• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Cutting the Cord?

While a box is available it's not required. The "box" is an Android TV box that also runs other apps from the Google Play Store like Disney+, Netflix, Movies Anywhere. The notable exception is Amazon Prime Video.

I'm more than a little biased because I work at AT&T but a) I don't represent AT&T here and b) it's a really, really good live TV app.

The neat things about "the box" is that it boots directly into the AT&T TV app, the remote is universal and operates my TV and soundbar perfectly, the remote has number buttons so you can enter channels numbers like a old school tv if you want instead of having to access and scroll the guide, the remote its Google Voice enabled and can change channels (just say “watch ESPN”), the box is a Google assistant so you can access those services with your voice if that’s your thing, some apps like Netflix and HBO max appear as channels right in the guide for easier access, the box is also a Chromecast device so you can stream stuff from your mobile devices to the TV if you want too.

But again, “the box” isnt required. You can run the AT&T TV app on Roku, Amazon Fire devices, and most Android TV devices. Many "smart" TVs like Samsungs support it directly. And of course it runs on iOS and Android mobile devices.

It’s great to catch live events on my phone while following my wife around the grocery store. We take an ipad when we go camping and if we get cell coverage watch a little tv before bed. If something goes crazy like .,, I don’t know ... a bunch of people storm Congress ... I can follow events on my phone.

I have the service (obviously) but have only one “box” which we use in the bedroom because of the aforementioned ability to boot directly into the app We use Roku devices on the living room and gym, a firestick in the kitchen and patio, and run it directly from the Samsung TV’s menu on the TVs upstairs.
I miss number buttons, so that's good, but I have Roku's at all my TVs or Roku built in on my TCLs...so having to buy another box...harumph! lol
But...what's with no longer pushing AT&T Now? So, if I was a new signee...I would have to buy the "box", then I could stream via the AT&T TV Now app?

AT&T Now was originally DirecTV Now and the platform is entirely different from AT&T TV ... different channel availability as negotiated when ATT and DTV were different companies at the time, different hardware and software on the back end, different billing systems, etc. They may look the same to a customer but they're still doubling the resources for redundant products.

I'll double check but I'm 99.99% sure that new signees don't "have" to get the box at all if they don't want it. It's just an add-on.

They're pushing the box because it helps differentiate the AT&T TV product and makes easier for some people to use. It also makes it accessible to people (mostly older people) who just want to watch TV like they're used to and don't want to have to deal with having separate accounts and passwords and such required to use a Roku or Firestick.

Again ... it's not required to get a box. You can just install the app and sign-up and your good to go.

AT&T Now was originally DirecTV Now and the platform is entirely different from AT&T TV ... different channel availability as negotiated when ATT and DTV were different companies at the time, different hardware and software on the back end, different billing systems, etc. They may look the same to a customer but they're still doubling the resources for redundant products.

I'll double check but I'm 99.99% sure that new signees don't "have" to get the box at all if they don't want it. It's just an add-on.

They're pushing the box because it helps differentiate the AT&T TV product and makes easier for some people to use. It also makes it accessible to people (mostly older people) who just want to watch TV like they're used to and don't want to have to deal with having separate accounts and passwords and such required to use a Roku or Firestick.

Again ... it's not required to get a box. You can just install the app and sign-up and your good to go.
@Towen7

So, is AT&T TV Now being phased out...over what timeline? I currently have it and found out that my Regional Sports Network (SNY for the Mets) is only available on a higher tier plan. I was considering upgrading to get it, or downgrading because costs keep rising. But now, I'm considering switching "completely" to AT&T TV...

I have to say...AT&T is pretty confusing with everything its buying and steering along in its gigantic ship...I imagine it takes quite a bit, but consolidation and simplification needs to happen.

Separately...I cut the cord because my DirecTV bill was I think north of $200/mo after adding in Sunday Ticket.
Streaming...is starting to become pretty much the same cost. Initially I had some pretty significant savings, but no longer.

@Towen7

So, is AT&T TV Now being phased out...over what timeline? I currently have it and found out that my Regional Sports Network (SNY for the Mets) is only available on a higher tier plan. I was considering upgrading to get it, or downgrading because costs keep rising. But now, I'm considering switching "completely" to AT&T TV...

