• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cutting the Cord?

Well crap, I'm not sure my Sony will support the Hulu live function. It is free for a week, and it might work on my Roku, but I do like the way things look upconverted on the Sony. Guess I'll try it, can always cancel after the free week is up and go back to just the Hulu+.

While it seems like I'm talking to myself, maybe somebody who is thinking of cutting the cord will find this info useful. Added the live channels to Hulu yesterday, cost about $40 more per month than the ad free Hulu+. I was afraid it wouldn't work on my Sony X800, and it didn't, live portion doesn't even show up there, but it did work on my Roku3, as well as the tv itself. Tv had the best picture, although the Roku was just fine. Only one of the locals was what was advertised at hulu, with 2 others being out of Flint, and the NBC station seeming to be a generic, non station specific channel, as there were no local programs and even most of the commercials were for NBC shows.

Biggest complaint is that user interface is clunky. Channels are hard to find, and it only shows 2 shows in the guide, what's playing and what's next. The Sony has a completely different interface than the roku or tv's, much easier to navigate, but of course it doesn't support the live tv. Not sure if we'll keep it or not. Kind of the wrong time of year to add locals, but we have been missing the news as well as a few syndicated shows.

Huey

Have you tried DirectTV Now? I have it and get all of my local channels, dvr capability and few glitches for about $45/month.

Also the Sny Hulu app is an older version. I much prefer the interface on the Sony as well, it used to be the same s the Roku but changed a year or so ago.

Wait, what came out of me?
south-park-s01e01c11-80-foot-satellite-4x3.jpg

Huey

Have you tried DirectTV Now? I have it and get all of my local channels, dvr capability and few glitches for about $45/month.

Also the Sny Hulu app is an older version. I much prefer the interface on the Sony as well, it used to be the same s the Roku but changed a year or so ago.
No I haven't but will have to check it out.

I encouraged my ladyfriend, who is a sports junkie, to get DirecTV Now and she loves it. She and her kids can watch TV anywhere and th er y dont have to all get their own TV.

I just went to their page, and current deal is $50, which also includes HBO. Wondering though, is that just streaming whatever HBO is airing at the moment, or can you look up shows and movies and stream archived material? That seem a little vague about what they offer, didn't see how much cloud storage they give with the $50 program. It looks attractive as long as I can go back and stream old shows on HBO that we never finished.

Unless they offer additional storage for a fee, it looks like DirecTV Now limits you to 20 hours of cloud recording time.

I just went to their page, and current deal is $50, which also includes HBO. Wondering though, is that just streaming whatever HBO is airing at the moment, or can you look up shows and movies and stream archived material? That seem a little vague about what they offer, didn't see how much cloud storage they give with the $50 program. It looks attractive as long as I can go back and stream old shows on HBO that we never finished.

When I first got it that is what I had but also had HBO NOW which has all archived material. Getting rid of HBO knocked $5 off the price.

I think you will see a number of offers for versions of HBO as GoT is over and I bet a number of people are ditching HBO becauyse of that. Personally I feel there is alot to watch on HBO so I have both HBO NOW an DirectTV Now (without HBO).

You only get about 2 hours of dvr space with DTVNOW. I only use it occasionally as I have Hulu and CBS All access so I can watch most of what I want at my leisure.

Well I just checked and DirecTV Now has increased their price for me from $40/month to $50/month. think I will cancel it.

Well I just checked and DirecTV Now has increased their price for me from $40/month to $50/month. think I will cancel it.
The $50 was what I was seeing, and it didn't look like it had the option to drop HBO to get the price down.

The $50 was what I was seeing, and it didn't look like it had the option to drop HBO to get the price down.
They changed the packages since U joined and I seem to grandfathered in. I had 65 channels for $40 now it looks like 45 channels for $50. I will think about it over the weekend but I think for me it is toast.

If you subscribe, You can use your DirectvNow login credentials to activate the HBOGO app. That app mirrors HBOGo. So even though it’s not accessed thru the Directvnow interface, it’s still pretty instant after setting up the HBOGO app.

If you subscribe, You can use your DirectvNow login credentials to activate the HBOGO app. That app mirrors HBOGo. So even though it’s not accessed thru the Directvnow interface, it’s still pretty instant after setting up the HBOGO app.
Thanks for the tip. Not sure which way we're gonna go now. Honestly, without adding live channels, we still have plenty to watch, but it honestly felt like we are on vacation where we still have stuff to watch, but it isn't local, so it feels somewhat off.

You mentioned you have tried an antenna.....was it indoor or outdoor?

You mentioned you have tried an antenna.....was it indoor or outdoor?
Mohu leaf inside. Not sure what the regulations are with the hoa for an outside antenna, but even then, we have big houses on small lots, so I'd probably still get interference with an antenna.

I ended dropping the live channels last night before the free trial ran out. Final straw was the new season of Archer, I cloud recorded the first episode, and it looked horribly compressed. Also, the locals weren't as advertised. Sad thing is, I don't think they are out of line for what they offer at $50, but $40 is too much for locals, and probably $11 is too cheap for their streaming platform.

I am not getting channels off my terrestrial antenna on my display downstairs and I have no idea why. I need to look into that.

Back