.

My buddy has Legacy Focus 20/20s as mains. The rears are Victorias and the center is something like the Marquis (I think, going off memory). The Focus 20/20s rock. Maybe I'll see if I can get him to join this board and whenever we do our GTG I will try to get him to come.

JeffMackwood said:
-B- said:
I didn't know Razz had an Outlaw.....those still designed by HSU?
I think most of their line is. But as I mentionned above, the ECS-10 looks to be a Velodyne unit. I know that when I was at Razz' place a while back the Outlaw proved to be a very capable performer - with surprisingly deep bass at good-enough-for-me volume levels.

Thats some high praise from a guy with 7 PAIRS of full range speakers and (at last count) 19 subwoofers in his room. High praise indeed.

If he doesn't mind using a receiver as a pre/pro the new Onkyo 818 is loaded with pretty much everything.

That's what I would upgrade to if I had the funds.

Back