I have to say...AT&T is pretty confusing with everything its buying and steering along in its gigantic ship...I imagine it takes quite a bit, but consolidation and simplification needs to happen.

Separately...I cut the cord because my DirecTV bill was I think north of $200/mo after adding in Sunday Ticket.
Streaming...is starting to become pretty much the same cost. Initially I had some pretty significant savings, but no longer.

Usual disclaimer ... I work at AT&T but am not representing them here.

There are no plans to retire AT&T TV.
Many networks but Sports networks in particular have complicated streaming rights agreements which results in what you have here. I think that if it were up to AT&T there'd be a single tier with literally every channel from every region available. Would be much easier to manage that way.

What we see happening with all the different streaming platforms is what I worried would be the case as this revolution was gaining steam .. that we'd end up with too many fractured platforms costing as much if not more to access the content we really want.

Usual disclaimer ... I work at AT&T but am not representing them here.

There are no plans to retire AT&T TV.
Many networks but Sports networks in particular have complicated streaming rights agreements which results in what you have here. I think that if it were up to AT&T there'd be a single tier with literally every channel from every region available. Would be much easier to manage that way.

What we see happening with all the different streaming platforms is what I worried would be the case as this revolution was gaining steam .. that we'd end up with too many fractured platforms costing as much if not more to access the content we really want.
The difference is that we can choose to pay for just the services we want, can drop and pick up services whenever we want, choose to pay a little extra to avoid ads, watch what we want when we want and have access to more content that any linear service could ever begin to provide. Imperfect as it is, streaming is a much better world.

The difference is that we can choose to pay for just the services we want, can drop and pick up services whenever we want, choose to pay a little extra to avoid ads, watch what we want when we want and have access to more content that any linear service could ever begin to provide. Imperfect as it is, streaming is a much better world.

Don‘t get me wrong. I’m a fan of streaming services. In fact 100% of our video consumption is over streaming services and I no longer have any legacy satellite or cable service. For me the overwhelming benefit is time and pace shifting and not necessarily cost saving. I can watch live or on-demand content anywhere I happen to be and that’s surprisingly useful.

My point was just that while there are many pros there are cons as well. And for most people to have access to the all of the channels that they enjoyed on a legacy they can end-up spending more money to get the same via streaming ... granted that I'm the bargain they also get benefits like time/place shifting and lack of commercials.

I don't do much place shifting and even watch YouTube on my TV for the most part. I don't subscribe to any live/linear TV services either. I don't watch sports, so I don't see the point. The problem we had was too much content. We dropped Starz last summer and just dropped our paid subscription to Peacock down to free, because we almost never watch it. We will probably keep what we have left (HBO Max, Netflix, Paramount Plus, Disney Plus, YouTube Premium and Amazon Prime), but even that leaves us browsing forever looking for the next show to binge.

i hear you, sometimes you end up wasting so much more time on browsing, instead of finding a flick and just sit with it.

guess the difference with too many choices and netflix back in the day was well, being bombarded with options.

i hear you, sometimes you end up wasting so much more time on browsing, instead of finding a flick and just sit with it.
but even that leaves us browsing forever looking for the next show to binge.

I may the last hold-out but I still see value in linear TV. One reason is exactly this ... sometime I just want to turn on the TV and zone out and not spend a bunch of time finding an app and scrolling through a zillion shows.

I also think there are a bunch of people who like news, sports, and weather but I must admit that weather is probably more important to me than most because of what I do for a living.

I also like that I can DVR linear content that isn't available on-demand or if it is it gets expensive. An example is an that to get on demand access to current seasons of Rick and Morty, Final Space, and Attack on Titan (all shows on cartoon network) I'd need separate Hulu, VRV, and Funimation accounts.

i am one of them. remember back then i kept on asking, will streaming services be able to provide my local news? we tried doing the OTA stuff, but it was just too difficult, given the archaic system we had. it can also DVR, but man, it was painful to set up.

i like regular tv, and i dont see myself cancelling this in a year or two. i wish at times it wasnt as expensive. yes, i have directv, the cheapest option in our area.

gota remember im in norcal too.

Back