• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Direct Tv Now.

I finally pulled the trigger today.
Full disclosure… as an AT&T management employee I get a significant discount on services. But even with that I couldn’t justify what I was paying for linear TV. For what feels like forever I’ve had the highest tier plan with all the premium channels. Over the last year I’ve been slowing reducing that. First premium channels, then slowing dropping down the tiers. I finally signed up for the Gotta Have It plan with about 120 channels, many of which offer at least some on-demand content. So I actually end up with more channels than I had and my net savings will be $30 per month.

I’m giving up my favorite local channel (see above posts) and whole home DVR. Nothing can replace channel 2 news but cloud DVR is coming soon.

I’m a little nervous about not being able to mindlessly flip through the channels, especially at bed time, but I’m sure we’ll adapt.
I think you'll get use to it fairly quick. I'm loving because I'm saving $80.00 A month and getting more channels I like. I didn't have the top HD package with Comcast.

Just stumbled on a neat feature I didn’t know was available.

With many shows you have the ability to go all the way back to the beginning, regardless of when you “tuned in”. Oddly you can’t fast-forward once you do.

After a few days I’m adapting to DirecTV Now but I do miss Uverse’s features like PIP channel preview and the ability to rewind live streams.

The PQ is pretty good and the juddering I’m seeing with fast motion (It’s not as bad as it may sound and my wife doesnt even notice it) appears to be only with certain streams.

Another big plus to switching that I hadn’t considered is getting rid of all the set-top-boxes.

After a few days I’m adapting to DirecTV Now but I do miss Uverse’s features like PIP channel preview and the ability to rewind live streams.

The PQ is pretty good and the juddering I’m seeing with fast motion (It’s not as bad as it may sound and my wife doesnt even notice it) appears to be only with certain streams.

Another big plus to switching that I hadn’t considered is getting rid of all the set-top-boxes.
I was so happy to lose those damn boxes! I'm not a DVR guy but I hear that feature is very close to launching. Glad u like it.

I was so happy to lose those damn boxes! I'm not a DVR guy but I hear that feature is very close to launching. Glad u like it.

Yeah ... around the office all I hear about cloud DVR is “soon”.
I’m not a big DVR guy either but the wife likes to record a soap opera.

But U-verse lets you pause and rewind live channels (you can only go back to the point that you tuned into that channel). That was super useful if you want to see that last sports play again, or re-watch an important scene.

Yeah ... around the office all I hear about cloud DVR is “soon”.
I’m not a big DVR guy either but the wife likes to record a soap opera.

But U-verse lets you pause and rewind live channels (you can only go back to the point that you tuned into that channel). That was super useful if you want to see that last sports play again, or re-watch an important scene.
Never used a DVR feature but if you have it doesn't that automatically give you the feature of rewind and pause on the show your watching?

Never used a DVR feature but if you have it doesn't that automatically give you the feature of rewind and pause on the show your watching?

With a typical, disc based DVR yes but only if you press the record button every time you change channels. U-verse buffers everything through the DVR so you can rewind without having to tell it to record.

With a typical, disc based DVR yes but only if you press the record button every time you change channels. U-verse buffers everything through the DVR so you can rewind without having to tell it to record.
Ok, I thought they all worked like the U-Verse. Seems like the best way.

Aaaaand another thing …
With U-verse I had the west Coast feed of several channels, essentially the same content but on a two hour delay. This was cool and expanded opportunities to see some content without having to DVR them.

I’m not sure when it happened but this morning I noticed that my local NBC affiliate, KPRC Channel 2, was on the DirecTV Now service. I didn't get a notification email or anything but I’m glad they appear to be working on adding channels.

I’m not sure when it happened but this morning I noticed that my local NBC affiliate, KPRC Channel 2, was on the DirecTV Now service. I didn't get a notification email or anything but I’m glad they appear to be working on adding channels.

Yeah, I've had similar experiences with new channels showing up. Sometimes I get an email and sometimes I don't. Either way, I am glad to see more channels getting on board.

Anyone with D*Now...what are your ISP speeds?
Currently have Optimum 100Mbps down...wondering if I need to upgrade to 200 or 300 (or even 400).
With all the online devices in the house working at the same time, I don't want any issues with the video.

I'm going to signup for the 7 day free trial and see if I like it.
Apparently a negative is commercials being in on Demand
stuff since you can't tell what is an HBO On Demand movie (no commercials) and a regular TV On Demand move (commercials).

And even as I type this while on the phone with my ISP, upgrading to 200 or 300 is the same price.
An additional $10 over what I pay now.
300 here I come!

Anyone with D*Now...what are your ISP speeds?
Currently have Optimum 100Mbps down...wondering if I need to upgrade to 200 or 300 (or even 400).
With all the online devices in the house working at the same time, I don't want any issues with the video.

I'm going to signup for the 7 day free trial and see if I like it.
Apparently a negative is commercials being in on Demand
stuff since you can't tell what is an HBO On Demand movie (no commercials) and a regular TV On Demand move (commercials).

I've got 45Mbps Internet service.
I have the service running on three TVs, one is hardwired to the internet line, two on wifi.

I do notice very occasional video drops but when it happens it seems to be related to a specific channel and not the entire service.

I'm at 100mps. With that said I never see actual speeds that hi. The only time my Directv Now signal is either lost or I lose picture quality is when my speeds drop into the 20's or less.

The DTV Now service desperately needs a DVR function. I’m under the impression it’ll be available soon but it can’t get here soon enough. When I sit down to watch TV it’s almost never at the top or bottom of the hour. I find myself choosing the on-demand services like Hulu to see a program from the beginning... and without commercials.

One big advantage to getting a “live TV” service is getting current season content. But without a DVR I’ll still end up missing most of what I’d want to see.

The DTV Now service desperately needs a DVR function. I’m under the impression it’ll be available soon but it can’t get here soon enough. When I sit down to watch TV it’s almost never at the top or bottom of the hour. I find myself choosing the on-demand services like Hulu to see a program from the beginning... and without commercials.

One big advantage to getting a “live TV” service is getting current season content. But without a DVR I’ll still end up missing most of what I’d want to see.
I'm lucky in that regard. The only live TV I watch are news channels, business channels. I also watch history, discovery, and the velocity chanel. All these type of channels offer reruns of everything all the time. Also they are not the type of shows I sit and wait to watch. The networks offer nothing that interests me in the least. I find network shows to be watererd down and extremely safe/predictable.

I'm lucky in that regard. The only live TV I watch are news channels, business channels. I also watch history, discovery, and the velocity chanel. All these type of channels offer reruns of everything all the time. Also they are not the type of shows I sit and wait to watch. The networks offer nothing that interests me in the least. I find network shows to be watererd down and extremely safe/predictable.

Other than the local news I don’t watch much network TV. When I have time to kill I history or science oriented documentary shows. From time to time I’ll watch a show like Archer it Brockmire but I tend to prefer to binge watch those.

My point is that other than locals news and sports a live service without a DVR is kinda weak.

IMO, after futzing with the Beta DVR, it’s not ready. It’s not very intuitive to use.

Back