• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cutting the Cord?

I honestly find the sheer volume of content available across our services daunting. There is so much there that the real problem becomes deciding what to watch. I do not miss cable at all (we only use our cable box for rare live events we cannot stream).

Then I must have HBO NOW. I put HBO GO in the search area of Prime, but it must default to the other when I added the channel.

Looking at Hulu.com, I see the Hulu live is $45 a month, and gives you 50 hours of cloud storage, which isn't much, but I'm guessing we would stream most of the shows and only dvr what we couldn't stream.

Why would you need alot of storage? The programs on Hulu are available for weeks sometimes months or years. Maybe I misunderstand

Why would you need alot of storage? The programs on Hulu are available for weeks sometimes months or years. Maybe I misunderstand
Not saying we would need a lot of storage, but not all of the content of the local channels will be available on Hulu, if you understand what I'm saying. Specifically, I'm talking about Hulu live content that would be dvr'd.

Not saying we would need a lot of storage, but not all of the content of the local channels will be available on Hulu, if you understand what I'm saying. Specifically, I'm talking about Hulu live content that would be dvr'd.

YouTube TV has unlimited storage, unless they changed it since I quit.

My life literally changed for the better when I lost the ability to record stuff.

My life literally changed for the better when I lost the ability to record stuff.
Yeah, and you went out and bought a travel trailer. I'm trying to save money not spend it. lol

Bought an antenna last night, figured I wouldn't be able to pick up much with the houses so close together. I did do some searching on Hulu, I was surprised at what they had on there as far as broadcast tv goes. I had stopped watching the Orville, so picked up where I left off. Picture was decent, although I think they must drop the frame rate as I could see a little "jerkiness" in the picture.

Yeah, and you went out and bought a travel trailer. I'm trying to save money not spend it. lol

Bought an antenna last night, figured I wouldn't be able to pick up much with the houses so close together. I did do some searching on Hulu, I was surprised at what they had on there as far as broadcast tv goes. I had stopped watching the Orville, so picked up where I left off. Picture was decent, although I think they must drop the frame rate as I could see a little "jerkiness" in the picture.

That may have something to do with your internet connection. all the shows I watch on Hulu look like I was watching via cable, great picture.

That may have something to do with your internet connection. all the shows I watch on Hulu look like I was watching via cable, great picture.
It wasn't the internet, the stuff I streamed elsewhere looked fine. It's a blink and you miss it type scenario, but I kept seeing it throughout the show.

It wasn't the internet, the stuff I streamed elsewhere looked fine. It's a blink and you miss it type scenario, but I kept seeing it throughout the show.

Clearly it's something to do with either your data stream from the servers or your device's performance running that particular app. I watch The Orville and it is by far one of the finest looking streams on my 4K TV.

I know how to test if it's nature of distributing shows via the internet.... start a new episode of the show then pause it after the credits run, which is about 3 to 6 minutes into the show. Leave it paused until the app goes back to the home page, then start it again. If you don't have any glitches after doing that, the problem is a bottleneck somewhere between the main storage location of the content and the caching servers closer to you. If it is the same with glitches, then it is likely the app or the device.

It could be my player or the app, but this is the only show I've noticed it on, although I don't watch a lot of Hulu. The episode was the one where Alara loses her strength and has to go back to her home planet for a bit. It looks like either it is dropping frames, or the video is trying to keep up with the sound, although they were never out of sync from each other. And I watched a 4K show immediately after and had no problems what so ever.

It could be my player or the app, but this is the only show I've noticed it on, although I don't watch a lot of Hulu. The episode was the one where Alara loses her strength and has to go back to her home planet for a bit. It looks like either it is dropping frames, or the video is trying to keep up with the sound, although they were never out of sync from each other. And I watched a 4K show immediately after and had no problems what so ever.

Content is permanently stored in main Hulu data centers, which may be many networks hops away from your internet connection point. Then Hulu has currently popular content temporarily cached in servers near you, ideally on the same network segment you are on, to ensure quality streaming.

If you start a show which has been pushed off the coaching servers near you, it has to stream straight from one of the primary storage locations and may need to hop across a dozen, or more, routers and multiple internet backbone providers. If this is during a high traffic rush hour for the internet, like between 6pm and 10pm eastern time, then there are likely multiple choke points your stream has to get through to reach your device.

Since you were watching an older episode of a relatively popular show which is advertised on live TV, people in your area had probably watched the week after it was broadcast and not much after that, so it was likely dropped from the coaching server on your network segment and had to cone from the main storage location.

That's why it was probably glitchy.

The other show(s) you watched which looked fine were probably cached near you so those broader internet choke points weren't in the mix.

After doing some limited research into the offerings, not all shows that are on broadcast tv are also on Hulu, or at least not their current seasons. My wife would kill me if she couldn't watch Survivor, so I will need some cloud storage unless I go with CBS all access. And I'll be honest, that's probably what has sparked me looking into this, especially with a new Twilight Zone show coming out.

I noticed this during Chiefs games and the NCAA tournament has confirmed - CBS looks a lot worse than every other station through Hulu w/ Live TV. I wonder if CBS is intentionally degrading their stream to push people to All Access.

After doing some limited research into the offerings, not all shows that are on broadcast tv are also on Hulu, or at least not their current seasons. My wife would kill me if she couldn't watch Survivor, so I will need some cloud storage unless I go with CBS all access. And I'll be honest, that's probably what has sparked me looking into this, especially with a new Twilight Zone show coming out.

CBS All Access + Hulu gets you almost everything from the major networks. I have found that missing back seasons is a bigger problem on Hulu than current seasons. This is usually because another streaming service has an existing contract for back seasons, so they are often available on Netflix or Amazon.

I noticed this during Chiefs games and the NCAA tournament has confirmed - CBS looks a lot worse than every other station through Hulu w/ Live TV. I wonder if CBS is intentionally degrading their stream to push people to All Access.

Never mind - the CBS All Access stream looks like shit as well. Last night, b-ball on TNT looked great through Hulu including when they showed highlights from the game airing on CBS. I have no idea what’s going on but this sucks...

Back