• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Digital Copy - WTF

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
Okay, so I bought a pretty powerful laptop and have over 250GB of storage, so I decide to finally break down and download some movies to my harddrive. I have about 20 Blurays that have digital copy discs. So I pull all the movies and about every third one will not allow me to transfer the disc, by giving me a variety of error messages. From Apple Itunes does not recognize the passcode (when it is correct), I got a couple passcode has expired and a few Passcode has already been used. When I (nor my GF) never have used digital copy before. Kinda ticks me off, since I paid extra for these discs for the digital copy features. Any of you guys ever have this issue.

I only recently tried to use my digital copies because I'm just not interested in watching movies on my desktop computer or phone. The digital copy had no bearing on whether bought a movie or not I had no idea that the codes had expiration dates and because of that there were many that didn't work.

Hear that sound?

That's the man, stickin' it to ya....

All this copy protection BS only serves to frustrate those of us who actually pay for the frikkin media.

D

I have about 40 movies that came with Digital Copies, I was able to transfer over 30 of them to iTunes without issue. The remaining ones did not because I didn't know there was an expiration date. Now that I know, I transfer them immediately. The only one that I purchased that was already expired at the time of purchase was Drag Me To Hell but I didn't even know there was a DC in the case anyway...overall I have been pretty pleased in the ease in which the files transferred and can be used on my portable devices. Also, Disney and Warner Bros have been good about helping use a couple expired codes.

^^^
I never would've guessed they'd have started expiring already, if that's part of the problem. That really sucks.

Kazaam said:
^^^
I never would've guessed they'd have started expiring already, if that's part of the problem. That really sucks.

Yup. I had no idea either but the code to activate the DC can expire whenever the studio wants it to, six months after release, a year, never....

Yeah, I'm one of the few advocates here for the inclusion of digital copies, but the expiration date is a crock.

Totally new news for me. I thought a digital copy was forever and you could use it as you see fit. I did not realize they had an expiration date and would then eventually turn into a coaster.

I guess I should just go ahead and stay with DVD strictly if this is going to become the norm. Whether it is $30 or $5, I don't like the idea of paying for something I wouldn't be able to use eventually.

Yesfan70 said:
Totally new news for me. I thought a digital copy was forever and you could use it as you see fit. I did not realize they had an expiration date and would then eventually turn into a coaster.

You can use the DC as you see fit and for as long as you want. The expiration is on the ability to download it in the first place. Once downloaded it's yours to do whatever you want forever. You only need the disc for the initial download. After you dowload the DLC or the expiration date passes the DC disc is indeed a coaster.

I had no idea there was an expiration date. I've got a bunch of them. I bet I'm screwed. Fucking DRM bullshit, suck-bag "alternative" to violating DMCA.

Towen7 said:
Yesfan70 said:

You can use the DC as you see fit and for as long as you want. The expiration is on the ability to download it in the first place. Once downloaded it's yours to do whatever you want forever. You only need the disc for the initial download. After you dowload the DLC or the expiration date passes the DC disc is indeed a coaster.

Can you burn DCs to a DVD? I'm assuming the DCs are DVD quality and not Bluray quality. Seems I read that the DC discs are also stereo only too.

If yes to the above, I may just load them on the PC, then burn them to DVD-Rs. I hate the idea of having to keep them on my PC's hard drive in order to "preserve" them.

The digital copies are low res and DRM protected. They are intended for viewing on a portable device like a phone or iPad. They are fine for that. If your going to go through the effort of hacking the DRM you may as well just rip the DVD.

Just a thought would temp change of my laptops date to say a year ago allow me to bypass the expiration date?

It's worth a try but I doubt it. The code itself is what expires and I'd think that date is also in the studios database...

I just noticed my new Lady Antebellum CD mentions a bonus track that I can download at a website, but that it'd only be available from Jan 26 2010 to Dec 31 2010. At least they told me it was a limited-time offer, but I just bought the CD this week. :angry-tappingfoot:

The studio informs you of the cutoff date for DCs too, If you look closely enough the expiration date is usually on the case back cover, and is always on the insert with the code...

What the flyin f*ck.

I hate digital copies.

This is another f*ckin reason to add on that too.

if im not mistaken you cannot use these on most smartphones anyways right? unless its an iphone correct?

can i use this for my itouch tho?

But whats the point. Can i download this onto my ps3 then?

F*ckin douchebags.

Jomari yes you can use this on your Itouch and one of my movies showed a download specifically for the pep not the ps3 though but that was only one movie out of 20

Towen7 said:
The digital copies are low res and DRM protected. They are intended for viewing on a portable device like a phone or iPad. They are fine for that. If your going to go through the effort of hacking the DRM you may as well just rip the DVD.

Great point as I didn't think of that. Maybe the best bet is to just use the DVD and then edit it the way one would want so they could view on a phone or players.

Another point in why DCs are a waste of money.

Back